• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Skeptic's Challenge

DLH

Basic Beliefs
Bible Believer
The skeptic's challenge is this. Produce any alleged contradictions, imperfections, historical or scientific inaccuracies you perceive in the Bible and I will successfully refute them. The only rule is that you can give only one at a time per person. When I answer your first then you can provide a second if you wish.

that the right metaphor invalidates it.

that the right metaphor invalidates it.

Example, please? Be specific. Don't just be a smart ass. I don't mind if you be a smart ass, only if you are equal parts of both. Smart, and an ass. Not just a smart ass. I want good discussion, not witty banter.

do you want to start with Genesis 1:1 then move along to Genesis 1:2-5?

ok just for starters, does the Bible have to be true?

You see, that isn't very specific. Does it have to be true? As a whole? In order to believe it? In order for it to justify it's abuse? Goddammit, none, you're supposed to give me specific problem's with the Bible like the list I gave.

You never want to play right.

The Bible is fallible.

I didn't really anticipate this conversation about Biblical fallibility and was going to discuss Genesis 1:1, and Genesis 1:2-5, but now I am understanding that you believe the Bible is fallible and that changes things a bit.
what is your take on 2 Timothy 3:16-17?:
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
that admission by you about Biblical fallibility seems to contrast starkly if not otherwise make the verse false, a Biblical error.
that all the metaphors and tap dancing about what a verse means doesn't come from God but the reader in order to make it what the reader wants.
maybe if this topic runs it's course we can move onto the Genesis account I was mentioning.

The Bible is fallible.

Really? Seems to contradict your OP:

Produce any alleged contradictions, imperfections, historical or scientific inaccuracies you perceive in the Bible and I will successfully refute them.

You've given yourself quite the "out" when it comes to your challenge.

:tombstone:

I should have stopped with you there on that point, but was curious.
I am not a mind reader so I don't know why he believes the Bible is not truthful in content. HA,ha

The skeptic's challenge is this. Produce any alleged contradictions, imperfections, historical or scientific inaccuracies you perceive in the Bible and I will successfully refute them. The only rule is that you can give only one at a time per person. When I answer your first then you can provide a second if you wish.

Does the Bible indicate the age of Planet Earth?

You see, that isn't very specific. Does it have to be true? As a whole? In order to believe it? In order for it to justify it's abuse? Goddammit, none, you're supposed to give me specific problem's with the Bible like the list I gave.

You never want to play right.

The Bible is fallible.

Is seems that Christians have a different meaning for "in order to believe it". Belief for me is based on my life experiences and the things I've learned. I don't chose what I want to believe. For example, do I believe that this chair will not break when I sit on it? Yes, I do, because every chair I've ever taken a seat in has not broken. They odds are highly in my favor that I'm right.

Now when Christians say is, "if you believe in Jesus -- with all your might -- you don't have to be tortured in Hell for eternity and you get a a free pass to eternal happiness." Well, that is a great deal, unless you can't believe that story for 10,000 legitimate reasons.

Produce any alleged contradictions, imperfections, historical or scientific inaccuracies you perceive in the Bible and I will successfully refute them.

There are problems with the Bible but of the hundreds of skeptics I have presented with this challenge none of them have ever gotten one of them. What they take for errors of the Bible are actually theological rather than scriptural in nature, misinterpretations, that sort of thing. Part of knowing the Bible is having an accurate knowledge of where it's imperfections are. Copyist errors, mostly numerical, spurious scriptures, that sort of thing.

Does the Bible indicate the age of Planet Earth?

Good question. No. It doesn't. For a thorough explanation read my Skeptic's Study Bible | Genesis Chapter 1 including the Academic's Annotated Bible and Skeptic's FAQ. It isn't as lengthy a read as it sounds.

There are problems with the Bible but of the hundreds of skeptics I have presented with this challenge none of them have ever gotten one of them.

Well then in the interest of magnanimity, what's one of the problems?

If the Bible is fallible, and has problems, then perhaps you could take the time and refute your own OP by laying out which parts of the Bible are clearly wrong.

I'll wait...

Reactions: jab
I want to know why Pharaoh doesn't have a name.

I think that was intentional, to demonstrate his insignificance. Later Pharaoh's were mentioned by name, like Shishak, So, Tirhakah, Nechoh, and Hophra. But many prior to those were not named.

Well then in the interest of magnanimity, what's one of the problems?

If the Bible is fallible, and has problems, then perhaps you could take the time and refute your own OP by laying out which parts of the Bible are clearly wrong.

I'll wait...

Are you aware of any of the spurious scriptures? Like, bringing the harlot to Jesus and him saying 'He who is without sin cast the first stone.' Never happened. It was added. It suddenly appears in later manuscripts.

Back
Top Bottom