• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SC Justice Scalia Has Died

You mean exactly what happened after WWII when mass migration occurred?
There were a few criminals and mostly good decent people.
There is a big difference when mass migrations occur within a similar culture vs. from a very different culture.
And it's also a problem when the countries are unwilling to vet migrants, distinguish opportunists from genuine refugees or are not through in deporting criminal migrants.

Can Obama appoint himself?

No. But if the GOP blocks his choices, leaving that SC position open, President Clinton could.

When opposition to Nixon's choice Hruska was voiced by the Dems, Nixon surlily stated that if that continued, he'd find a choice they would like far less. Hope the GOP remembers how that can work.

It is possible Obama will not get a nominee past this obstructionist Congress.

But I agree, this is why you hold your nose and vote for Hillary if she wins the nomination.

Scalia had a better life than he deserved.

Whoever wins the Democratic nomination.

It is possible Obama will not get a nominee past this obstructionist Congress.

But I agree, this is why you hold your nose and vote for Hillary if she wins the nomination.

Scalia had a better life than he deserved.

Whoever wins the Democratic nomination.

I'll gladly vote for Bernie.

He is not a messiah but he will try to move the nation in the right direction.

The US stagnates behind the world in all but military strength.

Earlier this year I heard Hillary talking about putting Obama on the supreme court. That is the only reason I can see for Obama not putting somebody there before he leaves the presidency... so he himself can take the spot.

So you want on the SCOTUS someone who believes the president has the power to authorize the killing of US citizens without any input from the judicial system? No trial, no evidence, no sentencing, the president can do all of that all by himself?

And people are cheering that someone as evil as Scalia has died?

So you want on the SCOTUS someone who believes the president has the power to authorize the killing of US citizens without any input from the judicial system? No trial, no evidence, no sentencing, the president can do all of that all by himself?

Did Scalia have any problem with the US invasion of Iraq or Guantanamo?

Or even Obama's drone program?

Scalia knew a lot about the laws.

But he had ignorant opinions on many matters.

Buddy: if McCain had been elected over Obama, we'd be in far more wars. I think that Obama's greatest achievement will be that he kept US ground troops out of the ME despite the fact that most Americans want US troops in the ME.

Did Obama's assassination program ever come before the SCOTUS?

Buddy: if McCain had been elected over Obama, we'd be in far more wars. I think that Obama's greatest achievement will be that he kept US ground troops out of the ME despite the fact that most Americans want US troops in the ME.

Hillary or McCain, in theory I agree but Obama has been far more hawkish than anyone anticipated giving us far more wars than he started with. So I'll just point out that your whole answer is nothing more than an untestable hypothetical.

It has started. Senator Lindsey Graham is vowing to block anybody Obama nominates.

Why? Back years ago when the GOP was holding up court nominations, the Democrats forced a rule change that meant instead of 60 Senate votes to confirm a judge, only 50 were now needed. Now the bastard is using this as an excuse to tell us Obama will not be allowed to effectively nominate a SC justice of his choice.

Just saw this live on CBS news.

One must understand, Mitch McConnell has a lot on his plate. It's a busy time of year...lot's of work. The people are already stressed enough over the election. Why burden them with matters best left for resolution later. Besides, there is no hurry, its a good time for the courts to catch up on paperwork. We wouldn't want to see a mistake in the rush to appoint a new jurist, would we?

No...I think it best mull over the matter tell the election is over. Yes...we just need to relax and not worry our heads about such matters for more appropriate times.

:D

Hillary or McCain, in theory I agree but Obama has been far more hawkish than anyone anticipated giving us far more wars than he started with. So I'll just point out that your whole answer is nothing more than an untestable hypothetical.

Well, this is just a bunch of BS. McCain is on record as critizing for not sending US ground troops back into Iraq. McCain is also upset that we haven't sent ground troops into Ukraine, Syria, and Libya.

That's an evasion.

US Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor has voiced concerns that, without sufficient protections, the age of unmanned drones and ubiquitous surveillance will usher in an “Orwellian world.”

https://www.rt.com/usa/187956-scotus-sotomayor-drone-orwellian/

It has started. Senator Lindsey Graham is vowing to block anybody Obama nominates.

Why? Back years ago when the GOP was holding up court nominations, the Democrats forced a rule change that meant instead of 60 Senate votes to confirm a judge, only 50 were now needed. Now the bastard is using this as an excuse to tell us Obama will not be allowed to effectively nominate a SC justice of his choice.

One must understand, Mitch McConnell has a lot on his plate. It's a busy time of year...lot's of work. The people are already stressed enough over the election. Why burden them with matters best left for resolution later. Besides, there is no hurry, its a good time for the courts to catch up on paperwork. We wouldn't want to see a mistake in the rush to appoint a new jurist, would we?

No...I think it best mull over the matter tell the election is over. Yes...we just need to relax and not worry our heads about such matters for more appropriate times.

How very gracious of you, Max. :p

Senator Graham sits on the Judicial Committee. So he can do a lot of damage in that position.

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/nominations/supreme-court

When a vacancy occurs on the Supreme Court, the President of the United States is given the authority, under Article II of the United States Constitution, to nominate a person to fill the vacancy. The nomination is referred to the United States Senate, where the Senate Judiciary Committee holds a hearing where the nominee provides testimony and responds to questions from members of the panel. Traditionally, the Committee refers the nomination to the full Senate for consideration.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, this is just a bunch of BS. McCain is on record as critizing for not sending US ground troops back into Iraq. McCain is also upset that we haven't sent ground troops into Ukraine, Syria, and Libya.

Whem McCain was running for president, he stated the US might well be in Iraq for a century. A collective groan went up from many US citizens and his polls took a hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRAshmSdps

Senator Graham sits on the Judicial Committee. So he can do a lot of damage in that position.

http://www.judiciary.senate.gov/nominations/supreme-court

When a vacancy occurs on the Supreme Court, the President of the United States is given the authority, under Article II of the United States Constitution, to nominate a person to fill the vacancy. The nomination is referred to the United States Senate, where the Senate Judiciary Committee holds a hearing where the nominee provides testimony and responds to questions from members of the panel. Traditionally, the Committee refers the nomination to the full Senate for consideration.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course that it how it works. But the committee is very busy, with everyone focusing on the election and summer recess. So it will take time...like maybe 12 months or so. And if a Democrat wins and the Senate is still Republican, why it might take 4 more years. There really is no reason to rush...more than enough time to appoint the right fellow or lady.

Back
Top Bottom