• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SC Justice Scalia Has Died

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/02/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-reported-dead.html/

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, the San Antonio Express-News reported.
Scalia, 79, was a guest at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort in the Big Bend region south of Marfa, the paper reported.
According to a report, Scalia, an associate justice, arrived at the ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people. When he did not appear for breakfast, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body.

----

Now Obama has a chance to nominate a Supreme Court Justice. Fireworks will surely start soon. I suspect a bitter fight and it may impact elections if the GOP resorts to scorched earth obstructionism. For one, it will demonstrate why a president is important, and why voting is important.

----
Bombs away!

U.S. District Judge Fred Biery said he was among those notified about Scalia's death.

"I was told it was this morning," Biery said of Scalia's death. "It happened on a ranch out near Marfa. As far as the details, I think it's pretty vague right now as to how," he said. "My reaction is it's very unfortunate. It's unfortunate with any death, and politically in the presidential cycle we're in, my educated guess is nothing will happen before the next president is elected."
???

It is possible Obama will not get a nominee past this obstructionist Congress.

But I agree, this is why you hold your nose and vote for Hillary if she wins the nomination.

Scalia had a better life than he deserved.

What, you can't replace a Justice because there's an election at the end of the fucking year?

If I were Obama and Clinton, I'd make this my sole focus for the remainder of the campaign. All the bullshit about how the two parties are the same falls apart on this one key issue.

If Obama chickens out and refuses to nominate a replacement for Scalia, there would be true fireworks and outrage.. If he makes a decision, and I suspect he will soon, obstructionism will likewise result in a firestorm. We will have to see who Obama offers us as a replacement. I suspect that with 3 SC justices being about 80, Obama has long had a short list of nominees.

There is a rumor that Scalia was found wearing a vintage Esther Williams one piece bathing suit. A source close to the family denied this and said the weekend was too cold for swimming.

Tonight on CBS is another GOP debate. I suspect this will be an issue there. Its going to be damned interesting to see how this gets played. Will any of these schnooks argue for obstructionism to block anybody Obama nominates? Rubio and Cruz again are sitting Senators.

If Obama chickens out and refuses to nominate a replacement for Scalia, there would be true fireworks and outrage.. If he makes a decision, and I suspect he will soon, obstructionism will likewise result in a firestorm. We will have to see who Obama offers us as a replacement. I suspect that with 3 SC justices being about 80, Obama has long had a short list of nominees.
I agree. I strongly suspect he will quickly nominate some sort of middle of the road nominee to either squeak through or make the Republicans in the Senate look bad for rejecting her/him.

Tonight on CBS is another GOP debate. I suspect this will be an issue there. Its going to be damned interesting to see how this gets played. Will any of these schnooks argue for obstructionism to block anybody Obama nominates? Rubio and Cruz again are sitting Senators.

Of course this will be discussed. It will be front and center.

And it will just be used to try to convince people that they need to vote for a Republican presidential candidate because we need more Justices like Scalia.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I strongly suspect he will quickly nominate some sort of middle of the road nominee to either squeak through or make the Republicans in the Senate look bad for rejecting her/him.

Anybody he nominates will be equally opposed.

He stole their plan on health care and it suddenly became the greatest threat to everything to ever exist.

Too bad he died too late in Obama's term.

Why?

If Obama can't get a nominee through what's to stop Bernie from nominating the same person?

Or better yet, nominate Hillary.
They can nominate who they want. With a Republican senate and abortion and immigration on the table, that seat can sit empty for a long time.

It has started. Senator Lindsey Graham is vowing to block anybody Obama nominates.

Why? Back years ago when the GOP was holding up court nominations, the Democrats forced a rule change that meant instead of 60 Senate votes to confirm a judge, only 50 were now needed. Now the bastard is using this as an excuse to tell us Obama will not be allowed to effectively nominate a SC justice of his choice.

Just saw this live on CBS news.

This is great!

To put in as dignified terms as possible, fuck that motherfucker. The misery his decisions and opinions have caused over the last three decades is going to take a generation to recover from.

This is great!

To put in as dignified terms as possible, fuck that motherfucker. The misery his decisions and opinions have caused over the last three decades is going to take a generation to recover from.
This. His decisions weren't even based in the argle bargle of law, but what he wanted the law to be.

Back
Top Bottom