• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

RIP Ian "Lemmy" Kilminster: Killed By Death

C_Mucius_Scaevola

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Raised a glass in memory last night. Raising a metal fist* in tribute today \m/

No moments of silence will be observed.

*I know Lemmy did not like the Heavy Metal label, just like many of the hard rockers of his age, but Metal would not be the same without him.

CNN is reporting he was just diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer the day aft Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised if he took the easy way out.

It's strange that Lemmy is such a well known character as I don't think Motorhead featured much in the mainstream. The only song I know is "Ace of Spades" which was released decades ago. I vaguely remember Motorhead making an appearance on a UK comedy series "The Young Ones" (RIP Rik Mayal) and they did Ace of Spades.

Hard rock doesn't get any grimier, does it?

What I always found amusing was Motorhead's version of Louie, Louie:

Lemmy spoke and sang like he had a mouth full of pebbles, and yet his version of Louie, Louie has better enunciation and elocution than the more famous Kingsmen version of the song. It is hard to comprehend the idea that there is a singer out there who is harder to understand than Lemmy.

And let's not forget his time in Hawkwind (pre-Motorhead).
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yao_T2adl14[/YOUTUBE]

lemmy1.jpg

French newspaper Liberation's frontpage announcement of Lemmy's death. How very appropriate. :D

It's strange that Lemmy is such a well known character as I don't think Motorhead featured much in the mainstream. The only song I know is "Ace of Spades" which was released decades ago. I vaguely remember Motorhead making an appearance on a UK comedy series "The Young Ones" (RIP Rik Mayal) and they did Ace of Spades.

Lemmy/Motorhead is one of those B or C level bands whose actual fame is greatly outweighed by their influence. It's difficult to find a single thrash/speed/heavy rock act that didn't like or wasn't influenced in some important way by Motorhead. And just look at Lemmy and listen to his voice. He's the anti-everything in terms of pop culture. He was ugly, grimy, foul mouthed, and fiercely independent. He's the consummate rebel who told everyone to fuck off and still made it.

Me and a friend were talking about other bands that are similar to Motorhead who never achieved fame beyond B or C status, but who had a tremendous influence in hard rock. Blue Oyster Cult is a band that had a hit here and there but never truly hit it big ala the bands that loved them like Iron Maiden or Priest or the Scorpions. And speaking of the Scorpions, Rudolph Schenker enjoyed greater commercial success than his far more influential brother, Michael Schenker.

UFO and Michael Schenker, like B.O.C and Motorhead, never truly hit the big time but had this large groundswell of fans and influence on other bands and individual musicians.

I guess maybe these types of bands and musicians play the role of muse to others who do find the right formula to hit it big.

Lemmy/Motorhead is one of those B or C level bands whose actual fame is greatly outweighed by their influence. It's difficult to find a single thrash/speed/heavy rock act that didn't like or wasn't influenced in some important way by Motorhead. And just look at Lemmy and listen to his voice. He's the anti-everything in terms of pop culture. He was ugly, grimy, foul mouthed, and fiercely independent. He's the consummate rebel who told everyone to fuck off and still made it.

Fair play to Lemmy/Motorhead for their success in their niche market and beyond. I'm vaguely aware of them despite never hearing any of their music other than "Ace of Spades". The heavy/thrash rock thang is just not my scene.

Fair play to Lemmy/Motorhead for their success in their niche market and beyond. I'm vaguely aware of them despite never hearing any of their music other than "Ace of Spades". The heavy/thrash rock thang is just not my scene.

Back in the 1980s, the main thing that made them notable was that both metalheads and punks liked them. It was about the only thing those two camps could agree on musically.

Back in the 1980s, the main thing that made them notable was that both metalheads and punks liked them. It was about the only thing those two camps could agree on musically.

Well, except for the fact that the crossover movement happened in the '80s. That is when punk met thrash, and they fell in love.

Here are some notable crossover bands that hit the scene in the '80s:
Agnostic Front
Biohazard
Corrosion of Conformity
Cro-Mags
DRI
Gang Green
Life of Agony
MOD
Nuclear Assault
Prong
SOD