• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Some on the far right choose meat only diets to piss off liberals.

To be honest, I posted this because I thought it was funny. I seriously doubt that the majority of the far right are extreme carnivores, just like most of them don't drive trucks with the rolling coal option. I've only had that done to me a few times and it's probably the same asshole that does it. Why would that piss me off?

The first time I saw a truck doing that I felt kinda sorry for the owner. I thought there was something drastically wrong with his engine and the repairs were going to be expensive.

After I saw a few trucks pumping out black smoke and I realized it was a trend, I wondered what was the appeal. Big rigs blow out black smoke when they're under heavy load and straining to get up to speed. Why would anyone want their truck to look like it could barely haul their fat ass and a bag of groceries?

Then I read about the 'owning the libs' part. I can see how 'rolling coal' appeal to someone who wants to project an anti-environmentalist, pro-Big Oil and Coal stance, but it still makes their trucks look like crap.

- - - Updated - - -

When you make your food choices to spite those who don't share your political views, you are a special kind of awesome.

And you'll get a special kind of scurvy to prove it.

To be honest, I posted this because I thought it was funny. I seriously doubt that the majority of the far right are extreme carnivores, just like most of them don't drive trucks with the rolling coal option. I've only had that done to me a few times and it's probably the same asshole that does it. Why would that piss me off?

The first time I saw a truck doing that I felt kinda sorry for the owner. I thought there was something drastically wrong with his engine and the repairs were going to be expensive.

After I saw a few trucks pumping out black smoke and I realized it was a trend, I wondered what was the appeal. Big rigs blow out black smoke when they're under heavy load and straining to get up to speed. Why would anyone want their truck to look like it could barely haul their fat ass and a bag of groceries?

Then I read about the 'owning the libs' part. I can see how 'rolling coal' appeal to someone who wants to project an anti-environmentalist, pro-Big Oil and Coal stance, but it still makes their trucks look like crap.
Unfortunately, a lot of those assholes like to buzz us bicyclists when they do it (without, obviously, having any idea what our political leanings are). More than one misjudged the distance and seriously injured the cyclist. One in FL (I think) hit 3-4 "accidentally".

My carnivore diet: what I learned from eating only beef, salt and water

Just to try to bring a bit of balance...this is what happens when someone goes too far with carnivorism....

Jordan Peterson insists his fad diet helps you lose weight and feel better. I tried it for a week, and let me tell you: it was truly, punishingly awful
by Adam Gabbatt in New York

When I started my carnivore diet, I had no idea what it would involve. I thought it could be fun. I wasn’t to know I’d started on a journey that would involve rapid weight loss, complete exhaustion, and a professor of nutrition telling me I was at risk of scurvy.
It had started innocently.
Jordan Peterson, the disaffected male’s favoured academic and bestselling author, had appeared on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, the irreverent, current affairs-ish show on which Elon Musk recently smoked weed. The pair discussed Peterson’s self-help book, 12 Rules for Life, which created a stir when it was released in January. Rogan, a comedian and gym enthusiast who resembles a slab of corned beef, told Peterson how slim he looked.

Well
, Peterson said.
1355.jpg

It was because of his new diet.
“I eat beef and salt and water. That’s it, and I never cheat. Ever. Not even a little bit,” Peterson said. He’d been put on to the diet by his daughter, Mikhaila, and lost 60lb. What’s more, his anxiety and depression had lifted.
Weight loss? Improved mood? No side-effects? It sounded too good to be true.

It was.

Read the entertaining rest at https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/10/my-carnivore-diet-jordan-peterson-beef

Just to try to bring a bit of balance...this is what happens when someone goes too far with carnivorism....

[FONT=&][FONT=&]Jordan Peterson insists his fad diet helps you lose weight and feel better. I tried it for a week, and let me tell you: it was truly, punishingly awful
by Adam Gabbatt in New York
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&]
[FONT=&]W[/FONT]hen I started my carnivore diet, I had no idea what it would involve. I thought it could be fun. I wasn’t to know I’d started on a journey that would involve rapid weight loss, complete exhaustion, and a professor of nutrition telling me I was at risk of scurvy.
It had started innocently.
Jordan Peterson, the disaffected male’s favoured academic and bestselling author, had appeared on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, the irreverent, current affairs-ish show on which Elon Musk recently smoked weed. The pair discussed Peterson’s self-help book, 12 Rules for Life, which created a stir when it was released in January. Rogan, a comedian and gym enthusiast who resembles a slab of corned beef, told Peterson how slim he looked.

Well
, Peterson said.
1355.jpg

It was because of his new diet.
“I eat beef and salt and water. That’s it, and I never cheat. Ever. Not even a little bit,” Peterson said. He’d been put on to the diet by his daughter, Mikhaila, and lost 60lb. What’s more, his anxiety and depression had lifted.
Weight loss? Improved mood? No side-effects? It sounded too good to be true.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&]It was.[/FONT]

Read the entertaining rest at https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/10/my-carnivore-diet-jordan-peterson-beef

I feel better and have noticeably more energy on a no-carb/very low carb diet. It helped me drop 20+ pounds in about 30 days (combined with 5 day a week, 90 minute a day workout program). I've also kept the weight off since then. However, it's so difficult to maintain over an extended period that it being a lifestyle choice could only be accomplished by someone with a severely unhealthy self-image.

Different people react differently to different things, etc.

Edited to add: people who go on any diet to piss off others of a different political affiliation are fucking retarded.

I feel better and have noticeably more energy on a no-carb/very low carb diet. It helped me drop 20+ pounds in about 30 days (combined with 5 day a week, 90 minute a day workout program). I've also kept the weight off since then. However, it's so difficult to maintain over an extended period that it being a lifestyle choice could only be accomplished by someone with a severely unhealthy self-image.

Different people react differently to different things, etc.

You say that, but you say it right after saying that the only people who could maintain the diet must be those with a "severely unhealthy self-image". I suggest you do a little more research and maybe talk to people who have been doing this for years or decades before committing to that conclusion.

Can we please not argue about which diet is the right one. Fad diets come and go all the time and I don't believe that one diet is the best. I'm pretty sure that just like cockroaches and rats, humans can get buy with a very varied diet. In other words, the nastiest creatures on earth have survived by eating all kinds of shit.
As a reminder!

Can we please not argue about which diet is the right one. Fad diets come and go all the time and I don't believe that one diet is the best. I'm pretty sure that just like cockroaches and rats, humans can get buy with a very varied diet. In other words, the nastiest creatures on earth have survived by eating all kinds of shit.
As a reminder!

I'm with you on that, I'm just responding to misinformation and mischaracterizations of groups of people that include me.

As a reminder!

I'm with you on that, I'm just responding to misinformation and mischaracterizations of groups of people that include me.
Understood. I know how uptight you get when people criticize your absurd diet. :D

I kid, I kid.

Understood. I know how uptight you get when people criticize your absurd diet. :D

I kid, I kid.

Heh. I don't mind if people think it's absurd, I just hate being told I have a psychological complex (or scurvy or impacted colon or impending cardiovascular doom and destruction), and I'm really not looking forward to also being told I'm a bitcoin miner who listens to Jordan Peterson and hates the environment.

All I can think, reading this, is "hey, if they're dumb enough to eat meat to spite those who know it's bad, is there some way to trick them into doing something more immediately lethal, like smoking cigarettes or snorting asbestos dust?"

All I can think, reading this, is "hey, if they're dumb enough to eat meat to spite those who know it's bad, is there some way to trick them into doing something more immediately lethal, like smoking cigarettes or snorting asbestos dust?"

Raw chicken skin will make you live forever!

I did the Adkins diet for a while. Did the Ketostix and everything. It works quite well.

But, damn, I love bread and sandwiches.

I'm also a carnivore, though not a member of the right, and I have noticed this same trend. Another one, bizarrely, is that carnivores also tend to overlap greatly with people into crypto-currency... figure that one out. Either way, I suspect that the popularity of the diet with the right will grow simply because Jordan Peterson's daughter has successfully used it to cure her depression, and her father took it up as a result. If it had been Cenk Uygur instead, the situation might be different.

The irony is that there are good reasons to believe that meat consumption can be more environmentally beneficial than vegetable consumption, under the right circumstances. But my guess is that conservative carnivores are less interested in the environmental impact and more about riling up vegans. A difference in ethical opinion is easier to flaunt than an assertion based on refutable facts.

Fascinating. Just one more abstracted datapoint here but there is one person in my office who is really into crypto-currencies and he just happens to be revolted by vegetables too. He is the only person in my office of 15 people with EITHER of those qualities. Weird!

A life without pumpkin pie......

... would be empty. :(

This was not lethal, but it certainly was immediately damaging. Both for his body and freedom.
Report: Las Vegas professor shot himself in arm to protest Trump
Las Vegas Review-Journal said:
Mark J. Bird, 69, was charged last month with discharging a gun within a prohibited structure, carrying a concealed weapon without a permit and possessing a dangerous weapon on school property, court records show. He was found bleeding from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his arm about 8:15 a.m. on Aug. 28 outside a bathroom in the Charleston campus K building.
[..]
One college employee told police that he held Bird’s hand to calm him down as others tried to stop the bleeding. While waiting for authorities to arrive, Bird said he had shot himself in protest of President Donald Trump, police noted in their report. The report did not elaborate.
That's some Underpants Gnome logic:
Phase 1. Shoot self in arm
Phase 2. ???????
Phase 3. Protest Trump! Also profit.

Though the $100 bill for the janitor who had to clean up his blood was a nice touch.

I could get alongside the idea of eating nothing but meat. But then I found out that this diet also entails giving up beer. Fuck that noise.

For a while that was my biggest struggle. Now after 8 months, I occasionally cheat and allow myself a beer. But it tastes like sugar water now, so I usually don't finish the can. A lot of what I thought I couldn't live without turned out to be like that. Maybe a chemical thing, maybe a social thing, but after a while it just didn't appeal to me anymore.

But as for the topic of the OP, I note that there are not many prominent progressives or otherwise left-leaning figures who eat in this way and are vocal about it. I think it may have something to do with the disdain many on the left have for the meat industry, in its impact on the environment and on the animals it kills. I share a lot of those concerns, believe it or not, but since narrowing my diet to some pretty specific cuts of meat from just one or two farms, I'm making much less of a carbon footprint and doing much less harm to fewer animals than I did when I ate a mixed diet. It turns out that when you avoid meat with any plant-based additives or coatings, you naturally end up avoiding most factory-farmed meat. This isn't as widely understood as I think it should be, and could account for a knee-jerk dismissal of the meat-only diet as both cruel and environmentally destructive.

This was not lethal, but it certainly was immediately damaging. Both for his body and freedom.
Report: Las Vegas professor shot himself in arm to protest Trump
That's some Underpants Gnome logic:
Phase 1. Shoot self in arm
Phase 2. ???????
Phase 3. Protest Trump! Also pr

Have been doing a lot of thinking about this case of late.

I know that CSN has been really up in arms over how to apply Second Amendment rights to the campus experience; perhaps his intended point was more to do with the ease of causing a violent incident on campus. If he can walk onto campus and shoot himself, a mere year after the downtown Las Vegas shooting that took so many lives of his students among others, obviously he could have done the same to others. Indeed, I cannot help but wonder whether that bullet was originally intended for a campus administrator, before he got cold feet and lodged it in his arm instead. Too nervous to commit murder but, with gun drawn, too far in already to just back out. Locked in a bathroom, knowing that witnesses saw him go in, maybe his thoughts took an irrational and desperate turn.

The weirdest thing about this to me is that Mark Bird is not just some nameless adjunct frustrated with the "system" - he has been teaching and researching for years. He has testified before Congress previously, and is the author of an undergraduate textbook on soc theory which, if not popular exactly, certainly sold a fair number of copies. Not who you expect to go on a rando shooting rampage, per se?

On the other hand, it's not unusual for emeritus professors to go a little nuts, having given up the only thing in their life with purpose. Can't tell you how many professors I have known who died (usually of some wasting disease or another mind you, not political self-immolation) within a year or two of having retired.

Back
Top Bottom