• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

Morbidly curious: anyone know if the TX law limits the number of possible lawsuits -- that is, if a woman is being sued for having an abortion in the seventh week, does the lawsuit have to come from the first to file? Can other claimants jump on board?

My understanding is that the entire Great State of Texas can jump on board. So 30,000,000 x $10,000 ... a three hundred billion dollar fine should keep that beotch from trying that baby killing thing again!
...plus legal fees.

I ponder what level in the Texas Court system you need to reach before they say "WTF is this?! Legal standing to a disinterested third party, based on hearsay?"

Morbidly curious: anyone know if the TX law limits the number of possible lawsuits -- that is, if a woman is being sued for having an abortion in the seventh week, does the lawsuit have to come from the first to file? Can other claimants jump on board?

No limit on the number of lawsuits, but the payout is limited to $10k per abortion per individual. Note that this doesn't include legal costs.

Texas judge issues injunction against anti-abortion group on enforcing new law

(CNN)A Texas state judge issued an injunction against anti-abortion group Texas Right to Life, blocking it from trying to enforce the new six-week abortion ban against Planned Parenthood in Texas.

The injunction, issued by Judge Karin Crump of the Travis County court, applies to anyone affiliated with the group and stops them from filing a lawsuit against Planned Parenthood for any potential violation of SB8, the law that effectively bans most abortions in Texas. The law gives private citizens the power to enforce it.

This order applies only to Texas Right to Life and is part of a larger -- and piecemeal -- approach by abortion rights advocates to try to blunt the effect of the law. Other short-term temporary restraining orders are in place against other anti-abortion advocates, and more permanent injunctions are being sought in those cases.

But the impact of the Texas law, which the Supreme Court allowed to stand earlier this month, has already been felt as abortion clinics in the state have largely stopped performing abortions for women more than six weeks pregnant for fear of litigation from private parties.

This is going to be interesting for the Democrats. The GOP kind of fucked up here. They have been signing bullshit legislation like this for decades, but courts always intervened. With SCOTUS providing a *pass* on review of this terribly undemocratic legislation, it actually went live... and women are now being impacted. And this isn't a woman's tax. This is a pretty substantial deal! Having a child is a pretty big thing. Being forced to have a child can make some women get angry at those in power.

In general, the GOP in DC is silent on this for this very reason. They fear that getting what they've been wanting all this time (and isn't what the majority of people want) could have serious repercussions at the voting booths. This is nation wide usable advertising for Democrat campaigns.

I read that this approach to avoiding the constitution is being considered in "blue states" to bypass the 4th amendment now that Texas was successful at it. Laws are being proposed that any "private citizen" (read, anti-<fill in the blank> organization) can sue any person that was involved in the provisioning of a firearm if that firearm was used to harm another citizen.... the manufacturer, the retailer, the range where the person ever fired a round in practice, the retailer of ammo... anyone who drove the person anywhere with the firearm in possession, etc...

Wow Gun Nut, It seems American's still fall for the old okey-doke.

How A Spending Bill Without The Hyde Amendment Could Reshape Abortion Access | HuffPost
For the first time since the Hyde Amendment was introduced in 1976, the House advanced a spending bill without it this week, opening up the possibility of affordable abortion care for millions more people.

A subcommittee in the Democrat-controlled chamber voted Monday to move President Joe Biden’s spending bill for the Department of Health and Human Services without the controversial amendment. It marked the first time in more than four decades that a provision banning the use of federal spending on most abortions ― a rule that’s made abortion inaccessible to the millions of women who receive health care through government-sponsored plans like Medicaid ― was excluded from the HHS budget proposal.
The removal of the Hyde Amendment may or may not survive the Senate. Let's see what Kyrsten Sinema thinks.

Rep. Ayanna Pressley has a long history of being abortion-friendly. This is when she was still a Boston City Councilmember:
Councilor Pressley Sept 2016 Hyde Amendement Resolution.pdf calling for repealing it.

2019: The Root: 'Hyde's Days Are Numbered:' Reps. Ayanna Pressley, Barbara Lee, and AOC Vow to Repeal Law That Restricts Abortions for Low-Income Women | Representative Ayanna Pressley

2020: Reps. Pressley, Lee, Schakowsky and Ocasio-Cortez Introduce Amendment to Strip Discriminatory Hyde Amendment from Labor-HHS Appropriations Bill | Representative Ayanna Pressley

2021: Representatives Lee, DeGette, Schakowsky, Pressley Joined with Senators Duckworth, Murray, and Hirono to Reintroduce the EACH Act & Repeal the Harmful and Discriminatory Hyde Amendment

Rep. Pressley’s Statement on Removal of Hyde Amendment in Biden FY22 Budget | Representative Ayanna Pressley

I could try to correlate the cosponsors with govtrack.us ideology, or maybe also DW-NOMINATE ideology.

Back in 2019, Rep. Pramila Jayapal's New York Times Op-Ed: 'I Had An Abortion' | Crooks and Liars - "Women sometimes need to have an abortion. It's a constitutionally protected right, and that is the end of the argument."

Opinion | Rep. Pramila Jayapal: The Story of My Abortion - The New York Times - "What it taught me about the deeply personal nature of reproductive choice."
She started with how her first child was born prematurely, at 6 months. He/she was in intensive care for the first few months because he/she was not well-developed enough to survive in his/her own. The child's troubles did not end then. "In the ensuing years, we faced endless trips to the emergency room because of weak lungs and repeated pneumonia, a seizure and delays in speaking that made us worry about the future." She gave birth to him/her in an emergency Caesarean section.

She learned that any future children were likely to be equally sickly and troublesome for her, so she and her husband diligently tried to avoid starting new children. But she nevertheless ended up becoming pregnant.
I decided I could not responsibly have the baby. It was a heartbreaking decision, but it was the only one I was capable of making.

The doctor who performed my abortion was incredible: extremely skilled, thoughtful, kind and compassionate. She knew and had seen, over and over again, what it took for women to make these choices. My husband, too, knew that it had to be my decision and offered only support and comfort through the most difficult moments.

I am fortunate to live in a state where pregnant people’s right to make choices about their own bodies is protected, where so many less fortunate than me can still afford to have abortions, without encountering barriers like forced counseling and waiting periods. The network around me helped me to exercise my own choice, rather than imposing someone else’s views on me.

Back in 2019, Rep. Pramila Jayapal's New York Times Op-Ed: 'I Had An Abortion' | Crooks and Liars - "Women sometimes need to have an abortion. It's a constitutionally protected right, and that is the end of the argument."

Opinion | Rep. Pramila Jayapal: The Story of My Abortion - The New York Times - "What it taught me about the deeply personal nature of reproductive choice."
She started with how her first child was born prematurely, at 6 months. He/she was in intensive care for the first few months because he/she was not well-developed enough to survive in his/her own. The child's troubles did not end then. "In the ensuing years, we faced endless trips to the emergency room because of weak lungs and repeated pneumonia, a seizure and delays in speaking that made us worry about the future." She gave birth to him/her in an emergency Caesarean section.

She learned that any future children were likely to be equally sickly and troublesome for her, so she and her husband diligently tried to avoid starting new children. But she nevertheless ended up becoming pregnant.
I decided I could not responsibly have the baby. It was a heartbreaking decision, but it was the only one I was capable of making.

The doctor who performed my abortion was incredible: extremely skilled, thoughtful, kind and compassionate. She knew and had seen, over and over again, what it took for women to make these choices. My husband, too, knew that it had to be my decision and offered only support and comfort through the most difficult moments.

I am fortunate to live in a state where pregnant people’s right to make choices about their own bodies is protected, where so many less fortunate than me can still afford to have abortions, without encountering barriers like forced counseling and waiting periods. The network around me helped me to exercise my own choice, rather than imposing someone else’s views on me.

So, eugenics.

Cori Bush tells abortion story for the first time after Texas ban upheld | News | webstercountycitizen.com
At a reproductive rights rally on the steps of the Old Courthouse Thursday, Congresswoman Cori Bush told a story she had never shared publicly before: the story of a young girl in St. Louis who became pregnant before she was ready, and was ostracized by loved ones after choosing to pursue an abortion. “She went through a lot, but services were available to treat her,” Bush remembered.

“That woman now stands before you as your United States Congresswoman,” Bush said.

Now, Bush is joining Mayor Tishaura Jones and other local lawmakers in pushing back against attempts by Missouri Republican legislators to make abortions illegal in the state.

“If these bills are allowed to pass, each and every one of us will be impacted, starting with Black and Brown and LGBTQ folks first,” Bush said. “Because everyone knows someone who has had an abortion.”
"Now, in Missouri, State Rep. Mary Elizabeth Coleman, R-Arnold, said she plans to introduce a bill that is similar to the Texas law."

In MO, abortions are legal only up to 8 weeks, with a 72-hour waiting period (3 days). Only one abortion clinic continues to be open, and many Missourians go to nearby states, like Illinois, to get abortions.
If patients can’t book appointments at Missouri’s one abortion clinic, they have to go to Illinois, which many patients find financially impossible. And clinics are further strained by the Texas news: patients from Texas are already flocking to St. Louis and Granite City-area clinics to access abortion care, as the states between Texas and here, Arkansas and Oklahoma, also introduce highly restrictive abortion legislation.

ACLU of Missouri on Twitter: "
📣📣 Today, come out for the rally to #StopTheBans and attacks on reproductive freedoms in Missouri.
🗓 Thurs. 9/9
⏰1 PM
🗺️ STL Old Courthouse
info: (links)" / Twitter

then
Cori Bush on Twitter: "SB 8 in Texas is just the tip of the iceberg. Now Missouri is looking to introduce a copycat law.

We're not going to let our reproductive freedoms get taken away without a fight. See you at the rally, St. Louis." / Twitter

'Stop Abortion Bans' Rally Draws Missouri Leaders Who Pledge Fight For Reproductive Freedom | News Blog
Leading with her activist roots, Missouri Representative Cori Bush began a chant on the steps of the Old Courthouse.

“When reproductive freedom is under attack, what do we do?” Bush asked the crowd.

Stand up, fight back!” the crowd chorused back to her.

More than 100 people gathered on the steps and around the Old Courthouse on September 9 to listen to Bush, St. Louis Mayor Tishaura Jones and other local leaders speak out against the six-week abortion ban in Texas and the copycat laws that are sure to follow.

Reproductive Health Services of Planned Parenthood’s St. Louis Region President and CEO Yamelsie Rodríguez was one of the speakers at Thursday's rally. She made sure to note that just because it was Texas’ abortion ban doesn’t mean this won’t affect Missouri.

“Let me be crystal clear, this is not just a Texas problem, it’s everybody’s problem,” Rodríguez told the crowd. “We don’t have to guess what a post-Roe world looks like. That day has already arrived if you’re a patient with a low income, if you live in one of the 90 percent of counties without an abortion provider, and now, almost certainly, if you are a patient who lives in Texas. Now is the time to get loud.”
Complete with abortion tourism. Texas Effectively Bans Abortion, St. Louis-Area Clinics Spring Into Action | News Blog

So, eugenics.
Not according to the definition in Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics ), or in the Cambridge dictionary ( https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/eugenics ). What definition do you have in mind?

Justice Dept. sues Texas over state's new abortion law

State abortion restrictions:
  • 6 weeks -- TX
  • 20 weeks * -- MS
  • 22 weeks -- IN, KS, NE, OK, SD, WI, WV
  • 22 weeks * -- AL, AR, GA, IA, ID, KY, LA, ND, OH, SC
  • 24 weeks -- FL, MA, NV, PA
  • 3rd trimester -- VA
  • Fetal viability -- CA, CT, DE, HI, IL, ME, MI, MN, MT, NY, RI, WA, WY
  • Fetal viability * -- AZ, MO, NC, TN, UT
  • None -- AK, CO, NH, NJ, NM, OR, VT
A * is where courts have blocked more restrictive laws. 3rd trimester is ~ 25 weeks.

Josh Campbell on Twitter: "It was interesting how many California voters I spoke with at the polls said the Texas abortion ban motivated them to come out and vote against the recall of their governor." / Twitter

NARAL on Twitter: "“A law like this has very real implications for people in Texas past the six-week mark of their pregnancy, who will not be able to get the care they need and see private citizens being incentivized to try and intimidate them from seeking that care.” (link)" / Twitter
noting
Texas Congressional Candidate Jessica Cisneros Isn’t Done Fighting for Abortion Rights | Vogue
Has an interview with her on that subject.
Vogue: When do you first remember hearing about S.B. 8?

Jessica Cisneros: I can’t remember specifically, but it must have been around when it had its first hearing in the Texas legislature. Some of my friends are involved in reproductive-justice work, so I knew pretty early on what the dangers of this bill were. Ultimately, it was all about keeping track of when it was set to become law and about the emotional toll that it took on reproductive-justice advocates.

Were you optimistic that the bill wouldn’t pass, or did you see this coming to some extent?

From an advocate’s perspective, given the number of Republicans in the Texas legislature, it was just going to be about damage control. Reproductive-justice advocates weren’t that optimistic, ultimately, even though they were obviously doing everything they could to try to stop it, but the attack on reproductive health care seemed pretty inevitable.

Jessica Cisneros on Twitter: "Now that #SB8 has gone into effect, we need to understand that it’s women of color & low-income communities that will be most harmed. Those with the resources & connections will always receive the care they need. But many don’t have the same luxury of choice." / Twitter

Back
Top Bottom