• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Merged So what's next for Trump?

To denote when two or more threads have been merged
Liz Cheney is out of power and won't hold office again. In that regard, she is harmless. However, she is still a danger to Trump and his co-insurrectionists. What's not to like?
That's how I see it.
Cheney is an old school conservative. I usually disagree with her opinions.
But I recognize that she's got principles. She's got more integrity in her pinky finger than all the Teaparty Trumpistas put together.
Tom

Not exactly next for Trump but his lawyer.

The TL/DW version: A young server at Bedminster was sexually harassed by management at Bedminster, eventually engaged a lawyer. Habba turned up, pretended to be her friend, and got her to agree to a "paltry" settlement with an onerous and illegal NDA attached. The server has now gotten a better attorney and filed a complaint which could lead to Habba being disciplined in New Jersey.

Trump only hires the best.

Trump has some new NFTs called The Mugshot edition" If you buy 47, you get an actual card with a bit of the suit he wore for the mugshot photo.

He says people are calling the suit "The most significant artifact in US history."

Yeah, I want a piece of that sweaty, shit stained, nasty suit.

More important than the original copy of the Declaration of Independence? What an egomaniac.

Trump has some new NFTs called The Mugshot edition" If you buy 47, you get an actual card with a bit of the suit he wore for the mugshot photo.

He says people are calling the suit "The most significant artifact in US history."

Is it really an NFT, though? Last time I checked, an NFT was a digital image. Also, I don't think for a moment that - if you were stupid enough to buy this (more on that in a moment) it would actually be a piece of that suit. A picture of a piece? Possibly...but no way to verify that it was the real deal.

And this is allegedly to raise money for his legal defense fund. So money to hire more people like Alina Habba. An attorney whose previous "big client" was (checks notes) a parking garage.

Wrap your mind around that for a second. Fragilego Mussolini - a self-proclaimed billionaire - is saying "send me money so I can hire attorneys who aren't even good enough to get jobs as personal injury lawyers."

The level of grift here is astounding. People who would have to launch a GoFundMe campaign to pay for a medical emergency are lining up to buy a piece of a suit (or a picture of a piece of a suit) to "help" an absurdly wealthy and powerful man pay for his legal defense by hiring shitty lawyers.

What?

Wow.

So a picture of a "trading card" of some delusional Trump fan's "art work" is worth $97?

Note to self: When I go home next weekend, I'm going to ask my mom whatever happened to that baseball my dad brought home one day that was autographed by the members of the 1976 Detroit Tigers baseball team. That's gotta be worth more than a JPEG of "Trump as Rambo."

NFT's - non-fungible tokens - are certificates of ownership, like the deed of a house.

There isn't much that they are useful for, though someone might think of a good use case for them.

The recent NFT bubble is one of a long series of investment bubbles, like the Dutch tulip mania. Some of them were involved with genuinely productive things, like the British Railway Mania of the 1840's and the dotcom bubble of the 1990's, but others were not so productive, like the mid-2000's US housing bubble.

I'll say this about T. He's been hiding those bulging 6-pack abs far too long. No wonder the ladies go for him. My God!! And here I imagined he had ginormous, Jarlsberg-colored man boobs sagging down over his smiling belly crease. Boy was I wrong, and I'm owning up to it here.

Wrap your mind around that for a second. Fragilego Mussolini - a self-proclaimed billionaire - is saying "send me money so I can hire attorneys who aren't even good enough to get jobs as personal injury lawyers."
Don the felon Trump is a master grifter. He knows his audience. And democracies are only as strong as their voters are informed and rational. Trumpo's supporters are running on how they feel. We're in for a very bumpy ride.

Is it really an NFT, though? Last time I checked, an NFT was a digital image. Also, I don't think for a moment that - if you were stupid enough to buy this (more on that in a moment) it would actually be a piece of that suit. A picture of a piece? Possibly...but no way to verify that it was the real deal.

And this is allegedly to raise money for his legal defense fund. So money to hire more people like Alina Habba. An attorney whose previous "big client" was (checks notes) a parking garage.

The level of grift here is astounding. People who would have to launch a GoFundMe campaign to pay for a medical emergency are lining up to buy a piece of a suit (or a picture of a piece of a suit) to "help" an absurdly wealthy and powerful man pay for his legal defense by hiring shitty lawyers.

What?
NFTs can be attached to anything that is numbered, anything that can be numbered, and any number that can be generated from any asset. This is because NFTs are simply complicated mechanisms for declaring ownership of a number according to some public ledger.

In July 2023, allies of Donald Trump established the Patriot Legal Defense Fund to help the former president and 2024 GOP presidential frontrunner pay down his legal bills. Trump was already facing two criminal indictments at the time, and that number increased to four the following month.

According to a report by the Daily Beast's Roger Sollenberger published on December 12, however, the Patriot Legal Defense Fund "appears to have placed its spending priorities in a strange place: Mar-a-Lago."

"New tax filings show Trump's legal defense fund raising about $1.6 million over the last six months and spending less than $30,000," Sollenberger explains. "But more notable than how little the legal defense group has spent is what they didn't spend it on — namely, legal services — as well as what they paid for: a party at Mar-a-Lago…. While the fund can accept unlimited donations from both individuals and corporations, its first periodic financial report, submitted to the Internal Revenue Service on Wednesday, indicates a phlegmatic start, with only about $1.6 million in receipts."
More in the link.

Just reported: Colorado Supreme Court says Von Clownstick is disqualified from the ballot because he engaged in insurrection. Obviously....more to come...
Finally, a court that had the balls to state the obvious.
It will be reversed by the bought and paid for Supreme Court.

Just reported: Colorado Supreme Court says Von Clownstick is disqualified from the ballot because he engaged in insurrection. Obviously....more to come...
Finally, a court that had the balls to state the obvious.
It will be reversed by the bought and paid for Supreme Court.
Argh! I agree with you but it feels wrong to hit the "Like" button on this because I certainly don't like the situation.

Apparently, most of the expectation that the Supremes will bail Trump out and restore him to Colorado’s ballot spring from wrangling over the context of “officer” of the United States and whether it applies to a President. (With a healthy side dose, obviously, of “the hopelessly corrupt SCOTUS will save him because of course they will.”)

Personally, his disqualification seems clear on the face of it. The 14th amendment
says: “No person shall ... hold any office, civil or military, under the United States ... who, having previously taken an oath ... as an officer of the United States, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.”

Unless you’re one of the zombies incapable of finding any fault with him, Trump ticks every one of those boxes, by any rational consideration. If the Supreme Court vacates Colorado’s ruling based on “officer” as an escape clause, I think that counts as an official, overt declaration that the court has been fully and willingly hijacked by Trump and they don’t care who knows it—basically Florida judge Aileen Cannon writ large.

Knowing the origins of section 3 of the 14th amendment, aimed at keeping former Confederates from high office, how could it NOT be argued that the very pinnacle of the executive branch was among the offices the authors sought to protect?

SCOTUS will use the 'he hasn't been convicted yet' as their backdoor out of this.

I mean, history be damned. Almost none of the confederate officers this was written to include were ever convicted, but the writers at the time understood that was the intent of the amendment.

The legalistic gymnastics might be very interesting, if fucking depressing, especially Roberts, who came down hard on the side of states' rights in his writings.

Back
Top Bottom