• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Should elections have runoffs?

Blahface

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
It is hard enough to get people to pay attention to candidates when there are just two of them. I feel that any voting system in which multiple candidates can run without a massive spoiler effect will result in more instances of candidates getting elected without much vetting. I think a runoff allows more time for voters to really vet their choices and fine tune the type of candidate they want.

I think this is a big problem with the Condorcet methods and I also think it is a problem to a lesser degree with approval voting. IRV is a somewhat good at preventing this,but it can also help the wrong 'strong' candidate win.

In the US, campaigns can last for as long as 2 years before election day. If that isn't enough time to figure out that 'your' revulsion of abortions is more significant than your love of food stamps programs, I don't know what to say.

I disfavor condorcet too, but the Instant results they give aren't their problem. Elections in the US are already too long and already too much of a hassle. I don't need to extend the election season by another week or MONTH to do a runoff. And I don't want to have to go back to the voting booth to vote for my favored candidate a second time when I already stood in line on a work day the first time.

IMO Election day should be a national holiday and if we could restrict campaigning to just a month before the election date, that would be great too. Also, If we could eliminate campaign contributions, AKA bribes for corruption, that would be super.

One more thing, IRV voting is my favorite voting scheme for single seat elections. All Condorcet schemes give bonus points to any party/candidate that happens to sit in the middle of the spectrum (no matter how skewed that spectrum is) or merely be perceived as less controversial, but these are not actually attributes associated with quality government leadership. I want at least a portion of the electorate to be really enthusiastic about the final candidate selected. Most condorcet schemes can't guarantee that. IRV can.

Edit:-------------
It occurs to me that your complaint with non-FPTP systems is that when presented with multitudes of candidates, it is more difficult to identify the moraly or politically corrupt ones due to the necessary and perhaps burdensome time investment needed to research any candidate after the first two.

But frankly, one of the primary reasons many people want more than two candidates to choose from (and therfore favor non FPTP systems) is because both of the candidate options that crop up in FPTP systems have significant flaws. So having the time to identify the flaws in all the candidates in an election is pointless because there is often no 'good' choice.

Last edited:
zorq said:
In the US, campaigns can last for as long as 2 years before election day. If that isn't enough time to figure out that 'your' revulsion of abortions is more significant than your love of food stamps programs, I don't know what to say.

It isn’t that there isn’t enough time, it is that there are a lot of races and people are generally lazy and don’t want to do homework and they aren’t going to if they have a shit load of candidates in every race they are going to vote in. I don’t expect them to memorize the character of 50 plus candidates and rank or rate them accordingly. I also don’t expect them to be aware of their own ignorance. Although this might not be much of a problem with score voting if voters would reliably rate unknown candidates the lowest score possible.

I disfavor condorcet too, but the Instant results they give aren't their problem. Elections in the US are already too long and already too much of a hassle. I don't need to extend the election season by another week or MONTH to do a runoff. And I don't want to have to go back to the voting booth to vote for my favored candidate a second time when I already stood in line on a work day the first time.

Right now, I only disfavor Condorcet methods for regular voting because I fear unknown candidates getting elected by voters burying the guy they hate. I don’t know if this would be an actual problem, but it is something that can happen. I would really favor a Condorcet method for parliaments to elect their cabinet though instead of just party leaders forming a coalition.

As for the extra election, the first round in the election would replace the party primaries. That should be the important election that gets two good candidates that represent the public well. The runoff should be a fine tunning of the election to get the best candidate and it would be a safeguard in case one of those candidates isn’t as great as *ze appeared before the extra scrutiny.

IMO Election day should be a national holiday and if we could restrict campaigning to just a month before the election date, that would be great too. Also, If we could eliminate campaign contributions, AKA bribes for corruption, that would be super.

I pretty much agree with this. I have my own ideas about the election time table and how to determine ballot access, but I won’t derail it here.

One more thing, IRV voting is my favorite voting scheme for single seat elections. All Condorcet schemes give bonus points to any party/candidate that happens to sit in the middle of the spectrum (no matter how skewed that spectrum is) or merely be perceived as less controversial, but these are not actually attributes associated with quality government leadership. I want at least a portion of the electorate to be really enthusiastic about the final candidate selected. Most condorcet schemes can't guarantee that. IRV can.

I don’t necessarily agree about IRV. In a system with knowledgeable voters in which there are strong third parties, IRV can be really chaotic.

I think real centrism (not split the baby centrism or Washington centrism) is a good thing. It ensures the will of the majority is going to get done. You can’t use a divide and conquer strategy to avoid doing what the majority wants. You also can’t piss off the majority to please donors.

It occurs to me that your complaint with non-FPTP systems is that when presented with multitudes of candidates, it is more difficult to identify the moraly or politically corrupt ones due to the necessary and perhaps burdensome time investment needed to research any candidate after the first two.

But frankly, one of the primary reasons many people want more than two candidates to choose from (and therfore favor non FPTP systems) is because both of the candidate options that crop up in FPTP systems have significant flaws. So having the time to identify the flaws in all the candidates in an election is pointless because there is often no 'good' choice.

I don’t think it is just the difficulty of research. Another problem is that if there are too many choices analysis paralysis will kick in and dissuade citizens from participating altogether or they'll get frustrated with the new system and want to go back to something simple.

For the record, I think anything is better than FPTP. I just want to factor in the voter’s ability to adequately judge the candidates when considering alternative voting methods.

I personally would prefer a top two system with approval voting to get the top two. Citizens could just remember a few names each race so it would be much simpler. It would also be easy to form voting blocs around issues in a way you can’t do with the ranked systems. Parties would essentially become glorified advocacy groups that just endorse all the candidates that agree with the platform and they could be the primary guide for voters. You can even have candidates that could be endorsed by multiple parties. Parties could earn a reputation over time so you can make a meaningful vote without having to necessarily know much about the candidates.

In the first round, the voters would elect a flavor of the candidates they want. In the second round, it would be more personalized and fine-tuned. There would be much more scrutiny on the integrity and competence of the candidates. If you had to sit an election out, it would be much better to sit out the runoff.

*Ze: I used the gender neutral Ze pronoun because I hate having to say “he or she” and “they” should really be plural. It would make so much more sense to just normalize gender neutral pronouns.

IMO Election day should be a national holiday

It truly boggles my mind that it isn't. We have national holidays for lots of excuses. In Canada we still have Victoria Day (which we call May 24 - in celebration of beer, even though it doesn't always land on the 24th), but our elections are not a national holiday either. If there was ever a good reason for a national holiday, an election would be it.

All elections should be run offs. Foot races are a great way to determine our leaders.

I'd prefer some sort of obstacle course, preferably with deadly traps and spinning blades and stuff. Not because it would add any kind of value to the process, but it would be a decent way to cut down on the number of politicians in society.

All elections should be run offs. Foot races are a great way to determine our leaders.
Would Clinton or Trump have been able to handle such a thing?

It would certainly mean a third term for Obama.

The reason the Electoral College was written into the US Constitution was to eliminate election scenarios where no single candidate had a winning majority. What the Electoral College gave us, besides a President, is the two party system. The Electoral College is a winner take all system, so a minority party gets left out of power. This forges coalitions between factions until there is there is a balance between two parties.

Run off elections could be eliminated if the two party system functioned on the local level. It can't mainly for financial reasons. There isn't enough money in the system to support a party structure that could select and groom candidates for councilperson or mayor. Run off elections have one really nice feature. It does not restrict anyone who wants to run for office. There is no party boss acting as a gate keeper. Twelve people may qualify for the election, but in the end, one of them has to convince 50%+1 to vote for him/her.

When I was too young to vote, my state, Louisiana, had a closed primary system. This meant there were two voting machines at the polling place, one for Democrats and another for Republican. The Party paid a fee for this, so small parties did not participate. Note, this is a primary, not the general election. There was no great Republican presence in the state, but the Democrats were divided between conservative and liberal lines. Any primary election might have six to ten candidates, which would be pared down to two, and a second primary(sort if an oxymoron) selected the party's candidate for the general election.

The GOP seldom had more than two candidates for any office, so their primary was a formality. This meant the Democratic candidate had to fight two elections, along with all the work and expense, then immediately face a third in the general election. In the 1970's, after the GOP had abandoned their traditional position on civil and voter rights, many conservative white voters switched to the Republicans. They were voting for the same people, just the name changed.

The Democrats understood the problems with the closed party system and quickly converted to open primaries, with no party selection. This made it tougher for Republicans, but in the long run, it didn't matter.

Today, the GOP in Louisiana faces a familiar problem. A multitude of Republican candidates face a single Democrat on the primary ballot. This usually pits that Democrat against the survivor Republican, who won his place by appealing to the extremes of the GOP base(prison for mothers who abort, slave labor for undocumented workers, etc). This does not appeal to middle ground voters and the Democrats are regaining ground in Louisiana.

Primaries make the main election a sort of runoff election. The "top two" solution of some states duplicates the form of two-ballot runoff elections. The primaries are the first round and the main election the second round. It has been adopted in some states, like California and Washington, but not in others, like Oregon. I remember voting against it, because I thought that it was incorrectly described, and because it is not as good as IRV.

Back
Top Bottom