• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Slingshot versus handgun

I don't think a slug from a flip could take down a zombie, not even point blank.

What exactly is a 'flip?' A sling as in two long strings with a pouch in the middle which you load and whirl? If so, these were used by ancient armies to good effect, the Greeks, the Romans......

That's not a slingshot, it's a catapult (except in America, where they don't talk proper). A slingshot has no elastic components, and relies for it's power on extending the effective length of the thrower's arm.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDjL5uOs-8A[/YOUTUBE]

Both can be very powerful; The problem with ancient weapons is not that they lack power compared with modern firearms; but that they require far more skill and training to be effective.

Guns are 'better' because any moron can learn to be effective with one with very little training - both physical training to build muscle strength, and training for accuracy, are far less important with guns than with bows, catapults or slings.

It's not our fault that the English use the English language wrong! ;)

Folks,

Here is a weird fact. The Scottish government have just passed a law requiring low power air pistols to be on a 'firearms' licence. This is an air pistol projecting a .177 pellet at around 300 feet per second. A good hand catapult can project a 25mm lead ball at 260-300 feet per second. The power of that catapult is lethal to animals and humans with a well place shot within 25 metres or further. Total range is around 200 metres. The air pistol is pathetic in comparison.

Licence for one thing, no licence for the other. Unlicensed hunting with a catapult is fully legal within the UK.

What's that about?

Alex.

Our gun laws allow us to own pump action rifles, but not pump action shotguns. A high powered rifle having more range and energy/hitting power than a 12g Shotgun....except maybe at very close range. There are also other inconsistencies. I don't know who the government gets to advise them when they formulate these laws. It's very strange.

Spears, sticks and rocks can be deadly, as well, but how would you regulate something like that?

Folks,

Here is a weird fact. The Scottish government have just passed a law requiring low power air pistols to be on a 'firearms' licence. This is an air pistol projecting a .177 pellet at around 300 feet per second. A good hand catapult can project a 25mm lead ball at 260-300 feet per second. The power of that catapult is lethal to animals and humans with a well place shot within 25 metres or further. Total range is around 200 metres. The air pistol is pathetic in comparison.

Licence for one thing, no licence for the other. Unlicensed hunting with a catapult is fully legal within the UK.

What's that about?

Alex.

Then they'd probably have to regulate trebuchets. Can't take away a man's trebuchet.

I don't think a slug from a flip could take down a zombie, not even point blank.

What exactly is a 'flip?' A sling as in two long strings with a pouch in the middle which you load and whirl? If so, these were used by ancient armies to good effect, the Greeks, the Romans......
A "flip" is a slingshot, looks like the letter Y, the kind you hold with one hand and pull back on the bands with the other hand. A common model when I was a kid was "Wrist Rocket." Very lethal stuff. You use your index finger and thumb to brace against the two sides while holding the bottom of the Y with the rest of your hand. But don't get any fingers in the way of the bands or the shot. Hurts like hell if you do.

Folks,

After much experiment, I've decided that we all need lead balls. They are heavier and grip the pouch better. The downside is the expense of lead, but what is a good shot worth?

Alex.

Folks,

After much experiment, I've decided that we all need lead balls. They are heavier and grip the pouch better. The downside is the expense of lead, but what is a good shot worth?

Alex.
It depends on where you get the lead. An afternoon walk of a couple miles along some suburban street can net a couple pounds of lead tire weights found in the gutters. These can easily be melted on the kitchen stove in a soup can and poured into a cheap ball mold like those that are used to make musket shot.

Folks,

Alex.
It depends on where you get the lead. An afternoon walk of a couple miles along some suburban street can net a couple pounds of lead tire weights found in the gutters. These can easily be melted on the kitchen stove in a soup can and poured into a cheap ball mold like those that are used to make musket shot.

Yep. That's what my brother used to do, but with fishing weights. He had a lead mold kit and made his own weights. You gotta be careful not to spend too much time around those lead fumes, though. That can do nasty shit to your brain. I sometimes wonder if that's why my bro seems a little soft in the head.

Back
Top Bottom