• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Snowflakes in action: the actual reality of "snowflakes" in the world and the consequences

Your interpretation is inconsistent with your contention that this "insight" is the work of left-leaning parents. I wonder if you are resorting to pedantry to hide this flip-flop. I have read that the inability to read in context is a sign of autism.
Stop deflecting. ...
[/QUOTE]
You are the one deflecting from your inconsistent position, not me. It is interesting that when I first used employed the plain reading of your words, you had a meltdown.

Between your pedantry and close-minded ideology, rational discussion has become impossible with you.

Your interpretation is inconsistent with your contention that this "insight" is the work of left-leaning parents. I wonder if you are resorting to pedantry to hide this flip-flop. I have read that the inability to read in context is a sign of autism.
Stop deflecting. ...
You are the one deflecting from your inconsistent position, not me. It is interesting that when I first used employed the plain reading of your words, you had a meltdown.

Between your pedantry and close-minded ideology, rational discussion has become impossible with you.

My position is not inconsistent.

I do not believe the child ever uttered those words.

I do not believe the words to be 'insightful' or praiseworthy in any way. The plain meaning of the words is, in fact, an evil sentiment.

I do believe this was a meme, concocted by leftists and swallowed whole by them (as is evidenced by your response and the several 'likes' the meme got on this board), despite the ridiculous plain meaning of the 'insightful' 'quote'.

Yes, this meme, the plain meaning of the child's 'quote', makes leftists look bad to people outside the leftist faith. The fact that it makes them look bad is not inconsistent with the fact that it was made by virtue-signalling leftist adutls with an audience consisting of their own coterie of fellow believers.

Faith is exactly like that to the insiders.

I already explained in post #188

Even creationists do better than that.
Repeating that Metaphor thinks it's "fucking bullshit" is no explanation, it's just RW extremist bluster. Throwing in your best ten dollar word (ability to be praised by Meta is the metric of Metalaudability) doesn't explain anything; it's an adjective. I know you have plenty of invective to toss about, but you have not even touched the question of what is "evil" about the insight expressed in the meme. As I pointed out, with the minor syntax mod, it's literally the truth. Without that mod, it's just slightly hyperbolic. But it is a Force For Good, and your criticism is evil.

Bringing attention to wrong, that it might not be repeated, is an affront to those who would repeat it.
Warning against repeating history is not evil
It's not rocket science.
Especially when there is a real and present danger in the form of a major American political party that is cleft unto autocracy and white supremacy (evil), and will most likely control the government for six years beginning in one year.

Just as an exercise you might imagine...
Do you think there is more than one person who wants to do it again?
Do you think that person approves of banning "Maus"?

If you answer no to either of those, you are most certainly nwrt.
If you concede that there is more than one white supremacist, neo nazi, whatever, who would approve of banning "Maus", then you are abetting the evil described in the book by describing the meme as evil.

Even creationists do better than that.
Repeating that Metaphor thinks it's "fucking bullshit" is no explanation, it's just RW extremist bluster. Throwing in your best ten dollar word (ability to be praised by Meta is the metric of Metalaudability) doesn't explain anything; it's an adjective. I know you have plenty of invective to toss about, but you have not even touched the question of what is "evil" about the insight expressed in the meme. As I pointed out, with the minor syntax mod, it's literally the truth. Without that mod, it's just slightly hyperbolic. But it is a Force For Good, and your criticism is evil.
It is not literally the truth that people who are uncomfortable reading about atrocities want to repeat them.

Your position is unevidenced and insane.

Did you get that Nazis don't feel bad about the injustice of the 1940s, Meta?
Do you understand that they get miffed when people bring up that little incident?
Why do you want to take their side?

It is not literally the truth that people who are uncomfortable reading about atrocities want to repeat them.

Your position is unevidenced and insane.
The position you FALSELY impute to me is insane.
Why are you clinging to it?
After I explained:
YOU'RE SUPPOSED to feel fucking uncomfortable unless you're a Nazi who wants to do it again.
Then you get mad and call it fucking bullshit.
NAZIS DON'T FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE ABOUT WHAT THEY DO.
THEY WANT TO DO IT AGAIN.

They feel uncomfortable when their guys lose elections, but not when their guys lie, cheat, steal or mass murder.
When people show how evil Nazis are, Nazis attack those people.
Why are YOU attacking those people, Meta?

The position you FALSELY impute to me is insane.
Why are you clinging to it?
After I explained:
YOU'RE SUPPOSED to feel fucking uncomfortable unless you're a Nazi who wants to do it again.
Then you get mad and call it fucking bullshit.
NAZIS DON'T FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE ABOUT WHAT THEY DO.
THEY WANT TO DO IT AGAIN.

They feel uncomfortable when their guys lose elections, but not when their guys lie, cheat, steal or mass murder.
When people show how evil Nazis are, Nazis attack those people.
Why are YOU attacking those people, Meta?
I think you need to read your own meme.

It says the exact opposite of what you belive it says.

I think this precocious nine year old says it all:

View attachment 36950
Perhaps in a more appropriate subforum I'd like to do an against-the-text, critical reading of this post. I'm frightened that this appealed so easily to the leftists on this board that they thought what the child allegedly said was 'insightful'. Holy shit: what the child said was not insightful: it is downright evil.
What do you find evil about the child’s statement ( assuming for the moment that this is what the child actually said)?

Edit: I did not see your post 188 when I wrote this one but my question stands:

Assume or pretend to believe that a 9 year old child said the words that are imputed to her: Why is it evil for her to say those words?

FWIW, I don’t think whoever said/wrote those words is correct for most people. I think that most people are uncomfortable when confronted by the absolute inhumanity in the ways that some or even many or most people treated other people: nobles and serfs, women being treated as chattel ( property), child labor, slavery, indentured servitude, genocide of indigenous people, bigotry against whatever newly arrived group was easiest to target, what people are abs how seldom they bathed, outhouses and raw sewage running along streets, children dying of diaper rash ( used to be common) and dying or being scarred by common childhood diseases we now prevent by vaccination, how the buffalo were slaughtered to make way fir the railway, and dozens abs dozens of other things.

People don’t change if they are never made uncomfortable. Indeed, we should celebrate that children might be upset by or even horrified by things they learn in history classes. It means they have empathy —and that is a good thing.

I think that many of the inhumane things that humans have done to other humans have been done because some people were considered less than fully human. Some are motivated by greed and selfishness and laziness. Some out of ignorance and sometimes, desperation.

Last edited:

View attachment 36950
Perhaps in a more appropriate subforum I'd like to do an against-the-text, critical reading of this post. I'm frightened that this appealed so easily to the leftists on this board that they thought what the child allegedly said was 'insightful'. Holy shit: what the child said was not insightful: it is downright evil.
What do you find evil about the child’s statement ( assuming for the moment that this is what the child actually said)?
I already explained in post #188.

If a person does not want to read about torture, that does not mean they want to inflict it.

In year 9, our history class was taught about the Indochina Wars, and part of that was the atrocities and tortures inflicted by either side. I did not like reading about those atrocities and tortures and that does not mean I want to inflict atrocities and tortures. Do you think white people who feel distressed when reading about atrocities and tortures must feel distressed because they want to inflict them?

I have posted here my further thoughts on what is wrong with the meme posted by Elixir, and the leftists on this board who mindlessly praised it.

Stop deflecting. ...

You are incorrect.

I do not believe the words to be 'insightful' or praiseworthy in any way. The plain meaning of the words is, in fact, an evil sentiment.
Your characterization show much more evil intent than that "insight" ever did.
I do believe this was a meme, concocted by leftists ....
Oh noes, it is those "leftists"!!!!!! You've swallowed the conservative snowflake narrative hook, line and sinker with the faith of a YECer.

Please tell us you are simply kidding, because otherwise your response is truly delusional.

If a person does not want to read about torture, that does not mean they want to inflict it.
Attacking people for attacking Nazis tells most people all they need to know about your position.
Nobody said that not wanting to read it means you want to do it.
But if you don’t want OTHERS to read it
YOU MIGHT BE A NAZI
Nobody wants YOU to make yourself uncomfortable by trying to read it Meta. Declining to read due to discomfort could indicate cowardice or semi-literacy, but not genocidal intent.

View attachment 36950

In year 9, our history class was taught about the Indochina Wars, and part of that was the atrocities and tortures inflicted by either side. I did not like reading about those atrocities and tortures and that does not mean I want to inflict atrocities and tortures. Do you think white people who feel distressed when reading about atrocities and tortures must feel distressed because they want to inflict them?

I have posted here my further thoughts on what is wrong with the meme posted by Elixir, and the leftists on this board who mindlessly praised it.

Disagreeing with something doesn’t make that something evil.

Please tell us you are simply kidding, because otherwise your response is truly delusional.
Stop deflecting. ...

You are incorrect.

Your characterization show much more evil intent than that "insight" ever did.
I do believe this was a meme, concocted by leftists ....
Oh noes, it is those "leftists"!!!!!! You've swallowed the conservative snowflake narrative hook, line and sinker with the faith of a YECer.

Your blindness to your own faith is not surprising.

Attacking people for attacking Nazis tells most people all they need to know about your position.
Nobody said that not wanting to read it means you want to do it.
No: the meme says feeling 'uncomfortable' or 'bad' or 'sad' about it means you want to do it, if you are white.

Those are the plain words in the quote in your own meme. If you disagree with the words in your own meme, good.

View attachment 36950

This cannot be your response.

When I read about what white people did in the Indochina Wars and that made me feel 'bad', 'sad', AND 'uncomfortable', did those feelings indicate I wanted to inflict tortures and atrocities?

Because that is what the meme you praised says.

Declining to read due to discomfort could indicate cowardice or semi-literacy, but not genocidal intent.
What a gracious concession.

So, when I felt discomfort reading about the atrocities and tortures of the Indochina wars (on all sides, but let's just say I'm talking about what the white people did), it was not an indication that I wanted that to happen again, and you disagree with the 'insightful' quote in your meme?

View attachment 36950

When one is a righteous conservative who sees leftist conspiracies in the saying of a child, then clearly those statements are evil because they contradict that snowflakes deeply held religious beliefs - beliefs that make entertaining the notion one could be wrong impossible.

I thought it was obvious that the meme was made in the context of the efforts to ban books about history from classrooms. Metaphor seems to be arguing about what it means if it had absolutley no context at all.

But it is very difficlt to imagine any meme created in the absence of context. You know?

So I think it is fairly safe to assume the meme had context and its meaning is embedded in that context. Of banning books about history from schools.

And all the replies are also assuming that context, wth the sole excption of Metaphor’s.

View attachment 36950

This cannot be your response.

When I read about what white people did in the Indochina Wars and that made me feel 'bad', 'sad', AND 'uncomfortable', did those feelings indicate I wanted to inflict tortures and atrocities?

Because that is what the meme you praised says.
I also disagree with the meme and I’m a little skeptical about it originating from a 9 year old. Maybe it did. Maybe it didn’t.

I am not questioning your disagreement with the nene: I also disagree. I just don’t understand why you find it evil.

There’s another meme going around—showing the image of a young Ruby Bridges walking to school under guard as white adults hurled insults at the kindergartener going to a white school. The meme reads something like: If she was brave enough to endure this, then your child should be able to read about it.

I tremendously agree with that statement. I’ve been horrified by history that I learned but frankly, I was horrified at what I heard come out of my grandfather’s mouth when I was 6 years old.

Education is bound to make any person with feeling uncomfortable. A good teacher can present the lesson while helping the students process the information in a way that is not too overwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom