• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Sen. Feinstein Claims She Received Info On Kavanaugh And Sent It To FBI

Wait, you accept that perjury isn't a disqualifier?

Never mind, you've already answered that.

Wait, you accept that Xi is worse than Deng?
Yes, I know you were not talking about Deng or Xi. But I was not talking about that in the post you are replying to.

It is clearly insinuated in this passage:

If you mean legal duties, I do not know of any law that says Senators must not confirm candidates that commit perjury. If you know of one, please let me know, but as far as I can tell, there was no law breaking on the part of any of the Senators.

If that is not what you meant, perhaps you should cease dissembling.

By the way, while this is not codified law, this is from the US Judicial Code of Conduct:

Canon 2: A Judge Should Avoid Impropriety and the Appearance of Impropriety in all Activities

(A) Respect for Law. A judge should respect and comply with the law and should act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.

You'll note the phrase, "respect and comply with the law."

Why do you think Senators should ignore a judge's compliance with these standards while they ponder his accession to another judgeship? Whether or not the law dictates, why should not Senators use the standards established by judges themselves?

As I said much earlier in this discussion, I think any person who commits perjury, or gives strong suspicion of it, during his confirmation, should not be empaneled without a thorough investigation into the specific matter. You seem to disagree, and that's fine, it's a free country.

Hopefully you'll leave irrelevant analogies to foreign countries with different standards. But to put things plainly, I regard all of their leaders as too authoritarian for my tastes.

Now get back on the subject and quit stocking the thread with red herrings. We've caught enough already and have had our fill.

Not to mention gerrymandering when they control the state-houses.

Don’t forget purging voters rolls in minority neighborhoods which trend democratic and other voter suppression tactic.

Tom is right: old people tend to vote more than young people. And are more likely to be Republican.

Very true. The last point will be the hardest fact to change.

Thumpalumpacus said:
If that is not what you meant, perhaps you should cease dissembling.
I meant what I said, "I do not know of any law that says Senators must not confirm candidates that commit perjury. If you know of one, please let me know, but as far as I can tell, there was no law breaking on the part of any of the Senators". As you can see, I do not know that it is illegal for Senators to do that. I was not talking about morality, but about the law. If you think senators broke a law, please let me know which one (maybe they did, and I'm just not familiar with the law in question).

As you can see in the post of mine you quoted, I was talking about the law, not about morality, and more specifically, I was talking about the legality of the actions of the senators.

Thumpalumpacus said:
By the way, while this is not codified law, this is from the US Judicial Code of Conduct:
Canon 2: A Judge Should Avoid Impropriety and the Appearance of Impropriety in all Activities

(A) Respect for Law. A judge should respect and comply with the law and should act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.

You'll note the phrase, "respect and comply with the law."
I will note it, but I will say that it is irrelevant. If he does not comply with the law, well he is not complying with the law. No need for a Code of Conduct to tell us that. And I do think he acted illegally by lying under oath.
However, in the post of mine you replied to, I was talking about the legality of the actions of the senators, not the legality of the actions of Kavanaugh.

Thumpalumpacus said:
Why do you think Senators should ignore a judge's compliance with these standards while they ponder his accession to another judgeship?
Why did you stop beating your dog?

Yes, I know, that would be a completely unfair accusation. And it would be epistemically irrational on my part to believe, on the basis of the information available to me, that you ever had a dog, let alone that you beat it. But the situation is analogous. I did not say or in any way suggested that senators have a moral obligation to ignore a judge's compliance with those standards. I did not even suggested that they did not have a moral obligation to take that into consideration. Of course, senators did have a moral obligation to take that into consideration. Whether that would be decisive would have to be assessed on a case by case basis.

Of course, that is also irrelevant to the matter at hand in the post you quoted and saying "Wait, you accept that perjury isn't a disqualifier?", because as you can see in the passage you quoted from my post, I was not talking about what senators should do (i.e., about their moral obligations), but about their legal obligations.

Thumpalumpacus said:
Whether or not the law dictates, why should not Senators use the standards established by judges themselves?
First, actually senators should morally consider those standards and the rest of the evidence.
Second, in the passage you quoted, I said:

me said:
If you mean legal duties, I do not know of any law that says Senators must not confirm candidates that commit perjury. If you know of one, please let me know, but as far as I can tell, there was no law breaking on the part of any of the Senators.
You'll note the beginning, "If you mean legal duties,..". That was the part of my post in which I was commenting about the legal obligations of senators, not about their moral obligations.

Thumpalumpacus said:
As I said much earlier in this discussion, I think any person who commits perjury, or gives strong suspicion of it, during his confirmation, should not be empaneled without a thorough investigation into the specific matter. You seem to disagree, and that's fine, it's a free country.
You mean, two free countries?
Still, mine is free enough. But your assessment that I "seem to disagree" is not warranted by the available evidence. I have made no comment about that. But since you ask, I would say this:

In most cases, senators would have a moral duty not to vote for that person, and precisely for that reason, at least if they know the person in question committed perjury. There are hypothetical scenarios in which that would not hold, so the matter has to be assessed on a case by case basis. And there are senators who might not know that the person lied. At any rate, I think most senators voted probably for at least some wrong reasons (for or against him), and so they probably behaved immorally. But I'm not certain about any specific cases. I have not studied them one by one. There probably is conclusive evidence in the case of some senators, but I have a limited amount of time to do this and I have not seen that conclusive evidence yet.

Thumpalumpacus said:
Hopefully you'll leave irrelevant analogies to foreign countries with different standards. But to put things plainly, I regard all of their leaders as too authoritarian for my tastes.
You did not understand my point at all. That was not an irrelevant analogy to China. It was a relevant analogy to a claim about your posts that did not have anything to do with their contents. For that matter, instead of "
Wait, you accept that Xi is worse than Deng?" I could have replied "Wait, you accept that Carter is worse than Kennedy?". I'm not asking you about Xi or Deng, or Carter or Kennedy. I'm telling you to stop grossly misrepresenting my posts.

Thumpalumpacus said:
Now get back on the subject and quit stocking the thread with red herrings. We've caught enough already and have had our fill.
Not from me. You just make up stuff about my beliefs, intentions, and content of my posts, and then attack it and me. Sure, you actually believe what you say about me and the content of my posts. But you're wrong.

Completely off topic here i know, but being down under here in sunny Western Australia I wasn't aware that 33 out of 50 US states have Republican governors.

Well, Republicans have this sneaky little trick that they use. When elections come around, they actually go out and vote instead of staying at home and then bitching about the results later. It's fairly dirty pool on their part.

Does a turnout of say around 46% of voters really demonstrate the wishes of a majority ? A party with the best bribes, and willing to pick up and drop off voters could theoretically bribe itself into power. Our Australian system of compulsory voting may not sound like freedom of choice, but elections are much more democratic in my opinion. Mind you, the fines for failure to vote are only around $20-50 AUD and may actually be 0 if one has a good excuse of why they failed to vote. That goes for both, state governments as well as federal.

Justice Kavanaugh did not authorize the use of his name to raise funds in connection with the GoFundMe campaign. He was not able to do so for judicial ethics reasons. Judicial ethics rules caution judges against permitting the use of the prestige of judicial office for fund-raising purposes. Justice Kavanaugh will not accept any proceeds from the campaign, nor will he direct that any proceeds from the campaign be provided to any third party. Although he appreciates the sentiment...

appreciates it but not able to do so.

Not to mention gerrymandering when they control the state-houses.

Don’t forget purging voters rolls in minority neighborhoods which trend democratic and other voter suppression tactic.

Tom is right: old people tend to vote more than young people. And are more likely to be Republican.

Well, I'm old now and I mostly vote Democratic. And so do my friends. Now the real old people, people of my parents' generation: that will be solved, too. The old fashioned way: they're dying off.

Well, I'm old now and I mostly vote Democratic. And so do my friends. Now the real old people, people of my parents' generation: that will be solved, too. The old fashioned way: they're dying off.

And apparently I didn’t see Arctish’s post upthread. Sorry about that, Arctish.

Justice Kavanaugh did not authorize the use of his name to raise funds in connection with the GoFundMe campaign. He was not able to do so for judicial ethics reasons. Judicial ethics rules caution judges against permitting the use of the prestige of judicial office for fund-raising purposes. Justice Kavanaugh will not accept any proceeds from the campaign, nor will he direct that any proceeds from the campaign be provided to any third party. Although he appreciates the sentiment...

Funds were raised before he was appointed. I'm betting Ford will keep every cent!

Funds were raised before he was appointed. I'm betting Ford will keep every cent!

I would keep every cent, too. Then, I would write a book. When the money ran out from that, I'd write another book. Then, I'd change my name and retire somewhere where the crazies couldn't find me and threaten my family. Not necessarily all in that order. Life is short.

I would keep every cent, too. Then, I would write a book. When the money ran out from that, I'd write another book. Then, I'd change my name and retire somewhere where the crazies couldn't find me and threaten my family. Not necessarily all in that order. Life is short.

So who's committing fraud here?

So who's committing fraud here?

Do you think all capitalists are committing fraud or just the ones that want to make some money?

Ford is a psychology professor who the Dems insisted had nothing to gain from her coming forward. As this article shows, she has much more to gain and the point made would be, If she doesn't stand to gain from her few days of fame, she could refuse to accept the million dollars raised plus the proceeds of a forthcoming book.

https://www.realclearinvestigations...n_kavanaugh_accusers_coffers_are_growing.html

Ford is a psychology professor who the Dems insisted had nothing to gain from her coming forward. As this article shows, she has much more to gain and the point made would be, If she doesn't stand to gain from her few days of fame, she could refuse to accept the million dollars raised plus the proceeds of a forthcoming book.

https://www.realclearinvestigations...n_kavanaugh_accusers_coffers_are_growing.html

As Don was trying to say, this is old news. In fact, Republicans were aware of the Gofundme campaigns during the hearing and brought them up in an effort to discredit her. This story is just a continuation of the ongoing attack on her character. As she pointed out during the hearing (which you probably have not seen), she did not start that campaign and did not even know at the time how to gain access to the money. She definitely needed it to support the expenses she has faced as a result of being forced out of her home, legal costs, and other expenses related to coming forward like she did. People like you can continue to help Republicans get revenge on her and other women who come forward, but why bother? You won. You got your supreme court justice anyway, and he will deliver for you what you want him to. What is the point of continuing to beat up on her? It won't stop other victims from coming forward in the future.

As Don was trying to say, this is old news. In fact, Republicans were aware of the Gofundme campaigns during the hearing and brought them up in an effort to discredit her. This story is just a continuation of the ongoing attack on her character. As she pointed out during the hearing (which you probably have not seen), she did not start that campaign and did not even know at the time how to gain access to the money. She definitely needed it to support the expenses she has faced as a result of being forced out of her home, legal costs, and other expenses related to coming forward like she did. People like you can continue to help Republicans get revenge on her and other women who come forward, but why bother? You won. You got your supreme court justice anyway, and he will deliver for you what you want him to. What is the point of continuing to beat up on her? It won't stop other victims from coming forward in the future.

But the question still remains of why not report a sexual assault as soon as possible, not 3 decades later when the person accused is somewhat famous.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...anaugh-heres-her-take/?utm_term=.28ce4c9c2583

Nobody even heard of these people or at least no one not obsessed heard of them. These were fringe people that no one normal was taking seriously. While it's good that they're being called out, the timing is not a coincidence. We saw a shutdown of legitimate issues such as perjury and legitimate accusers, followed by stress in RW media of fringe nutcases and trolls and of course fake news by the Reich. The timing of these stories is also suspect, purposely done to effect the elections. What a scam.

Back
Top Bottom