• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Singers with odd affectations that are still great

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
By this I am talking beyond accents or local dialects or even singing in the style of a genre.

Have to start with Kevin Rowland of Dexy's Midnight Runners, also Robert Smith of The Cure.

I actually thought of him by listening to a song I found from a Bud Light ad on youtube:

she has an affected style, but it sounds nice.

One thing about having a strong affectation is that it sets the singer apart very quickly.

This next is maybe an example of a singer who has a good voice but not a niche to put his style into. His voice comes out so cleanly. Despite that I think this album is great:

Last edited:
Bob Dylan
Leon Redbone
Cyndi Lauper
Ronnie Specter
Diana Ross

Esther Phillips
Dinah Washington
Billie Holliday
Franke Valli (if you like that sort of thing)
Linda Jones
Little Milton

Have you ever heard Joe Cocker talk? He talks just like he sings, which is to say that he is entirely incomprehensible. Of course, I can't stand his music, but at least his singing/speaking style is incredibly unique.

For unique and great, no one tops Louis Armstrong.

Dolores O'Riordan from The Cranberries.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxsJvKYyVyg[/YOUTUBE]

Morrisey springs to mind. I remember the first time I saw The Smiths on TV performing This Charming Man. Brilliant.

Iggy Pop, that guy is great to watch. Still doing it too.

David Bowie, his head is so far up his own arse he can't see daylight but has produced some of the best music around.

Liam Gallagher of Oasis, wanker of the highest order but I loved Oasis and Liam's outspoken diatribes.

Joe Newman of Alt-J

The Proclaimers.

Now, you might not think that singing in a Scottish accent is an "affectation", but when you're used to your compatriots singing in English or American accents (Richard Jobson 2 posts up from here, for example), it's pretty weird when you first hear it (but not in an unpleasant way).

I wonder what an Al Jarreau and Joe Cocker duet would sound like.

Found one:

Back
Top Bottom