• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Satanism

Jolly_Penguin

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
I have long wondered if I should call myself a Satanist.

On the one hand, I don't like Lavey Satanism, or any other type I have come across thus far.

On the other hand, I see Satan as a great symbol of striving against the Christian framework (and most religious frameworks). I see something like the ten commandments from the bible, and I notice that it is mostly about obedience to power, and not about being a good person. I read the rest of the Abrahamic holy books, and again, more obedience, more authoritarianism, very little empathy or compassion. Very little doing what is right because it is right, instead of doing it for a reward. And the concept of faith as a virtue... that's messed up. Then there is that vicarious redemption thing...

I like to think that if God as the bible depicts him did exist, he would be a tyrant and a monster, and the only moral thing to do would be to oppose him, even though you know you'll fail, since he is all powerful. That makes Satan look like a hero and somebody to emulate, if he did attempt a rebellion against God.

Anyway, I am just babbling incoherently at this point so I'll stop.

But, Satanism... would you call yourself a Satanist? Sure to raise a few eyebrows amongst your friends and family at least :)

On the one hand, I don't like Lavey Satanism, or any other type I have come across thus far.

On the other hand, I see Satan as a great symbol of striving against the Christian framework (and most religious frameworks). I see something like the ten commandments from the bible, and I notice that it is mostly about obedience to power, and not about being a good person. I read the rest of the Abrahamic holy books, and again, more obedience, more authoritarianism, very little empathy or compassion. Very little doing what is right because it is right, instead of doing it for a reward. And the concept of faith as a virtue... that's messed up. Then there is that vicarious redemption thing...

I like to think that if God as the bible depicts him did exist, he would be a tyrant and a monster, and the only moral thing to do would be to oppose him, even though you know you'll fail, since he is all powerful. That makes Satan look like a hero and somebody to emulate, if he did attempt a rebellion against God.

But, Satanism... would you call yourself a Satanist? Sure to raise a few eyebrows amongst your friends and family at least :)

Hey there.

To me, your question is similar to asking whether you should fashion yourself a chef before cooking starving people a nice meal. Just cook a good meal for those who need it already.

If you admire aspects of the mythological figure named Satan, put a picture of him on your wall. I wouldn't follow the guy. That would be like following He-Man or Skeletor or something like that. Hah! Imagine that. Skeletorism. Of course that would raise a few eyebrows. But what is the point? From my vantage point, you would stand to lose more as a shock artist having with no money and no contract than what you would gain by just plainly living out your convictions.

If you really want to be helpful to others and be outspoken, don't be afraid to say what is on your mind and learn how to say it in a way that will win the hearts of those you want to influence. You'll get much further in the long run.

On the other hand, I see Satan as a great symbol of striving against the Christian framework (and most religious frameworks). I see something like the ten commandments from the bible, and I notice that it is mostly about obedience to power, and not about being a good person.

I was just reading this quote a few days ago

"In the Levant, the stress is always on obeying. The idea is that God has given a revelation that is encompassed in a book, in a statement. This goes for Zoroastrianism, for Judaism, for Christianity, for Islam -- all of the religions out of the Near East. In each case there is a book, a revealed truth, and one doesn’t quibble with that. One finds out what it says, and one who does quibble with that is by definition an evil person, a person who has lost touch with the truth and is an outcast, a heretic. Whole races, whole worlds, can fall away."
Joseph Campbell, Myths of Light, p. 66

"In the Levant, the stress is always on obeying. The idea is that God has given a revelation that is encompassed in a book, in a statement. This goes for Zoroastrianism, for Judaism, for Christianity, for Islam -- all of the religions out of the Near East. In each case there is a book, a revealed truth, and one doesn’t quibble with that. One finds out what it says, and one who does quibble with that is by definition an evil person, a person who has lost touch with the truth and is an outcast, a heretic. Whole races, whole worlds, can fall away."
Joseph Campbell, Myths of Light, p. 66

Reading Joseph Campbell is worth anyone's time.

For those who don't know, Campbell was not speaking from his own view in the comment above. He was speaking from the vantage point of the mythology he studied.

Not to derail the thread, but The Philosopher's Secret Fire by Patrick Harpur is a similar read.

For those who don't know, Campbell was not speaking from his own view in the comment above. He was speaking from the vantage point of the mythology he studied.

Not to derail the thread, but The Philosopher's Secret Fire by Patrick Harpur is a similar read.

There was a series where Campbell was interviewed by Bill Moyers on PBS. It was fascinating and Campbell was thoroughly captivating. I got some of his books and was completely disappointed. His skill was in speaking not writing.

After time, I also came to the conclusion that his idea of the monomyth was bullshit.

True. Campbell's personal opinion of Christianity was that it is "degraded."

I think if i were to self-identify as a Satanist, i'd actually claim Pagan worship of one of the goat-headed deities. Baphomet, maybe. Let the Christains insist to me that i'm worshiping Satan.

"No," i'd insist. "To worship Satan, i'd have to believe that your Jesus was also real. And that's just too silly."

Before you can believe in Satan, you must first believe in Christianity... as Satan is a product of that myth.

Looking at history, it is the victors of conflict that get to write the history books. If we are going to (laughingly) look at the Christian bible as a history book, then I definitely side with the Satan character... He is Luke, and God is the Emperor... and the Christians are the Clones.

But, Satanism... would you call yourself a Satanist?

I wouldn't. If you want a symbolic eye-raiser, I'm sure there is something else you could use. I usually try to steer away from terms on which other people have already set camp. Devout Christians will likely think you worship Satan. I don't think that's what you're going for. Those who know a little about Satanism will likely group you with LaVeyan Satanism. Most others will probably remain indifferent. I'd say using Satanism this way is largely just begging to be misunderstood.

I've raced for several years with the number 666 on my machine just because I get a bit of a perverse kick out of the way some folks squirm when they see that number. Some well-meaning superstitious folks have begged me to select a different competition number, warning me of the perils in which I'm placing myself by tempting fate in that way.

But I wouldn't self-identify as a Satanist for the same reasons I wouldn't identify as any other religion. Religions tend to be based on superstition and ignorance. They tend to encourage holding beliefs without being willing to subject such beliefs to objective criticism. Because of these things religions are contrary to the principles by which I wish to live.

Having said that I must admit I like the Star Wars analogy with Satan playing the part of Luke.

There was a series where Campbell was interviewed by Bill Moyers on PBS. It was fascinating and Campbell was thoroughly captivating.
His radio interviews with Michael Toms were also very good.

Hey there.

To me, your question is similar to asking whether you should fashion yourself a chef before cooking starving people a nice meal. Just cook a good meal for those who need it already.

If you admire aspects of the mythological figure named Satan, put a picture of him on your wall. I wouldn't follow the guy. That would be like following He-Man or Skeletor or something like that. Hah! Imagine that. Skeletorism. Of course that would raise a few eyebrows. But what is the point? From my vantage point, you would stand to lose more as a shock artist having with no money and no contract than what you would gain by just plainly living out your convictions.

If you really want to be helpful to others and be outspoken, don't be afraid to say what is on your mind and learn how to say it in a way that will win the hearts of those you want to influence. You'll get much further in the long run.

You have just conquered the Internet.

Hey there.

You have just conquered the Internet.

You obviously don't appreciate my limited perspective. So share a better one.

Hey there.

As a Skeletorist, I am offended by this post.

tumblr_mqwnjxhwRR1s46h7vo1_500.jpg

Hey there.

As a Skeletorist, i am offended by this post.

I can't apologize for having an opinion that sees Satanism as silly. It's just what I think. However, I do apologize for the dismissive tone in my post. For that I apologize.

You should also know that I have had Satanist friends in the past and they knew how I felt. I don't now because I don't know any.

Back
Top Bottom