• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

SpaceX Heavy test a success

Possiby apocryphal:

“In the 1770s, when he was in Paris, Benjamin Franklin witnessed the flight of one of the first hot-air balloons. As the balloon soared into the air, someone asked Franklin: “What good is it?” Franklin responded: “What good is a new-born baby?”

Possiby apocryphal:

“In the 1770s, when he was in Paris, Benjamin Franklin witnessed the flight of one of the first hot-air balloons. As the balloon soared into the air, someone asked Franklin: “What good is it?” Franklin responded: “What good is a new-born baby?”
The thing is, he followed that up by taking a large bite out of a newborn.

Falcon Heavy: Watch SpaceX Launch Powerful New Rocket : The Two-Way : NPR
SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch - YouTube

A Falcon Heavy rocket successfully sent a car into an interplanetary orbit, with its farthest distance being around Mars's orbit.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the SpaceX Heavy "astronaut" in the car was this intro scene from the 1981 movie "Heavy Metal" about 30 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MyfInT1y0c

Same here. Who knew in 1981 we'd literally put a car in orbit.

link

Everything seemed to work. The launch went well. The boosters and rockets came back and landed. And a car is apparently going into orbit around the sun. Really incredible stuff.

Can't help picturing the post-apocalypse... a few thousand years later, humans become space-farers again, and come across Elon's car. Think that might raise some controversy?

Russell's Roadster?

I'm using that... instead of a teapot orbiting Jupiter, I will sarcastically speak of an automobile orbiting the sun... see who gets it.

Edited to add... oh wait.. the teapot IS orbiting the sun (between Earth and Mars)... no idea where I got Jupiter from.

And if they put a teapot in the trunk of that car, that would have been awesome.

Last edited:
BTW, here's some screen shots I took to use as my desktop wallpaper.

View attachment 14420

Hey, I can see my house from here!

Not from that direction.

I am pretty sure that the landmass immediately above starman's head is Australia. My house is just where the broken band of cloud crosses at about the middle of the east coast. If you get a magnifying glass, you can see my dogs in the backyard.

OTOH, When I tilt my head, that could be west Africa, if the planet is oriented with north to the right and south to the left. It's a big chunk of desert, for sure.

My brother just said the same thing two minutes ago when I showed him the live feed.

BTW, here's some screen shots I took to use as my desktop wallpaper.

View attachment 14420

Looks like the drivers side front fender got bashed somehow. Maybe there's another car in orbit and we've already had our first car collision in space?!

no, that is just the reflection of the Earth's cloud layer. It's not crumpled, it is just an illusion from the reflection. Think clouds and look again..
Now someone explain to me how the very front of the fender received a reflection from the light coming off of the Earth, located BEHIND the car. Double reflection? Something in front of the car (that the camera is mounted to) bouncing it back? Or, is the Earth so big, and slightly above the car, that the reflected light makes it across the front? I'm going with that, I think. Others may choose to go full conspiracy on this one, though. As if the fake moon landing wasn't enough!

Falcon Heavy: Watch SpaceX Launch Powerful New Rocket : The Two-Way : NPR
SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch - YouTube

A Falcon Heavy rocket successfully sent a car into an interplanetary orbit, with its farthest distance being around Mars's orbit.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the SpaceX Heavy "astronaut" in the car was this intro scene from the 1981 movie "Heavy Metal" about 30 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MyfInT1y0c

Same here. Who knew in 1981 we'd literally put a car in orbit.

Heavy Metal is the first thing that came to my mind too... I had a hard time placing "Don't Panic" until I remembered Hitchhiker's Guide. .and then got disappointed. Part of my confusion was implanted by CNN when they mentioned this and said something about a "nostalgic song"... Heavy Metal has an incredible soundtrack, but I was struggling to remember the song that played during that scene.

Not from that direction.

I am pretty sure that the landmass immediately above starman's head is Australia. My house is just where the broken band of cloud crosses at about the middle of the east coast. If you get a magnifying glass, you can see my dogs in the backyard.

OTOH, When I tilt my head, that could be west Africa, if the planet is oriented with north to the right and south to the left. It's a big chunk of desert, for sure.

Cute dogs!

Back
Top Bottom