• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Some on the far right choose meat only diets to piss off liberals.

Can't tell you how many professors I have known who died (usually of some wasting disease or another mind you, not political self-immolation) within a year or two of having retired.
Saw a similar number of military guys do that. 30-40 years in uniform, get out, spend four months telling the wife how to run the house ("lemmee show you how to load a dishwasher"), then die. One of my first chiefs retired and spent his mornings filling a cooler with ice and beer and his afternoon drinking them, didn't make it a full year.

Now seeing similar cases in my industry. The 50-year pin for time spent supporting Special Projects (nuclear weapons) correlates almost directly to an obituary announcement. I'm about to get my 40 year pin, starting to get spooked.

Can't tell you how many professors I have known who died (usually of some wasting disease or another mind you, not political self-immolation) within a year or two of having retired.
Saw a similar number of military guys do that. 30-40 years in uniform, get out, spend four months telling the wife how to run the house ("lemmee show you how to load a dishwasher"), then die. One of my first chiefs retired and spent his mornings filling a cooler with ice and beer and his afternoon drinking them, didn't make it a full year.

Now seeing similar cases in my industry. The 50-year pin for time spent supporting Special Projects (nuclear weapons) correlates almost directly to an obituary announcement. I'm about to get my 40 year pin, starting to get spooked.

The retire then die thing may really be a thing. I've seen it in lots of different job contexts. Maybe its because when people finally stop and get a chance to rest, the body decides it has completed its purpose and makes way for the next generation? lol

The retire then die thing may really be a thing. I've seen it in lots of different job contexts. Maybe its because when people finally stop and get a chance to rest, the body decides it has completed its purpose and makes way for the next generation? lol

I work for a company which treats alcohol over-use disorder with Evidence-Based_medicine and CBT. Sadly, one of the biggest groups which overuses alcohol is the retired - and by a huge amount. They have time on their hands and many have enough money to buy booze. This is a leading cause of death and illness in that age group.

Maybe my dad got it right then - He was a senior lecturer at university, and when they were having one of their periodic cutbacks, they offered him a large payout to take an early retirement. He made a counter offer, whereby he retired but was allowed access to the university libraries, research laboratory, and senior common room, so the university stopped paying him a wage, and instead paid him a generous pension; While he stopped having to teach students (which he didn't like doing anyway) but was able to continue doing research with his former colleagues.

He even got some research funding from industry after his retirement, and spent hours filling papers with greek characters on his kitchen table.

That was almost thirty years ago, and he has his eighty first birthday next month. Despite having been a heavy smoker for most of his life, he is in excellent health for his age, and currently makes a very good income renting rooms in his large house near the university to grad students.

He still writes vast volumes of hieroglyphic greek equations. That's apparently what Physical Chemists do when you take away their laboratories full of high-powered lasers and explosives.

Back
Top Bottom