• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So the new Firefox seems pretty impressive.

braces_for_impact

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The new Firefox Quantum has a nice clean look to it, and it's fast. Still has great extensions. I'm not sure if I could ever give up chrome, I'm in balls deep with Google, including havng a chromecast. If I coud cast from Firefox, I might actually switch.

My dev extensions were "legacy", which means I have to find substitutes. Plus I hate the new Responsive Design Mode. Get off my lawn, dammit.

I had stopped using Firefox as it just bogged down. I'll need to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Firefox and have a big problem with memory. After a while the whole system is bogged down, task manager shows multiple jobs, some taking up up to 1.7 gig of memory! Have to kill a few of them off for normal functioning again. Some sites eat up the memory a lot faster than others (looking at you Salon!!!) Had hoped the new update would fix this, but no luck. Any ideas on what to do with this problem?

I use Firefox and have a big problem with memory. After a while the whole system is bogged down, task manager shows multiple jobs, some taking up up to 1.7 gig of memory! Have to kill a few of them off for normal functioning again. Some sites eat up the memory a lot faster than others (looking at you Salon!!!) Had hoped the new update would fix this, but no luck. Any ideas on what to do with this problem?

Run fewer tabs?

Run fewer tabs?

I don't run that many tabs. Maybe 6 on an average day, and close down any non-business one after I'm done with it. Problem is the memory issue does not go away with closing the tabs.

I use Firefox on RHEL, and it's fairly memory hungry, compared to some other processes - but it only uses about 1GB out of 32, even with a dozen or more tabs open, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I guess it could be a drama for people who are still on 32-bit systems with only a couple of GB of addressable RAM.

Not a giant problem here with 8 gigs of ram on Mageia 5 Linux. I often run two open browsers, Fire Fox and Opera. I might be browsing websites in Fire Fox while streaming MSNBC in Opera in a second virtual desktop.

I use Firefox on RHEL, and it's fairly memory hungry, compared to some other processes - but it only uses about 1GB out of 32, even with a dozen or more tabs open, so it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I guess it could be a drama for people who are still on 32-bit systems with only a couple of GB of addressable RAM.

Ugh. That means the browsers aren't checking to see how much total memory is available before slurping it up. Tsk, tsk.

Back
Top Bottom