• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sanders Supporters Should Not Quit On Him Now

I wish I could've told Bernie he should be telling the poor and disenfranchised that they need to vote, and it doesn't even matter who they vote for. "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" is better than not voting at all.

Unless Moe is a total prick. I think if they are going to vote in total ignorance it's better they don't vote at all. I think they should vote for the candidate they think will identify with the things they care about.

Ignorance is what got us in the shit storm we've been in for the past 15 years.

I wish I could've told Bernie he should be telling the poor and disenfranchised that they need to vote, and it doesn't even matter who they vote for. "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" is better than not voting at all.

Unless Moe is a total prick. I think if they are going to vote in total ignorance it's better they don't vote at all. I think they should vote for the candidate they think will identify with the things they care about.

There you go again, Tristan, with your elitist thinking. Actually the principles of democracy are not super complex as you would make them...demanding experts tell us what to do, who we ought to be thinking about killing, and who is smart enough to vote.:rolleyes:

I wasn't promoting ignorance. But if by total ignorance you mean voting randomly then the totally ignorant votes cancel out, so there's no harm done. If you mean they're more likely to vote against your interests, which might be totally worthy, then its up to your candidates to get out there and educate them. But if they're in a community that tends not to vote where's the percentage in that? I'll reiterate that politicians will do anything to get votes.

There you go again, Tristan, with your elitist thinking. Actually the principles of democracy are not super complex as you would make them...demanding experts tell us what to do, who we ought to be thinking about killing, and who is smart enough to vote.:rolleyes:

Nobody is demanding to be told anything.

The system is such that the people have no power.

When you have no power you do as you are told by those with power. Or suffer.

I don't know what you are talking about, but go ahead and be uncivil and make your little bigoted comments. I'm sure it's much easier for you than having an actual discussion. This country is deeply divided because of people like Limbaugh, Beck and you.

I wasn't promoting ignorance. But if by total ignorance you mean voting randomly then the totally ignorant votes cancel out, so there's no harm done. If you mean they're more likely to vote against your interests, which might be totally worthy, then its up to your candidates to get out there and educate them. But if they're in a community that tends not to vote where's the percentage in that? I'll reiterate that politicians will do anything to get votes.

EEny meenie, etc, sounds like total ignorance to me, but maybe you meant something else. I have no problem with someone voting for someone I don't agree with. Have I posted something that made you think that?

EEny meenie, etc, sounds like total ignorance to me, but maybe you meant something else. I have no problem with someone voting for someone I don't agree with. Have I posted something that made you think that?

If I really want to vote because I really want candidates to try and get my vote but I really don't know anything about either one (say, someone running for judge or sheriff) should I not vote? And if I think the Dem vs Rep isn't important in this case what should I do? Apply Kant's Categorical Imperative and vote randomly so that the net effect is null. But I will and I should insist on being counted. In the case where I'm not totally ignorant (or maybe just totally confused) then I should of course express my opinion. But laziness or disgust with the system should not be an excuse.

Wouldn't voting "randomly" wind up getting influenced by things like the physical position of the candidate's names on the ticket and the sounds of the names themselves? Maybe gender or race would play a role? I don't think you could really get a true randomness going on. It isn't like folks will go in and use a random number generator or roll dice.

Wouldn't voting "randomly" wind up getting influenced by things like the physical position of the candidate's names on the ticket and the sounds of the names themselves? Maybe gender or race would play a role? I don't think you could really get a true randomness going on. It isn't like folks will go in and use a random number generator or roll dice.

Well I guess that's a valid point. Totally random isn't likely to happen. But then neither is totally ignorant. But there's plenty of evidence that people vote their biases anyway. I don't think I'm more than average ignorant but an important factor in why I voted for Obama in 2008 was that I thought the country needed to get over the stigma of racial inequality. Most of the world applauded for that reason. But we didn't get over it, and the reason is that lots of people stopped voting. But the main reason is to effect one's more immediate situation. Will your potholes get fixed and will the police act with respect. Will they have real concern for your community's water quality.

Back
Top Bottom