• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Skeptic's Challenge

I didn't really anticipate this conversation about Biblical fallibility and was going to discuss Genesis 1:1, and Genesis 1:2-5, but now I am understanding that you believe the Bible is fallible and that changes things a bit.
what is your take on 2 Timothy 3:16-17?:
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
that admission by you about Biblical fallibility seems to contrast starkly if not otherwise make the verse false, a Biblical error.
that all the metaphors and tap dancing about what a verse means doesn't come from God but the reader in order to make it what the reader wants.
maybe if this topic runs it's course we can move onto the Genesis account I was mentioning.

I don't see any contradiction there. The scripture as it is given, being inspired by God, is infallible. We are talking about the Bible, the translation of which isn't inspired and fallible. Though the Bible is good enough to do what Paul suggests in the verses you gave.

Is seems that Christians have a different meaning for "in order to believe it". Belief for me is based on my life experiences and the things I've learned. I don't chose what I want to believe. For example, do I believe that this chair will not break when I sit on it? Yes, I do, because every chair I've ever taken a seat in has not broken. They odds are highly in my favor that I'm right.

Now when Christians say is, "if you believe in Jesus -- with all your might -- you don't have to be tortured in Hell for eternity and you get a a free pass to eternal happiness." Well, that is a great deal, unless you can't believe that story for 10,000 legitimate reasons.

That would depend upon the legitimacy of the 10,000 reasons. For starters, the Bible doesn't teach hell. Or literal torture for eternity. And some who are resurrected to eternal happiness were [ETA will have] never so much as [been] introduced to the historical Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Why bother with quibbles about minor details? The bible revolves around the existence of a deity that we have no reason to believe actually exists.

So the "Bible" is fallible, but the "Scripture" is infallible.

But if someone challenges you on an inconsistency in the former, you'll step right up to the plate and prove that it can't possibly be wrong.

This is going to be endlessly entertaining.

Why bother with quibbles about minor details? The bible revolves around the existence of a deity that we have no reason to believe actually exists.

I'm trying to think . . . what scientific paper was that conclusion drawn in? What reason do you have not to believe he actually exists? What is he, in fact?

But if someone challenges you on an inconsistency in the former, you'll step right up to the plate and prove that it can't possibly be wrong.

Why don't you stop assuming what I'm all about and how my most intimate desires is to waste my time mind fucking you and present an inconsistency to test your theory?

Genesis 1 is scientifically inaccurate.

Prove it. How is it scientifically inaccurate? Not that that means anything to me.

In your OP you said you would 'successfully' refute claims of scientific inaccuracy in the Bible.

Now you are saying that such claims don't mean anything to you.

Are you willing to defend the scientific accuracy of Genesis 1, or not?

I'm trying to think . . . what scientific paper was that conclusion drawn in? What reason do you have not to believe he actually exists? What is he, in fact?

Two can play that game.

Who said anything about it being a scientific conclusion? Who said anything about it being a "he"?

Betcha I can successfully refute any claimed inaccuracies in the Harry Potter books too. "What ifs" and "That really means" make that easy enough. Not being able to absolutely disprove something doesn't imply that we should believe it to be true...

Why don't you stop assuming what I'm all about and how my most intimate desires is to waste my time mind fucking you and present an inconsistency to test your theory?

Why don't you present an inconsistency yourself?

You've copped to the Bible being fallible. You've said there are "problems" with it. Yet the premise of your OP is, in effect, "tell me what's wrong with the Bible, and I'll tell you why you're wrong."

You've already admitted your premise is flawed. I challenge you to challenge yourself.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Prove it. How is it scientifically inaccurate? Not that that means anything to me.

In your OP you said you would 'successfully' refute claims of scientific inaccuracy in the Bible.

Now you are saying it such claims don't mean anything to you.

Are you willing to defend the scientific accuracy of Genesis 1, or not?

I asked the skeptic to present any problems they have with the Bible. Spurious scriptures, copyist errors and contradictions mostly having to do with the numerical exist. That I have already stated. Just because I challenge you to do this doesn't mean it can't be done.

I did also mention historical and scientific inaccuracies, and I stand by that, but that isn't to say that I think that the Bible and science always agree, it is that when they do I trust the Bible over science. But you have to keep a couple things in mind. 1. Science and history are not always accurate. For example, you can argue the historical existence of Jesus because there are only a few well known historical references to him and these are spurious. What does that say about Jesus. Almost nothing, but what does it say about historical accuracy itself?

And, there are also a couple not so well known historical references of Jesus Christ that are accepted by scholars as authentic. Again. Because the scholars agree they are authentic are they? Maybe. Maybe not. These things are only for consideration.

My strength in this thread is that most skeptics don't know a fraction of what they think they do that is anywhere near accurate.

Give my your criticism of Genesis 1 and I will refute it. One at a time, though, you are not the only one. I am only one.

Two can play that game.

Who said anything about it being a scientific conclusion? Who said anything about it being a "he"?

Betcha I can successfully refute any claimed inaccuracies in the Harry Potter books too. "What ifs" and "That really means" make that easy enough. Not being able to absolutely disprove something doesn't imply that we should believe it to be true...

Okay. I propose to you that the headmaster of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter Series is an old wizard who's name is Gandalf. He rides a white horse who's name is Shadowfax.

Dispute that.

Why don't you present an inconsistency yourself?

I already have. Spurious scripture John 7:53–8:11. Here is three more. Mark 16:9-20 / John 5:4 / 1 John 5:7.

You've copped to the Bible being fallible. You've said there are "problems" with it. Yet the premise of your OP is, in effect, "tell me what's wrong with the Bible, and I'll tell you why you're wrong."

And you won't do it. Isn't that ridiculous?

You've already admitted your premise is flawed. I challenge you to challenge yourself.

[Sigh] I might as well ask the cat.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Just challenge me.

Spurious scripture John 7:53–8:11. Here is three more. Mark 16:9-20 / John 5:4 / 1 John 5:7.

Just challenge me.

Challenge met. Please refute yourself.

Produce any alleged contradictions, imperfections, historical or scientific inaccuracies you perceive in the Bible and I will successfully refute them.

Two can play that game.

Okay. I propose to you that the headmaster of Hogwarts in the Harry Potter Series is an old wizard who's name is Gandalf. He rides a white horse who's name is Shadowfax.

Dispute that.

Too easy. Gandalf is in the Wizard Protection Program and had to change his name and location, which is why he's called Dumbledore in the books. Shadowfax went with him and is an anim-animagus whose second form is the phoenix Fawkes.

It makes perfect sense, so it must be true...

Dispute that.

Too easy. Gandalf is in the Wizard Protection Program and had to change his name and location, which is why he's called Dumbledore in the books. Shadowfax went with him and is an anim-animagus whose second form is the phoenix Fawkes.

It makes perfect sense, so it must be true...

Well, now, that's just one interpretation. Don't get all arrogant and shit. :lol:

Let's see. Where to even begin. I'll pick Historical Accuracies for 200.

Even though there's way more than 200 of them... but I suppose we'll have to start somewhere.

Let's start with a simple one:

Why did it take the Israelites 40 years to cross the desert to Canaan, when this journey would only have taken a few weeks on foot even back then? Also, and this is breaking the rules of your OP a little, but deal with it; why does the bible mention them passing near the land of the Phillistines... even though the Phillistines didn't yet exist and wouldn't exist for hundreds of years? That's a pretty big historical fuckup that can't be explained in the bible's favor except by desperately insisting the archeologists must've gotten it wrong.

There are problems with the Bible but of the hundreds of skeptics I have presented with this challenge none of them have ever gotten one of them. What they take for errors of the Bible are actually theological rather than scriptural in nature, misinterpretations, that sort of thing.

How convenient. Any time the bible is in error, it's "theological" not "scriptural" (which is just a semantic difference), or a "misinterpretation."

Must be nice having such an instant "not a problem" button.

Reactions: jab
Back
Top Bottom