• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Running some rough numbers on medicare for all

Don't forget the restoration of reasonable drug pricing and equipment pricing and economy of scale at pretty much maximum. Don't forget there would also be about a 2.5% administrative cost for single payer versus a 20+% profit margin for a health insurance companies.. We could easily eliminate doughnut holes and other garbage like that if we had a socially responsible government. Virtually everything could be more realistically priced. Also if there were SOP diagnostic procedures that would bring medical treatment to bear far earlier in disease progression than is now possible. This kind of problem is a legacy we have been stuck with because the for profit delivery of health care has allowed poorer people to go untreated longer. This is precisely the legacy we should not be leaving behind us.

None of you are getting it. You are only thinking about how much you pay in and how much you imagine you will get in terms services. Do any of you know anyone I the medical profession? Please take seriously: providers are trying to limit the number of Medicare patients because they lose money on Medicaid patients just as they do on Medicaid patients. I work for a very well known, very well respected. in fact, renowned, medical provider which has been pushing every single area to find the maximum cost saving possible without harming patients for several years, at least. They are still losing enormous amounts of money annually on medicare and Medicaid patients, while also providing huge dollar amounts of free care for charity cases. This is simply a much larger scale than most, if not all hospitals and clinics.

This is creating an impending crisis in medical care in the US.

Somebody explain to me why your employer should pay for your health care coverage. Short of extreme occupational hazards (like black lung in miners), it makes no sense to me.

Somebody explain to me why your employer should pay for your health care coverage. Short of extreme occupational hazards (like black lung in miners), it makes no sense to me.

Something about having a healthy workforce. If you get sick or break your arm you can recover and get back to work quicker if you have access to care.

aa

Offering health care coverage has historically been an attractive benefit that employers can offer in order to attract and retain the best possible employees. In fact, this is a significant reason that I am working where I work: extremely good health insurance and other benefits. The retirement benefits are not as good as when I started, but not bad.

Back
Top Bottom