• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Shaming doesn’t work. But what DOES?

But yeah, I think a lot of the trash we see out there on the roads comes off garbage trucks, debris trailers and is not intentionally thrown out. I also see trucks carrying an open load of tomatoes and inevitably a few pop out when the truck hits a pothole. There was a sharp turn on a rural highway near my college that always had a pile of rotted tomatoes on the side, where drivers took the turn too fast or piled up the tomatoes too high in back.
Around here that's illegal--you're required to cover loose loads to keep that from happening. I've called 311 once on a truck shedding chunks of old carpet.

But yeah, I think a lot of the trash we see out there on the roads comes off garbage trucks, debris trailers and is not intentionally thrown out. I also see trucks carrying an open load of tomatoes and inevitably a few pop out when the truck hits a pothole. There was a sharp turn on a rural highway near my college that always had a pile of rotted tomatoes on the side, where drivers took the turn too fast or piled up the tomatoes too high in back.
Around here that's illegal--you're required to cover loose loads to keep that from happening. I've called 311 once on a truck shedding chunks of old carpet.
Open top trucks in San Diego always had nets rolled out across the top. I thought this was true of all CA. Some of their environmental rules are regional, so maybe not everywhere.

I know at my local dump, you are required to have your load covered when you arrive or else you are turned away and/or fined, whether a business or resident. Part of the problem is that many people don't adequately secure the tarp on their load. It's not uncommon to see a huge "tarp bubble" on the back of truck going 60 mph on the highway, where gaps open up and trash leaks out. Or some of the tarp cords detach completely and there's a "tarp flag" waving over the truck bed. And just because it may be the law to cover the load, doesn't mean it will always get done.

Also, I frequently see random trash laying in the street after my garbage and recycling truck comes by. Not that unexpected, really, if its a windy day or someone has overstuffed their cart. Its not a perfect collection process.

Not sure what the law is regarding loads on commerical trucks. I know I have seen trucks loaded with fruits and vegetables that aren't covered when I travel in farming communities. Plus, what about trucks with a load of gravel? My windshield gets pelted by random rocks following these guys. Years ago, I had heard that the only thing that you're legally allowed to release out on to the road from your vehicle was water and chicken feathers. Not sure if that was true then, or is true now. :unsure:

Funny you mention that. Just yesterday around 4:30pm in front of the Orlando Sheriffs department, I witnessed chickens being transported by a pickup truck in containers akin to milk crates, on hitched trailer. To my surprise, not a single feather was in sight. Most likely, any loose feathers had been swept away by the wind long before I chanced upon them. The temperature was soaring into the 90s, coupled with high humidity. I couldn't help but feel a pang of sympathy for the chickens as I blasted past them in my Tesla because that pickup was moving at a snails pace.

Back
Top Bottom