• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

So why is this a bad thing?

Real men do not pay a lot of attention to that sort of nonsense. One is more likely to find that talk among insecure women who see prostitutes and their sexuality as a threat.

Maybe that's more likely, but I originally encountered the idea among insecure men. It's like Jolly Penguin said-- "sexually frustrated men wanting to have sex and not having it easily available to them", but being unwilling to utilize prostitutes because, well, I guess they're not "real men" in your eyes, since they took seriously the idea that "having to pay for sex" would be a confirmation of their pathetic-ness. Is this something you're really not familiar with, or do you just look down on the men who are affected by it?

"Not paying attention" does not equate to "just look down on." I don't think you want to challenge me to a manly man contest, but we will need to agree a definition of manliness before it begins. I will say, being overly concerned about what other men think of one's sex life is not a manly trait.

Maybe that's more likely, but I originally encountered the idea among insecure men. It's like Jolly Penguin said-- "sexually frustrated men wanting to have sex and not having it easily available to them", but being unwilling to utilize prostitutes because, well, I guess they're not "real men" in your eyes, since they took seriously the idea that "having to pay for sex" would be a confirmation of their pathetic-ness. Is this something you're really not familiar with, or do you just look down on the men who are affected by it?

"Not paying attention" does not equate to "just look down on." I don't think you want to challenge me to a manly man contest, but we will need to agree a definition of manliness before it begins. I will say, being overly concerned about what other men think of one's sex life is not a manly trait.

??? How did you get anything about a "manly man contest" out of what he wrote? He wasn't challenging your manhood. He was asking if you are oblivious to men who see it differently than you do; the ones that I described in the post above. As I wrote above, some men feel it makes them losers and undesirable to resort to seeing hookers. Others shame them if they hear the guys have done this. It would be nice to see this taboo go away. It kind of nice to see that you're not aware of it, which maybe means it is fading.

I recall when I was growing up, masturbation was an incredibly embarassing thing to admit to have done. Today... I don't think many people would deny they do it. It would be nice to see the paid sex taboo fade away the same way, and data seems to show that it would help bring down rape stats.

??? How did you get anything about a "manly man contest" out of what he wrote? He wasn't challenging your manhood.

It's called "Bronzeage is deliberately refusing to take this seriously". Which is pretty much what I was getting at with the whole "look down on" bit. He can't personally relate to these guys' insecurities, so they don't matter, and therefore any taboo or stigma which primarily affects those sorts of guys doesn't count as a real taboo/stigma in his eyes, so he's not willing to discuss it in a manner that doesn't involve making dismissive jokes. It would be beneath him to do so.

Back
Top Bottom