• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

States sending police, national guard to Texas' border

Jason Harvestdancer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Wiccan
It started with the governor of Texas declaring the border to be a Disaster Area. The Republicans said he was doing the right thing, the Democrats said he was just trying to embarrass Biden. But then the Governor of Florida pledged state police, and the Governor of South Dakota pledged National Guard troops.

This is states assisting other states in defiance of the federal government. That is the point of this post, that the division is worsening, that states are sending troops to other states out of defiance of Federal policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It started with the governor of Texas declaring the border to be a Disaster Area. The Republicans said he was doing the right thing, the Democrats said he was just trying to embarrass Biden. But then the Governor of Florida pledged state police, and the Governor of South Dakota pledged National Guard troops.

This is states assisting other states in defiance of the federal government. That is the point of this post, that the division is worsening, that states are sending troops to other states out of defiance of Federal policy.

That is about as dishonest as fuck explaining how two Republican Governors are virtue signalling to another Republican Governor. Trying to "both sides" this is such a bad faith argument, it's adding to the divide you are condemning.

The issue polls well for Republicans, so why not?
You’ve basically summarized the GOP platform.

It's a repeat of the Chinese Exclusion Acts.

"Wow...thanks for helping us out with that thing we wanted to pay you to build. Now fuck you and get out of our country, you ungrateful immigrants. How dare you think we'd let you stay."

Then, "wow...isn't this awesome how we built this?"

The issue polls well for Republicans, so why not?
You’ve basically summarized the GOP platform.

It's a repeat of the Chinese Exclusion Acts.

"Wow...thanks for helping us out with that thing we wanted to pay you to build. Now fuck you and get out of our country, you ungrateful immigrants. How dare you think we'd let you stay."

Then, "wow...isn't this awesome how we built this?"
You’ve basically summarized the Trump business model. Except Trump weasels out of the paying part.

Yeah, we'll gloss over the fact that the Governors of South Dakota and Florida are far right-wing Trumpers.

And things are so awful in Texas at the border that Governor Noem okayed the sending of fifty (50), wait... that is up to 50... National Guard troops (using Republican donor money), which is a whopping commitment of up to 1.6% of the 3100 troop force available!

Governor DeSantis also committed fifty (50) officers to support Texas. With that level of support, they can man each one of them for every 12 miles of border and finally end the chaos that has ravaged the state of Texas.

I'm surprised a governor of a state has the authority to send the national guard ofvhisxstate into BBC another state without federal approval.

I'm surprised a governor of a state has the authority to send the national guard ofvhisxstate into BBC another state without federal approval.
They are both sending up to 50, so I do wonder if there are lawful limits here. Also, South Dakota is using Republican donor money to do it, which is interesting.

So now the 50 lives of those national guardsmen get upended for a political stunt. I wonder if Jason took that part into account.

It's a political stunt, nothing more. Wasting Republican money seems like a good thing.

They are both sending up to 50, so I do wonder if there are lawful limits here. Also, South Dakota is using Republican donor money to do it, which is interesting.

Republicans have been quietly advocating privately funded government for some time. They're just not being as quiet about it now, in the Trump administration.
Tom

Goddamn. The Republicans are crazy as craphouse rats. I hope at least that the National Guard can be fitted with Viking horns, so they get into the spirit of today's conservatives. And why aren't the Cyber Ninjas being sent to the border? They're Ninjas, aren't they? If you live in South Dakota and you're doing guard duty....for your state.... you're okay with being trucked 1,000 miles south so that this hack can get her 15 minutes with Tucker? Trump's dumb smirking puss is all over this.

Is it true that some rich person is funding some of the national guards being sent to the border? I didn't know I can turn the national guard into my private military, where do I submit payment? I'm just a GoFundMe page away from hiring the national guard to police our police.

Crime in Florida must be way down for there to be enough slack to send some of the state patrol to Texas.

It's a political stunt, nothing more. Wasting Republican money seems like a good thing.

Turning the National Guard into 21st century Pinkertons is on brand for republicans. Not sure it's a good thing.

Except they're not actually doing anything. If they were actually being used to enforce laws it would be a problem.

Listening to Democracy Now this morning, documents have been obtained that show the troops are also planned to be used against pipeline protestors.

Back
Top Bottom