• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Scientists' March on Washington

http://www.scientistsmarchonwashington.com/

As seen at https://twitter.com/AltNatParkSer and https://twitter.com/RogueNASA, alternatives to the official NPS and NASA twitter feeds, which like the rest of the federal agencies are under a gag order from the new admin.

Scientists are planning their own march on Washington | TheHill

Love this. I saw it this morning, and sent the links to one of my nephew. He said his office is already involved to help organize.

As for the alt-NPS twitter accounts, my only concern is deciphering which are real resistance accounts, and which are spoof accounts.

There was one tweet from a Badlands alt-account that said their budget had been reduced by 40%. I can't find any information to see if that is true.

I think they are making with the jokes.

BadlandsNPSFans ‏@BadIandsNPSFans 22h22 hours ago
Big news at Badlands! Starting this year, half of our budget will be diverted to fund a series of innovative, market-driven "Charter Parks."

I hope so. What Trump has already done/said is so fucked up and outrageous, it is hard to tell anymore

Yup. This is a ray of possible sunshine peeking through the shitstorm of Twitler's war on truth.

Don't most/all incoming administrations temporarily halt communications from federal agencies until they can get their web presence consistent etc.? Heard that one on Reddit. Could be Trump apologetics. Even if true, it definitely looks like the sciences (or anything to do with the environment) are getting singled out unfairly.

Don't most/all incoming administrations temporarily halt communications from federal agencies until they can get their web presence consistent etc.? Heard that one on Reddit. Could be Trump apologetics. Even if true, it definitely looks like the sciences (or anything to do with the environment) are getting singled out unfairly.
The issue seems to be the widespread gag order. The Trump Admin says they want to review anything the EPA studies and releases. That is bad stuff. We saw the crap the W Admin pulled using those tactics.

Don't most/all incoming administrations temporarily halt communications from federal agencies until they can get their web presence consistent etc.?

Nobody has ever halted the communication of scientific research documents, until Twitler.

Why do these scientists only oppose threats to science from the right, but not from left?

Where are they, for example, to defend the Thirty Meter Telescope project from fundamentalist "native" Hawaiians who oppose astronomy because they think it offends some imaginary goddess?

Why do these scientists only oppose threats to science from the right, but not from left?

Where are they, for example, to defend the Thirty Meter Telescope project from fundamentalist "native" Hawaiians who oppose astronomy because they think it offends some imaginary goddess?

I think that most of us are unfamiliar with Obama's actions in barring them from doing so, which would have made your comment marginally relevant to the topic of the thread.

Good job finding a way that this is, yet again, entirely the fault of the leftists, though. God, those guys are assholes. :mad:

The location in Hawaii is the best location, not the only location. And plenty of scientists have said they want that best location. But that doesn't matter, right? Only "they're doing X, which is just as bad" matters, right? Even when the two things are completely unalike.

Right?

The location in Hawaii is the best location, not the only location. And plenty of scientists have said they want that best location. But that doesn't matter, right? Only "they're doing X, which is just as bad" matters, right? Even when the two things are completely unalike.

Right?

Nah - those Hawaiians just want to stop all scientific progress because it offends their superstitious sensibilities and discovers facts that belie those beliefs.
No, wait - that's the Twitler regime.
Never mind.

Because scientists understand false equivalence.

There are a number of local Marches For Science being organized. Google "March For Science, your city" if you are interested. You might want to spend a day at one yourself. Should be held sometime in February.

http://www.scientistsmarchonwashington.com/

As seen at https://twitter.com/AltNatParkSer and https://twitter.com/RogueNASA, alternatives to the official NPS and NASA twitter feeds, which like the rest of the federal agencies are under a gag order from the new admin.

Scientists are planning their own march on Washington | TheHill

It's worth pointing out that those Twitter accounts are (necessarily) unverified, so they aren't fully trustworthy.

Regardless, there's a good chance I'll be at the DC one. I had already joined the ACLU and the NAACP last november expecting Toupee Fiasco to act in his usual manner. So, might as well, as an engineer.

Actually, he has a valid point. There is a lot of anti-science rhetoric on the left that always seems to get ignored. This came in my email today:

http://acsh.org/news/2017/01/26/dont-let-partisans-hijack-science-march-10777

A potentially heartwarming development has occurred in recent days. A grassroots movement supporting a "Science March" has amassed a gigantic following on social media, which in turn has resulted in substantial mainstream media coverage. The website, which is still in development, says that "anyone who values empirical science" can participate. Good.

Unfortunately, some of the other statements have sent mixed messages. Consider this:

marchforscience1.png

I agree 100% with every sentence. So, what's the problem?

The problem is that this message is aimed at one particular side of the political spectrum. The Right is more likely to reject climate change and evolution than the Left. Absent from this paragraph are warnings against the rejection of nuclear power, GMOs, and vaccines, and admonishments for the embrace of organic food and alternative medicine, which are stronger with the progressive Left and its leadership. Those issues aren't even mentioned, which looks like they don't want to alienate one side.

Actually, he has a valid point. There is a lot of anti-science rhetoric on the left that always seems to get ignored. This came in my email today:

http://acsh.org/news/2017/01/26/dont-let-partisans-hijack-science-march-10777

A potentially heartwarming development has occurred in recent days. A grassroots movement supporting a "Science March" has amassed a gigantic following on social media, which in turn has resulted in substantial mainstream media coverage. The website, which is still in development, says that "anyone who values empirical science" can participate. Good.

Unfortunately, some of the other statements have sent mixed messages. Consider this:

View attachment 9735

I agree 100% with every sentence. So, what's the problem?

The problem is that this message is aimed at one particular side of the political spectrum. The Right is more likely to reject climate change and evolution than the Left. Absent from this paragraph are warnings against the rejection of nuclear power, GMOs, and vaccines, and admonishments for the embrace of organic food and alternative medicine, which are stronger with the progressive Left and its leadership. Those issues aren't even mentioned, which looks like they don't want to alienate one side.

Your post has no bearing on whether the comparison of the government censorship of scientists' work and defunding of basic research to local citizens protesting a corporation's activities is false equivalence.

Down here in Houston, the sister to The Scientists March On Washington is scheduled for April 22, a Saturday. I suspect that it will probably also be on the same date in a number of cities.

Back
Top Bottom