• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Scholar: Bible shouldn't be taken literally

That could be an interesting read, once available translated...

Like a librarian lecturing a kleptomaniac, he clearly and unequivocally presented his case to the alcoholic.

sherlock.jpg

It's a good read but why does one need to hear someone else say it? Because maybe zombies really did fly around the Mediterranean? Maybe dead people really did come back to life and walk through walls? Maybe rotting corpses really did walk out of their tombs?

I was kinda on the fence about all that but now I guess it's official that it was only pretend. Whew! Close one!

OK, one down, millions to go.

Can some scholars please pronounce on which (if any) of these should be taken literally:

The Harry Potter books
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books
Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
World War Z
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
The Hunt for Red October
The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
The Narnia series
The Famous Five books
The Thursday Next books
A Song of Ice and Fire
The Holy Quran
The Complete Works of Shakespeare
The Cities in Flight series
The Foundation series
The Guru Granth Sahib
The Da Vinci Code
The Millenium Trilogy (aka The Girl Who Played with Fire series)
The Twilight series
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

That should be a good start; I am particularly interested in the value of a literal interpretation of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

OK, one down, millions to go.

Can some scholars please pronounce on which (if any) of these should be taken literally:

The Harry Potter books
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books
Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
World War Z
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
The Hunt for Red October
The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
The Narnia series
The Famous Five books
The Thursday Next books
A Song of Ice and Fire
The Holy Quran
The Complete Works of Shakespeare
The Cities in Flight series
The Foundation series
The Guru Granth Sahib
The Da Vinci Code
The Millenium Trilogy (aka The Girl Who Played with Fire series)
The Twilight series
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

That should be a good start; I am particularly interested in the value of a literal interpretation of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Now, you just back down on the Hungry Caterpillar, Bilby. It is OFF LIMITS.

I don't think people should have opinions.

Well in that case people can have one opinion if their opinion is that people shouldn't have opinions. Then it will become true by virtue of repetition.

Repeat an opinion often enough it becomes a sort of objective reality.

I very much doubt Ken Ham cares what random bible scholarTM says about allegorical Jesus being born to allegorical parents in an allegorical manger then fleeing to an allegorical place called Egypt in order to escape an allegorical psychopath who slaughters allegorical first born male infants to prevent them allegorically usurping his allegorical kingdom...

I very much doubt Ken Ham cares what random bible scholarTM says about allegorical Jesus being born to allegorical parents in an allegorical manger then fleeing to an allegorical place called Egypt in order to escape an allegorical psychopath who slaughters allegorical first born male infants to prevent them allegorically usurping his allegorical kingdom...

Except that he complained about it in a FB post (that's how I found the article).

Or were you being allegorical about his caring????

I very much doubt Ken Ham cares
Except that he complained about it in a FB post (that's how I found the article).
No, Lion may be right.
He may not give a rat's ass about scholarly work finding the historical significance of an allegorical writing (or 'an opinion' if one must minimize its impact). However he probably saw a windmill. And a chance to exhort The Faithful to help him tilt at that windmill... To $how how $trong their faith i$, in the u$ual manner.

No, Lion may be right.
He may not give a rat's ass about scholarly work finding the historical significance of an allegorical writing (or 'an opinion' if one must minimize its impact). However he probably saw a windmill. And a chance to exhort The Faithful to help him tilt at that windmill... To $how how $trong their faith i$, in the u$ual manner.

Probably true, he uses them to rile the troops.

Well in that case people can have one opinion if their opinion is that people shouldn't have opinions. Then it will become true by virtue of repetition.

Repeat an opinion often enough it becomes a sort of objective reality.

Yet apparently it was taken literally from the beginning. Just hinting otherwise earning the unwary a one way trip to the dungeons for a bit of a heat and trim job using all the latest apparatus at the disposal of Priests who only had their welfare at heart...better to experience finite torture at their hands, repent and achieve forgiveness rather than eternal torment at the hands of the God of Love.

Back
Top Bottom