• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

State politicians flee Texas to derail legislation on voting restrictions, abortion access

Metaphor

Banned
Banned
This strikes me as a subversion of democracy and a dereliction of these Democrats duties as legislators and representatives.

State politicians flee Texas to derail legislation on voting restrictions, abortion access - ABC News

Dozens of Democratic politicians have left Texas as part of an orchestrated move to derail Republican efforts to pass new voting restrictions and other measures.

Speaking from an airplane headed to Washington, DC, on Monday afternoon local time, Texas state Representative Alex Dominguez told Reuters that "nearly everyone" in the House of Representatives' 67-member Democratic caucus had fled the state.

The exodus is intended to deny the legislature the quorum needed to approve any of the measures on Republican Governor Greg Abbott's special-session agenda, including bills restricting abortion access and blocking transgender students from competing in athletics events that correspond with their gender identity.
Under Texas's constitution, represenatives who remain in the state can be arrested and forced to attend the capitol to make up a quorum.

"If they keep wanting to throw oppressive bills, then we'll keep fighting them, in whatever way we have to," Mr Dominguez said.
Democratic representatives staged a similar walkout on May 30 to boycott a vote on an earlier version of the voting legislation just before the legislature's regular session ended, prompting Mr Abbott to call the special session.
Texas Republicans including the governor and Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan condemned the strategy.
"The Democrats must put aside partisan political games and get back to the job they were elected to do," Mr Abbott said.

Texas is one of a number of Republican-led states pushing new voting restrictions in the name of enhancing election security, citing former president Donald Trump's false claims that his November election defeat was the result of widespread fraud.
On Sunday, House and Senate committees in the Texas legislature passed new versions of the voting measures, which would prohibit drive-through and 24-hour voting locations, add new identification requirements to mail-in voting and empower partisan poll watchers.
Votes in the full chambers were expected this week. Instead, Democrats bolted.
Mr Dominguez said Democratic representatives would continue working on voting rights legislation and serving their constituents from afar, although he would not discuss their specific plans.
Another Democratic state representative, James Talarico, tweeted a photo of himself alongside dozens of fellow departing legislators.
"We're flying to DC to demand Congress pass the For The People Act and save our democracy," Mr Talarico said in the tweet.
President Joe Biden's administration has pledged to continue pushing Congress to pass legislation that protects the right to vote.
But Senate Republicans have not backed the legislation, likely dooming it.
Mr Biden will discuss steps the administration plans to take to shore up voting rights in a speech on Tuesday, the White House said.

Haven't they tried that gambit before?

Is there something in Texas law that makes that tactic feasible in Texas in particular?

Haven't they tried that gambit before?

Is there something in Texas law that makes that tactic feasible in Texas in particular?

The agencies that are authorized to compel attendance by elected representatives during sessions have no jurisdiction outside the State. Hence the flight.
There are enough elected Democrats to prevent the quorum required to pass any legislation (2/3 of all need to be present).
The difference is that the first time they broke the quorum requirement there were only two hours left on the clock before the session expired. This time the 'pugs have almost a month to try to force it through.
If the Dems can hang it up that long it will only be through dogged determination.

This strikes me as a subversion of democracy and a dereliction of these Democrats duties as legislators and representatives.

The democratic solution is to not re-elect these representatives in the next election.

How did you feel about the republicans doing the same thing?

I was not aware that any party had ever done this before. It's a grubby, lowdown, anti-democracy tactic and anyone who engages in it ought to be ashamed. At a minimum, the pay of every politician who is not attending their work should be docked for each day they do this. How utterly vile.

Turnabout is fair play vis a vis Oregon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Oregon_Senate_Republican_walkouts

Celebration Parallax?

Surely there will be a record of posters here and all across the net of their responses to that.

https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?20949-Oregon-Republicans-Run-Away&highlight=oregon+senate

I look forward to the Vox article with the headline. I've made a simple substitution based on the title of their previous article:

Texas Democrats walk out and subvert democracy. Again. - Vox

The democratic solution is to not re-elect these representatives in the next election.

Well yes - the electorate has that chance - but in the meantime asking elected legislators to do their jobs and attend their workplace does not seem unreasonable.

Well yes - the electorate has that chance - but in the meantime asking elected legislators to do their jobs and attend their workplace does not seem unreasonable.

The legislation that the Texas GOP is attempting to pass would actually compromise the ability of the electorate to determine their legislators in free and open elections.

So your statement is a slick bit of irony there.....

He felt <crickets> about it I reckon.

I contend that no person worth interacting with would either reverse their position on this nor have remained silent when their side did it but then impugn the other. No honest or reasonable person would take either of those positions.

I can say that this is cowardly.

They should instead beat down and eject the traitors to the republic who would sell out our democracy to minority rule.

Screw all pretense at civility to those who would play at such bad faith as to restrict the right of people to vote. This is what our founders declared revolution against.

You're expecting democracy in Texas, Metaphor? Good luck - the best you could hope for is electoral fuckery. Texas has been broken for some time. Fuck, even one of its senators proudly tweets how gerrymandered the state is. What the Democrats did is an issue. It is also part of a much bigger problem. I can't even begin to imagine how to unravel that shitshow of a state.

Having said that, Democrats shouldn't stoop to the same shitty tactics Republicans used. For starters, Republicans are simply much much better at it and it also evaporates any credibility they have.

You're expecting democracy in Texas? Good luck - the best you could hope for is electoral fuckery. Texas has been broken for some time. Fuck, even one of its senators proudly tweets how gerrymandered the state is. What the Democrats did is an issue. It is also part of a much bigger problem. I can't even begin to imagine how to unravel that shitshow of a state.

Having said that, Democrats shouldn't stoop to the same shitty tactics Republicans used. For starters, Republicans are simply much much better at it and it also evaporates any credibility they have.

Yeah, imagine that. A thread where we can clearly see "both sides". One side of people trying to snidely say "gotcha!" While the other side says "what is there to get, we don't like this either!"

Granted we have different ideas of what might have constitutes rightful action, methinks.

Of course the OP could have come at it from a different direction: cautionary instead of smearing.

But that not-happened.

The legislation that the Texas GOP is attempting to pass would actually compromise the ability of the electorate to determine their legislators in free and open elections.

So your statement is a slick bit of irony there.....

"We have to subvert democracy to save it!"

I might have known you'd defend the deplorables on this one.

You're expecting democracy in Texas, Metaphor? Good luck - the best you could hope for is electoral fuckery. Texas has been broken for some time. Fuck, even one of its senators proudly tweets how gerrymandered the state is. What the Democrats did is an issue. It is also part of a much bigger problem. I can't even begin to imagine how to unravel that shitshow of a state.

I expect legislators to do their jobs and not to openly subvert democracy.

Insurrectionist. Call them insurrectionists.

If someone wants to be upfront that this is for a moral cause and that the Republicans in Oregon were not, then do that.

So you are against voter restrictions and for full investigation of Jan 6 insurrection?

Back
Top Bottom