• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

State politicians flee Texas to derail legislation on voting restrictions, abortion access

Could this be considered a form of a filibuster?

Yep. I'm honestly surprised it worked.

I'm honestly (not) surprised that everyone in this thread who wanted to end the filibuster didn't condemn this walkout.

You mean that, as long as the filibuster was existing and being used to block the will of the American people you are surprised that people said, “if necessary we will use it (quorum bustinng equivalent to filibuster) to promote the will of the people, for as long as it is there and doing harm, we’ll have to use it to do good.

I get the ideal to say “principles!” But not if it means bringing an eyelash curler to a gun fight.

These Texas GOPers are trying to harm civl rights. Blocking their work is about much more than a stand on the filibuster.

Could this be considered a form of a filibuster?

Yep. I'm honestly surprised it worked.

I'm honestly (not) surprised that everyone in this thread who wanted to end the filibuster didn't condemn this walkout.
Did you read about Abraham Lincoln? What did you think of that?

The word "Democrat" has three silent k's.
:confused: Do we really need this? If this is an inane reference to the Ku Klux Klan, do you think the Ds are the party where racists congregate today?

:confused: Do we really need this? If this is an inane reference to the Ku Klux Klan, do you think the Ds are the party where racists congregate today?

I asked myself that when he first put it up. It contradicts obvious reality, like insisting on a flat earth, or an historical Noah’s menagerie. Perhaps its inent is to be deceptive, like saying that the KKK was originally the racist manifestation of 1880s southern democrats and trying to pretend they didn’t all leave the Democratic party when it supported the civil rights legislation and therefore trying to paint today’s Democrats with some bad image currently, even though it’s an obvious lie. I haven’t yet figured out whether he is lying to himself or trying to lie to us. But yes, it’s fundamentally stupid - not sure why Jason wants people to think that’s his intellectual level every time he posts - but here we are.

I asked myself that when he first put it up. It contradicts obvious reality, like insisting on a flat earth, or an historical Noah’s menagerie. Perhaps its inent is to be deceptive, like saying that the KKK was originally the racist manifestation of 1880s southern democrats and trying to pretend they didn’t all leave the Democratic party when it supported the civil rights legislation and therefore trying to paint today’s Democrats with some bad image currently, even though it’s an obvious lie. I haven’t yet figured out whether he is lying to himself or trying to lie to us. But yes, it’s fundamentally stupid - not sure why Jason wants people to think that’s his intellectual level every time he posts - but here we are.

To be fair, to espouse Libertarianism you have to believe in some pretty nutty things.

Is there a deadline, before which the Texas election law changes would have to be passed for them to take effect for the 2022 election?

Do you support the Texas Dem legislators being arrested for their actions?

So I'm surprised Jason seems to be blind to the fact that Jason is, again, saying things that if he wishes to claim competence and to have read the thread, are lies.

I support ending the filibuster.

I do offer condemnation of the walkout.

I offer much greater condemnation against the republicans who have abdicated their constitutional responsibility to uphold democracy, though this may be outside the scope of relevance.

So Jason, which is it? Are you lying or are you just not reading the thread?

So Lindsay Graham has announced he will hinder the U.S. Senate exactly as the Dem legislators in Texas did: trying to deny the Senate a quorum.
(Never mind whether this is hypocrisy. The R's motto is that if anyone they dislike ever does anything they deem wrong, that gives the Rs the right to use that same mischief in perpetuity.)

It seems that a quorum call is one case where the Vice Pres. does NOT break a tie: quorum requires 51 Senators.

BUT, assuming all 50 D Senators play along, they should be OK. When a R Senator rises to suggest the absence of a quorum, just lock the exit doors and wait for all 50 D's to arrive. The R who asked for a quorum call will be counted also. Right?

So Lindsay Graham has announced he will hinder the U.S. Senate exactly as the Dem legislators in Texas did: trying to deny the Senate a quorum.
(Never mind whether this is hypocrisy. The R's motto is that if anyone they dislike ever does anything they deem wrong, that gives the Rs the right to use that same mischief in perpetuity.)

It seems that a quorum call is one case where the Vice Pres. does NOT break a tie: quorum requires 51 Senators.

BUT, assuming all 50 D Senators play along, they should be OK. When a R Senator rises to suggest the absence of a quorum, just lock the exit doors and wait for all 50 D's to arrive. The R who asked for a quorum call will be counted also. Right?

Doesn't this mean the Dems can do some rules changing while the republicans are out then?

Is there a deadline, before which the Texas election law changes would have to be passed for them to take effect for the 2022 election?

That's not how Trumputinazis work. If they want armed thugs gooning over your shoulder when you vote, there will be armed thugs gooning over your shoulder while you vote, and they'll let you know you better vote for the "right" candidate. If Dem snowflakes don't like that, they can take it to the kangaroo trump-appointed courts after the election has been declared a clean sweep for trumputinazi candidates.

Indeed. A quarum is assumed unless someone calls for a count. No Dem will call for a count. Therefore an R must be there to play this trick, and they will then be counted.

Indeed. A quarum is assumed unless someone calls for a count. No Dem will call for a count. Therefore an R must be there to play this trick, and they will then be counted.

Could Schumer block a request for a quorum count?

This strikes me as a subversion of democracy and a dereliction of these Democrats duties as legislators and representatives.

State politicians flee Texas to derail legislation on voting restrictions, abortion access - ABC News

Dozens of Democratic politicians have left Texas as part of an orchestrated move to derail Republican efforts to pass new voting restrictions and other measures.

Speaking from an airplane headed to Washington, DC, on Monday afternoon local time, Texas state Representative Alex Dominguez told Reuters that "nearly everyone" in the House of Representatives' 67-member Democratic caucus had fled the state.

The exodus is intended to deny the legislature the quorum needed to approve any of the measures on Republican Governor Greg Abbott's special-session agenda, including bills restricting abortion access and blocking transgender students from competing in athletics events that correspond with their gender identity.
Under Texas's constitution, represenatives who remain in the state can be arrested and forced to attend the capitol to make up a quorum.

"If they keep wanting to throw oppressive bills, then we'll keep fighting them, in whatever way we have to," Mr Dominguez said.
Democratic representatives staged a similar walkout on May 30 to boycott a vote on an earlier version of the voting legislation just before the legislature's regular session ended, prompting Mr Abbott to call the special session.
Texas Republicans including the governor and Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan condemned the strategy.
"The Democrats must put aside partisan political games and get back to the job they were elected to do," Mr Abbott said.

Texas is one of a number of Republican-led states pushing new voting restrictions in the name of enhancing election security, citing former president Donald Trump's false claims that his November election defeat was the result of widespread fraud.
On Sunday, House and Senate committees in the Texas legislature passed new versions of the voting measures, which would prohibit drive-through and 24-hour voting locations, add new identification requirements to mail-in voting and empower partisan poll watchers.
Votes in the full chambers were expected this week. Instead, Democrats bolted.
Mr Dominguez said Democratic representatives would continue working on voting rights legislation and serving their constituents from afar, although he would not discuss their specific plans.
Another Democratic state representative, James Talarico, tweeted a photo of himself alongside dozens of fellow departing legislators.
"We're flying to DC to demand Congress pass the For The People Act and save our democracy," Mr Talarico said in the tweet.
President Joe Biden's administration has pledged to continue pushing Congress to pass legislation that protects the right to vote.
But Senate Republicans have not backed the legislation, likely dooming it.
Mr Biden will discuss steps the administration plans to take to shore up voting rights in a speech on Tuesday, the White House said.

If it sounds that way to you, then I suppose you support the elimination of the filibuster, right? "a subversion of the democratic process" by which the minority usurps the majority power through protest.

This strikes me as a subversion of democracy and a dereliction of these Democrats duties as legislators and representatives.

State politicians flee Texas to derail legislation on voting restrictions, abortion access - ABC News

Dozens of Democratic politicians have left Texas as part of an orchestrated move to derail Republican efforts to pass new voting restrictions and other measures.

Speaking from an airplane headed to Washington, DC, on Monday afternoon local time, Texas state Representative Alex Dominguez told Reuters that "nearly everyone" in the House of Representatives' 67-member Democratic caucus had fled the state.

The exodus is intended to deny the legislature the quorum needed to approve any of the measures on Republican Governor Greg Abbott's special-session agenda, including bills restricting abortion access and blocking transgender students from competing in athletics events that correspond with their gender identity.
Under Texas's constitution, represenatives who remain in the state can be arrested and forced to attend the capitol to make up a quorum.

"If they keep wanting to throw oppressive bills, then we'll keep fighting them, in whatever way we have to," Mr Dominguez said.
Democratic representatives staged a similar walkout on May 30 to boycott a vote on an earlier version of the voting legislation just before the legislature's regular session ended, prompting Mr Abbott to call the special session.
Texas Republicans including the governor and Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan condemned the strategy.
"The Democrats must put aside partisan political games and get back to the job they were elected to do," Mr Abbott said.

Texas is one of a number of Republican-led states pushing new voting restrictions in the name of enhancing election security, citing former president Donald Trump's false claims that his November election defeat was the result of widespread fraud.
On Sunday, House and Senate committees in the Texas legislature passed new versions of the voting measures, which would prohibit drive-through and 24-hour voting locations, add new identification requirements to mail-in voting and empower partisan poll watchers.
Votes in the full chambers were expected this week. Instead, Democrats bolted.
Mr Dominguez said Democratic representatives would continue working on voting rights legislation and serving their constituents from afar, although he would not discuss their specific plans.
Another Democratic state representative, James Talarico, tweeted a photo of himself alongside dozens of fellow departing legislators.
"We're flying to DC to demand Congress pass the For The People Act and save our democracy," Mr Talarico said in the tweet.
President Joe Biden's administration has pledged to continue pushing Congress to pass legislation that protects the right to vote.
But Senate Republicans have not backed the legislation, likely dooming it.
Mr Biden will discuss steps the administration plans to take to shore up voting rights in a speech on Tuesday, the White House said.

If it sounds that way to you, then I suppose you support the elimination of the filibuster, right? "a subversion of the democratic process" by which the minority usurps the majority power through protest.

That’s a non-sequitur. The filibuster is an agreed upon procedural mechanism addressed to specific legislation. Absconding in the night because things aren’t going your way, and thus stopping all legislation, is certainly undemocratic and petty. Or, should the GOP minority in other state houses take this as a cue to do the same with your approval?

That’s a non-sequitur. The filibuster is an agreed upon procedural mechanism addressed to specific legislation. Absconding in the night because things aren’t going your way, and thus stopping all legislation, is certainly undemocratic and petty. Or, should the GOP minority in other state houses take this as a cue to do the same with your approval?

This is basically a form of filibuster. Either blocking the vote acceptable or it's not acceptable, whether it's done by talking or not being there doesn't really change the picture.

This is basically a form of filibuster. Either blocking the vote acceptable or it's not acceptable, whether it's done by talking or not being there doesn't really change the picture.

The filibuster is an accepted and agreed procedure. It’s a procedure the Senate made itself; used by both major parties when in the minority. Running away like a spoiled brat is not.

The filibuster is an accepted and agreed procedure. It’s a procedure the Senate made itself; used by both major parties when in the minority. [Running away like a spoiled brat is not.

Sure it is.

The filibuster is an accepted and agreed procedure. It’s a procedure the Senate made itself; used by both major parties when in the minority. [Running away like a spoiled brat is not.

Sure it is.

Again. Not the same. The Senate literally has a rule governing use of the filibuster.

Back
Top Bottom