• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roe v Wade is on deck

Metaphor said:
Then why did you mention it at all?
Why did I mention your delusional claim about abortion rights in a discussion about the SCOTUS’s decision rescinding those rights?
Because it was relevant,

Metaphor said:
Because AOC has publically declared the Justices lied under oath and should be impeached.

Making a swipe at a woman does not make the swipe 'misogynistic'. Try again. Or don't.
No one said it did. But don’t try again.

Metaphor said:
Why did I mention your delusional claim about abortion rights in a discussion about the SCOTUS’s decision rescinding those rights?
Because it was relevant,
I made no delusional claims.

Metaphor said:
Because AOC has publically declared the Justices lied under oath and should be impeached.

Making a swipe at a woman does not make the swipe 'misogynistic'. Try again. Or don't.
You called it misogynistic, without explaining what made it misogynistic. Either you'll explain your reasoning or you won't.

The US Supreme Court could have stopped this. In fact, they created this. I'm very interested in Metaphor's opinion as to why this isn't their fault. Because, like I said, the Supreme Court could have stopped this.

Metaphor said:
Because it was relevant,

Metaphor said:

You called it misogynistic, without explaining what made it misogynistic. Either you'll explain your reasoning or you won't.
Many have publicly stated that those justices lied. Why swipe at AOC?

Metaphor said:
Because it was relevant,
You are mistaken. In post 2024 you wrote
It doesn't "take away" the right. It says the Constitution never provided such a right.
The right to an abortion was clearly established in Roe v Wade in 1973 by the SCOTUS. It was reaffirmed in 1992 by SCOTUS. So the right existed. This ruling eliminates that right.

It is counterfactual to claim this decision does not rescind that right. Given its the blatantly illogical and falseness of your claim,, it seems to me your claim is delusional.

However, if you prefer the description of "imbecilic" or "lie" which are consistent with the content of your claim, I am fine with that.

Last edited:
Metaphor said:
Because it was relevant,

Metaphor said:

Because AOC is the one I'm aware of. She has quite the social media presence in case you were not aware, and her own perpetual thread on this board.

Metaphor said:
Because it was relevant,
It doesn't "take away" the right. It says the Constitution never provided such a right.
The right to an abortion was clearly established in Roe v Wade in 1973 by the SCOTUS. It was reaffirmed in 1992 by SCOTUS. So the right existed. This ruling eliminates that right.
That's why I have 'take away' in inverted commas. It was a right, but it was created in error. It should not have existed. It's like nullifying a marriage, or when $20,000 is deposited into your bank account by accident. When the transaction is corrected, the money will be 'taken away' but it should never have been there in the first place.

The US Supreme Court could have stopped this. In fact, they created this. I'm very interested in Metaphor's opinion as to why this isn't their fault. Because, like I said, the Supreme Court could have stopped this.
What you appear to be saying is: the Supreme Court should have written a legal opinion it does not believe, to head off undesirable social outcomes.

I do not believe the Supreme Court or any court should do that.

Metaphor said:
Because it was relevant,
That's why I have 'take away' in inverted commas. It was a right, but it was created in error. It should not have existed. It's like nullifying a marriage, or when $20,000 is deposited into your bank account by accident. When the transaction is corrected, the money will be 'taken away' but it should never have been there in the first place.
SCOTUS established the right. The right existed for 50 years. Women had access to abortions. Then SCOTUS rescinded the right. Now they do not. So that right that existed for 50 years was taken away (inverted commas or not).

Your claim that the right should not have existed is bootstrapping because the only evidence you have is the current ruling. Legal rights are a product of law. They do not exist independently of laws and legal rulings. There is no logical reason to say one ruling has precedence over the other one. Which means there is no logical reason for anyone to claim that abortion as a right should not have existed.

Metaphor said:
Because it was relevant,
SCOTUS established the right.
Yes, it established a legal right (the State you live in can't forbid abortion) based on its understanding of the Constitution. The current court says that understanding was wrong.

The right existed for 50 years. Women had access to abortions. Then SCOTUS rescinded the right.
Not quite. The Court said "the State you live in can decide to restrict abortions", not "you no longer have a right to an abortion".

Now they do not. So that right that existed for 50 years was taken away (inverted commas or not).

Your claim that the right should not have existed is bootstrapping because the only evidence you have is the current ruling.
Yes. Later cases can overrule earlier ones.

Legal rights are a product of law. They do not exist independently of laws and legal rulings. There is no logical reason to say one ruling has precedence over the other one.
The ruling does not say "the Constitutional right existed up until 2022, and now there is no Constitutional right". Rather, it is surely rejecting the reasoning for the 1973 decision as wrong, and the Constitutional right created by the ruling was created in error.

Which means there is no logical reason for anyone to claim that abortion as a right should not have existed.
If the current court is legally correct, a federal Constitutional right forbidding states from forbidding abortions was a legal fiction.

What you appear to be saying is: the Supreme Court should have written a legal opinion it does not believe, to head off undesirable social outcomes.

And I believe Laws are made in the interest of society. I also have the antiquated opinion that every legal decision should also include context. The US Supreme Court's decision on Roe v Wade had four-fifths of fuck all context. Obvious to most, but not apparently to you, and for that you have my most sincere apologies.

Metaphor said:
Because it was relevant,

Metaphor said:

Because AOC is the one I'm aware of. She has quite the social media presence in case you were not aware, and her own perpetual thread on this board.
Look, just because you're obsessed with her doesn't mean she's the one stalking YOU.

I mean, how many women and young girls have had to seek out an abortion because some man thought she was "asking for it" with the way she dressed?

And I believe Laws are made in the interest of society. I also have the antiquated opinion that every legal decision should also include context. The US Supreme Court's decision on Roe v Wade had four-fifths of fuck all context. Obvious to most, but not apparently to you, and for that you have my most sincere apologies.
The Supreme Court should make judgments based on legal reasoning, not the political climate. My most sincere apologies that you think otherwise.

Metaphor said:
Because it was relevant,

Metaphor said:

Look, just because you're obsessed with her doesn't mean she's the one stalking YOU.
I'm not obsessed. I think one person on this board is, and it's the person who has started a perpetual AOC thread to document every single utterance she makes.

I mean, how many women and young girls have had to seek out an abortion because some man thought she was "asking for it" with the way she dressed?
Was this non-sequitur a response to something else?

Back
Top Bottom