• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Roy Moore: America “was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery”

sharon45

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/7/16748038/roy-moore-slavery-america-great

When asked earlier this year when America was last great, Moore acknowledged, according to the Los Angeles Times, that the country had a history of racial tensions. Then he answered the question: “I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another. … Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”
Once again, Moore is wallowing in victimhood.

And what fucking direction was that? To go west, driving out the native tribes and claim the land? At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if that was his answer.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/7/16748038/roy-moore-slavery-america-great

When asked earlier this year when America was last great, Moore acknowledged, according to the Los Angeles Times, that the country had a history of racial tensions. Then he answered the question: “I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another. … Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”

I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of a slave. How would slave families (or even some poor and/or indentured servants) actually be kept together since the masters could sell them off or disrupt their families, including all kinds of misconduct.

When considering non-slaves, I don't even know what he means. Is he talking about divorce or something?

He is clearly referring to the common practice of older men marrying 14 to 16 year olds.

This is why I never name an era that I thought had something good about it.

If you look at an era and say "this era had good things and bad things, this is one of the good things" people react with "you just said the bad things were good."

If you look at an era and say "this era had good things and bad things, this is one of the good things" people react with "you just said the bad things were good."

No, that's not what happened. Also, families stayed together because divorce was near impossible and women were subservient which is what Moore wants. He's not a victim here.

No, that's not what happened. Also, families stayed together because divorce was near impossible and women were subservient which is what Moore wants. He's not a victim here.
I easily see Moore as a victim, since he is hopelessly stuck in the far past and not going to get what he supposedly wants.

Oh come come now Vox. Let's not go off the deep end with this. All the judge is saying is all our blacks would be housed, fed, and gainfully employed. Any good and sensible southern man would agree.

He was not asked to name something good about that era. He was asked when was the last time America was great. He has to reach back 160+ years to find a time when America was great? Really? And it's because he claims families cared for each other. Like he's going to know how much families loved each other then compared to now.

Oh, and the country had a direction. Like heading for a civil war.

Yeah. When my wife first came here she was horrified at the marriage-hopping she saw. Over time she has come to see that what is really going on is that here when a marriage fails they generally split, she's from a culture where marriage was for life even if they failed. Most of her relatives are in basically failed marriages.

I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of a slave. How would slave families (or even some poor and/or indentured servants) actually be kept together since the masters could sell them off or disrupt their families, including all kinds of misconduct.

When considering non-slaves, I don't even know what he means. Is he talking about divorce or something?

Funny thing - enslaved people weren't considered to be married at all. They were encouraged to procreate, but families were routinely separated by force by slavers, for a profit.

So, yet again, Moorlester fails a test of basic ethics. Not that this is a surprise or anything...

"In America you'll get food to eat
Won't have to run through the jungle
And scuff up your feet
You'll just sing about Jesus and drink wine all day
It's great to be an American
Ain't no lions or tigers ain't no mamba snake
Just the sweet watermelon and the buckwheat cake
Everybody is as happy as a man can be
Climb aboard little wog sail away with me
Sail away sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
Sail away-sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
In America every man is free"
-Randy Newman - Sail Away

Isn't family cohesion inversely proportional to social security and the ability of individuals to prosper independently?
Close families = hard times.

With Moore, a united family actually means group think, i. e. Christian. We are obviously way too godless these days.

Sadly it looks like he's going to win. He'll hit on girls in DC with the line: Let me introduce you to the junior senator from Alabama.

Back
Top Bottom