• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Shake Rattle And Roll - The Earthquake Thread

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
My apartment started shaking, more like the building was going back and forth. Went online to the PNW earthquake center, it was a 4.5 abut 40 miles fromf Seattle. The site must update automatically.

I have felt 4 or 5 quakes including the Nisqually big one. I was at work and I could see standing waves on the walls as they resonated. Flimsy non load bearing walls.

In one my car started rocking and light poles were waving, in another my boat started rocking.

There was a 4.7 of the Oregon coast last week. The whole Pacific plate did a little jig that day.

Been pretty quiet down here. Looking forward to the annual earthquake festival next week, though. Always fun to walk down to the park and swap Loma Prieta stories with the locals. Technically it's Earthquake Education Day, not a festival, but you know... there's booths, food, people...

Fun fact: 80% of the world's major earthquakes occur along the Pacific "Ring of Fire". 80% of the remainder along the Alpide belt running the length of Southern Eurasia.

The boundaries of the Pacific Plate, in short; by far the largest tectonic plate on the planet at present, and perched over the most active hot spot.

I live almost directly on the Hayward fault line, and indeed cross it on foot every time I walk over to my local park, the offset in the pavement caused by the gradual migration of the fault is pretty obvious in places.

I myself am a denizen of the Alpide belt, living in a semi active sediment filled graben, ie for the geologically uninterested public, an oblong stretch of lowland, some of it fertile, some of it only good for gravel pits, embedded between mountains and hills. We do get chimney-shattering events more frequently than the rest of the country, but very rarely anything beyond that. The last time there were casualties in the immediate vicinity was I think about 100 years ago, although if you extend the radius to 500km or so, devastating earthquakes have occurred every decade or so.

I was in Washington DC, chilling after a work meeting and getting ready to meet my son for dinner in 2011 for the 5.8 quake.

I was sitting in a Starbucks, looking out the front window. Cars and trucks were being lifted almost 12” as the wave went through. It was followed by two small aftershocks.

I was in Washington DC, chilling after a work meeting and getting ready to meet my son for dinner in 2011 for the 5.8 quake.

I was sitting in a Starbucks, looking out the front window. Cars and trucks were being lifted almost 12” as the wave went through. It was followed by two small aftershocks.

Oh, a 4-percenter!

Back
Top Bottom