• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Shooting in Time Square

Too many people with a lack of self-control and a lack of firearm proficiency have access to fire arms in the USA. Reasonable gun control might slightly reduce the carnage due to a lack of firearm proficiency, but there are much deeper problems to deal with. Blaming _______ (you pick the political spectrum) for this problem is pointless since both liberal and conservative policies have helped us devolve to this current situation.
Selling guns to suicidal people should be universally accepted as being restricted.

The problem with this position is adequately determining who is actually suicidal.
Ya think? Kinda makes one think we should solved that problem before selling suicidal people guns.

Mental health/gun proposals inevitably go way too far, sweeping up a bunch of cases they shouldn't apply to and probably end up increasing the death toll because they make people afraid to get help.

And for that matter, why they are suicidal. Is there really any important difference between selling a dying person a gun and writing them a lethal prescription (which is legal in some situations in some states)?
It does if the person is also angry and wants to take people with them. You forgot that part, and were just thinking of the countless suicide victims, not the ‘gonna make a statement and then commit suicide’ victims.

Are you sure that wasn't just a colloquialism? "Riding shotgun" might mean able to ride in the front seat.

You realize the colloquialism comes from the stagecoach era where the person to the right of the driver was armed with a shotgun?

I do and I did. But I failed to realize that he might be referring to relatives from an era when riding shotgun was a reality. Although on which side of the driver was probably of no matter.

The problem with this position is adequately determining who is actually suicidal.
Ya think? Kinda makes one think we should solved that problem before selling suicidal people guns.

Mental health/gun proposals inevitably go way too far, sweeping up a bunch of cases they shouldn't apply to and probably end up increasing the death toll because they make people afraid to get help.

And for that matter, why they are suicidal. Is there really any important difference between selling a dying person a gun and writing them a lethal prescription (which is legal in some situations in some states)?
It does if the person is also angry and wants to take people with them. You forgot that part, and were just thinking of the countless suicide victims, not the ‘gonna make a statement and then commit suicide’ victims.

I'm not saying it can't be done right. I'm saying it's not going to be done right. The right hates any gun laws, the left wants to sweep up as many innocents in it's net as they can. Proposing something reasonable would turn both sides against any politician unwise enough to do so.

I'm not saying it can't be done right. I'm saying it's not going to be done right. The right hates any gun laws, the left wants to sweep up as many innocents in it's net as they can. Proposing something reasonable would turn both sides against any politician unwise enough to do so.

Wow. Now we want to "sweep up the innocent in a net"!

No, Loren. We don't. In all practical terms we don't want to sweep anyone into any nets, guilty, innocent, or otherwise. We just don't want to have to contend with the risk of getting shot merely for being in public.

No, Loren. We don't. In all practical terms we don't want to sweep anyone into any nets, guilty, innocent, or otherwise. We just don't want to have to contend with the risk of getting shot merely for being in public.

Guilty until proven innocent is sweeping up innocents in a net. And the leftist approaches are always guilty until proven innocent.

The idea that "the left" wants to sweep up as many innocents in its nets as they can is nonsense. The claim that "its not going to be done right" is hand-waved nonsense.

I have a dream, that one day I'll make it to the TFTPD's mountain top & scream "It's not about race!" and be in accordance with reality.
You might need to have yourself cryogenically frozen and come back in say, 2000 years.

It will only be true then because we'll have all killed ourselves off by then. ;)

Guilty until proven innocent is sweeping up innocents in a net. And the leftist approaches are always guilty until proven innocent.

There is no guilt or innocence being discussed from this perspective. You bringing guiltiness into it only lends me to wonder if there is some guilt you harbor and wish to duck away from.

There is no net. There is no "guilt" or "innocence". There is only "how do we as individuals live lives where we do not constantly fear for our safety from humans* carrying weapons?"

You are torturing language and bringing in concepts that don't even start to apply to the context merely because you wish to engage in a victim complex. Stop that.

*A species with a proven track record of reckless overreaction, and of leveraging the maximum power one has available in the moment.

The idea that "the left" wants to sweep up as many innocents in its nets as they can is nonsense. The claim that "its not going to be done right" is hand-waved nonsense.

We have a situation where nobody is willing to be in the sane ground as they'll be attacked from both sides.

We have a situation where nobody is willing to be in the sane ground as they'll be attacked from both sides.
And your solution is spout inanities? The sane ground is to try to exclude sales from people who are likely to harm themselves and others in the near term. Using the impossible standard of "there may be some mistakes" as a reason to do nothing is insane.

And your solution is spout inanities? The sane ground is to try to exclude sales from people who are likely to harm themselves and others in the near term. Using the impossible standard of "there may be some mistakes" as a reason to do nothing is insane.

You're not rebutting my point at all.

You know, the "right hates any gun laws" is really the problem here. It would be impossible for the left to screw the gun owners because the right-wing won't even allow simple things, like funding for studies on gun violence for crying out loud!

To get back on topic, to the "shooting in Time[sic] Square", the perp, Farrakhan Mohammed, was arrested in Florida where he was hiding with his girlfriend.
Times Square shooting suspect arrested in Florida
ABC7 NY said:
Farrakhan Muhammad was apprehended in Florida by U.S. Marshals and members of the New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive Task Force while he was eating in a vehicle in a McDonald's parking lot in Starke, Florida, located just outside Jacksonville.
[...]
The 31-year-old allegedly fired his weapon in Times Square this past Saturday while taking aim at his own brother.
He had been known to frequent Times Square, passing off bootleg CDs, and he has been arrested several times over the last few years.
He was charged on October 17, 2018, with harassing a 25-year-old woman on the phone and sending her threatening text messages.
On March 17, 2018, he was arrested for aggravated harassment in Midtown, and on March 14, 2020, he was arrested for assault in Midtown.
Between 2007 and 2015, he was arrested seven other times on various charges including robbery, grand larceny and fraud.
Charming fellow!
Mayor Bill de Blasio said he did not believe that shooting is indicative of larger problems.
I would call the revolving door for felons in NY a "larger problem" no matter what Bill de Blowjob says.

You're not rebutting my point at all.
Reading comprehension and basic reasoning failure Your standard of "they will not do it right" is stupid, since any policy will have some slippage and inconvenience or harm some "innocents" (your term).

What should be done in this case?

More than two dozen AR-15 rifles from the Miami Police Department are ‘unaccounted for’

So $50,000 worth of guns missing.

More than two dozen semiautomatic rifles owned by the city of Miami Police Department are missing.

The prime suspects: The city’s own officers.

It’s not a matter of theft, however, but record-keeping — at least for now.

Don'tcha have to sign for these things? Like your name? Or did they come up missing from the Grab-n-Go rack? Shoot. In the navy we had to sign for these things. Even account for the ammo when we brought them back. If you can believe that!

“It’s not that unusual; we do it with the cars,” said Miami Police spokesman Michael Vega. “The chief told the quartermaster to send the note just because there are 25 officers who have to bring them back. You have to qualify to get one. But for some reason they have not been accounted for.”

Hey Mr. Spokesman,
Don't use "for some reason" in an official statement. Especially when talking about missing weapons. It does not speak well for someone who is, you know, the spokesman.

Hey Mr. Spokesman,
Don't use "for some reason" in an official statement. Especially when talking about missing weapons. It does not speak well for someone who is, you know, the spokesman.

I guess it sounds better than “for no reason because too many officers are compensating for their small penises”.
Fixt.

Back
Top Bottom