• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Stephen Hawking dumped into Hell

Hmm, karma isn't so much a referendum on the whole person as "good" or "bad", as the consequence of the sum of their actions. It seems to me that the merit of his many contributions to human knowledge ought to speak well for him, but I know very little about his private life and the other sorts of choices he may have made relative to others. It also seems to me that many are tempted to think they know public figures as people simply because they admire or detest their most well known public accomplishments. Surely, the way in which we are known by God, Shiva, or the Dharma is very different in character.

We are not known by anything.

If there were a god the last thing they would care about are a bunch of apes.

You seem to know a lot about God.
What would God care about more so than an ape named Stephen Hawking?

You seem to know a lot about God.
What would God care about more so than an ape named Stephen Hawking?

I know humans.

And their endless delusions about some gods enthralled with a bunch of apes.

I don't know why you think apes aren't interesting, primates are actually pretty damn cool.

I don't know why you think apes aren't interesting, primates are actually pretty damn cool.

They are very interesting to other apes.

That's why humans make their gods in a human image.

I find a lot of things interesting that aren't apes, also... :confused:

Because you can learn something. It satisfies curiosity.

What can a god learn? What could a god be curious about?

What story from an ape would captivate an audience of gods? They know more about it already than the ape.

Yes, I think I do already know.
But untermensche contradicted God.
And I'm interested to understand if we 'apes' are the last thing God would care about, what would otherwise hypothetically occupy His attention.

Nobody contradicted a god. That's impossible. It's insane to even think so.

I may have contradicted something some humans wrote a long time ago.

What story from an ape would captivate an audience of gods? They know more about it already than the ape.

Well, that sounds like an assumption. You're also, ironically given the point you're trying to make, anthropomorphizing the hell out of God's thought processes.

If God is so "bored" with the universe, as you claim, why make one?

Rama, I agree with your point- but it might help to consider how the loudmouth idiots who talk about Hawking being damned in Hell are damaging their own cause.

Here was a man of undisputed brilliance, whose work plainly expanded our human understanding of the universe. Here was a man who not only bore his terrible disability stoically, but also took part in society in admirable and entertaining ways.

Think of the cognitive dissonance being generated by the believers who crow about this good and noble man being damned purely for his disbelief. They make their own faiths seem evil thereby, don't they? Despite the mask of goodness and godliness they wear, the evil face beneath that mask becomes more obvious to all with eyes to see and ears to hear.

Well, that sounds like an assumption. You're also, ironically given the point you're trying to make, anthropomorphizing the hell out of God's thought processes.

All gods are anthopomorhic creations.

No other gods exist.

This is an easy assumption to disprove.

All gods are anthopomorhic creations.

No other gods exist.

This is an easy assumption to disprove.

If I anthropomorphize my cat to a certain extent - calling her by a name, talking to her in English, assuming that she has wants and needs, worrying about her feelings - does this imply that I have forgotten she is, fundamentally, still a cat? Humans default to anthropomorphization of anything with which we are in a social relationship, even inanimate objects ("screw this computer!") or purely invented abstractions ("US" talked to "China" and things got heated) but that doesn't mean we are unaware that the objects of our conversations are different from us. God is, even in the most human-like portrayals of God, not identical to us in composition or mentality.

God is nothing but a figment of the human imagination.

It is not a real concept. There is no real referent.

God is nothing but a figment of the human imagination.

It is not a real concept. There is no real referent.

Okay :)

But you can't have no cake and eat it too. If "god" is a problem because he doesn't exist, that's a problem regardless of how he is represented. Why argue about whether or not a given portrayal makes sense, if it wouldn't make sense to you anyway because of your religious beliefs? If he is entirely imaginary, why would it be any more or less likely to have and imaginary character who is fond of monkeys as opposed to one who is not? If it's fiction, the only limitation is the imagination of the writer.

What I object to is any ape trying to tell me about gods.

Apes have no real knowledge of any gods.

Nobody contradicted a god. That's impossible. It's insane to even think so.

I may have contradicted something some humans wrote a long time ago.

You spoke as if you had some insight into what God would or would not care about.
Based on your claim, I'm STILL interested to understand if we 'apes' are the last thing God would care about, what would otherwise hypothetically occupy His attention.

If you prefer not to elaborate that's your prerogative.

Back
Top Bottom