• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SCOTUS - AA ... news from the future

Sure. Donald Trump would have been a resounding success even if he had not inherited a large fortune from his parents. Same with Elon Musk.
I think Musk would have been successful without his family wealth. Trump, probably not.
What does that have to do with giving preferences based on race?
PayPal wasn't his doing. Tesla isn't good. He's being a disaster with Twitter. The only real accomplishment he has is SpaceX and I continue to be amazed that he managed to accomplish that. I strongly suspect it's a case of him for once letting someone else do it.
Lots of assists from the US taxpayer on that one....
I'm not talking about the money, I'm talking about getting it to work at all. That took far more brains than he's otherwise exhibited.

Harvard administrators would disagree. Are you smarter than a Harvard administrator?
It's not a matter of who is smarter. It's a matter of values and ideology. Harvard admins believe it's ok to discriminate by race to achieve a racial mix they want. I believe that is not ok.
Another good reason you're not in a position to influence such matters; you think you are as privy to and savvy about all the considerations that a major university weighs in making decisions about admissions, as the people administering Harvard Admissions.
HINT: You're NOT

Hint: We can infer a lot from silence here. They've been sued over it--and presented no good reason for their behavior. Do they have some reason so secret that they'll throw a major court case rather than reveal it?! I don't think so!

Ivy league schools have a horrible history - part of the racist American past century that seemed so forgiveable because it was so much more progressive than its slave owning past, which was progressive compared to that era's slave trading past...

Y'know what the Great Roman Leaders would think?
"No great society can exist on any foundation other than slavery. You guys are nuts.
The default state for any individual should be enslaved, unless otherwise dictated by heritage and wealth"
(often measured in slaves).

I think they were a pretty good model for what the Reicht Right has in mind. I don't think they're necessarily racist, they just want to maintain and increase downward pressure on people at the bottom, who happen to be mostly POC.

Harvard administrators would disagree. Are you smarter than a Harvard administrator?
It's not a matter of who is smarter. It's a matter of values and ideology. Harvard admins believe it's ok to discriminate by race to achieve a racial mix they want. I believe that is not ok.
Another good reason you're not in a position to influence such matters; you think you are as privy to and savvy about all the considerations that a major university weighs in making decisions about admissions, as the people administering Harvard Admissions.
HINT: You're NOT

Hint: We can infer a lot from silence here. They've been sued over it--and presented no good reason for their behavior. Do they have some reason so secret that they'll throw a major court case rather than reveal it?! I don't think so!
There is no silence here. The defendants prevailed in court against the plaintiffs. Which is why the case is in front of SCOTUS. Clearly their reasons were good enough in the previous trials.

Jebus... this is the SCOTUS thread. I'll take the derail on Musk and business out of here.

In a nutshell - If a First Nations kid get a uni education, goes home and brings the value of that education to their community...You can see how this plays out over the long term with millions of kids. The health and well being of those communities have an impact on the health and well being of all communities within a nation.

there's lots of good info and studies, etc that do a much better job at explaining this.
That's the theory. In practice the number of slots that actually go to those with a bad upbringing is minuscule. Lots of poor blacks doesn't mean slots allocated to blacks will come from the poor ones.
Aren't you kind of speaking against the argument of unqualified minority students getting into these programs?

Because yes, most poor blacks don't have a chance in fuck to go to college in the first place due to the inadequate everything (food, safety, stability, investment into their education, generalized poverty issues) that surrounds their existence. And then you complain about the black kid getting accepted (who has a great record of grades, etc... overall) because he isn't disadvantaged enough? Are you fucking kidding me?!

In a nutshell - If a First Nations kid get a uni education, goes home and brings the value of that education to their community...You can see how this plays out over the long term with millions of kids. The health and well being of those communities have an impact on the health and well being of all communities within a nation.

there's lots of good info and studies, etc that do a much better job at explaining this.
That's the theory. In practice the number of slots that actually go to those with a bad upbringing is minuscule. Lots of poor blacks doesn't mean slots allocated to blacks will come from the poor ones.
Aren't you kind of speaking against the argument of unqualified minority students getting into these programs?

Because yes, most poor blacks don't have a chance in fuck to go to college in the first place due to the inadequate everything (food, safety, stability, investment into their education, generalized poverty issues) that surrounds their existence. And then you complain about the black kid getting accepted (who has a great record of grades, etc... overall) because he isn't disadvantaged enough? Are you fucking kidding me?!
Well if one black person can succeed that means that they all could, if they just worked hard enough, right?

Didn’t Obama’s presidency end racism in America??

What I'm saying is that most of those slots supposedly for the disadvantaged actually end up going to well-to-do blacks.

Back
Top Bottom