• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Stephon Clark killed by Sacramento police - he was in his own family's backyard

Have they released helicopter footage?

Yes, but the videos I have found all edit the heli footage with body cam footage and commentary. Like this one.

What is clear though is:
- he wasn't hanging out in the yard playing on his iPhone. He entered the yard just seconds before police saw him, and he entered by climbing onto something and jumping over the fence.
- as soon as he saw the police, he took off running around the corner of the house and then turned back and walked toward police. That's a really stupid thing to do, especially in the dark, especially holding an object.

By the way, this is grandma's house.

Try the official videos, with more helicopter footage, and more videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/sacpd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyLdm1pzujg&index=3&list=UUxm_XB7V2hgNJwVtu6ZShRg

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR0Wtq8JGPQbAjx78D2ep85C7l3HOxpNC

It was an independent autopsy (which LP and Derec will read as “biased” and “not trustworthy”).
It was not an independent autopsy. It was commissioned by the family lawyer, Benjamin Crump. That is the very antithesis of "independent".

I was going to add a WaPo article that stated the man was shot in the back. I'll add it just to add more information.
Yes, that is the conclusion of the examiner paid by the family shyster. Not independent, even though it's often referred to as such.
Here is the chart from the autopsy.
DZjspXtX0AEIt6I.jpg

All but one entrance wounds are on the right side of the body. The neck shot, that has the exit wound as well, shows the bullet passing from right to left, not back to front. That indicates he was turned sideways and not that he was shot in the back. All the other entrance wounds could have happened from the side too.
Now let's look at the thigh shot. That's the other bullet that also has an exit wound. The positions of the entrance and exit wounds indicate that the leg was likely raised and it also indicates that the bullet went front to back, which is not consistent with Stephon being shot in the back.
So I think the family autopsy conclusions are highly questionable and I wonder what the official autopsy will show.

Stephon Clark, the unarmed 22-year-old killed by Sacramento police officers earlier this month, was shot eight times, with most of the bullets hitting him in the back, according to an independent autopsy requested by his family’s attorneys.
"Independent autopsy" and "requested by his family's attorneys" are contradictory.
Also, I wish WaPo and other outlets showed a little bit more skepticism toward claims made by family attorneys.

Bullets struck Clark in the neck, back and thigh, breaking bones and piercing his lung, said Bennet Omalu, a forensic pathologist. The bullets combined to make Clark “bleed massively,” Omalu said.
Note again, the neck would is clearly right-to-left, not back-to-front.

No wonder the cops turned off the sound of their recorders. No wonder they lied about what happened. They shot their victim in the back, and then lied about it. The sad thing is that its unlikely they will even be prosecuted.
Depends on what the actual investigation shows. Perhaps they will just be disciplined over the muting. Although it must be noted that the muting happened ~6mins after the shooting, not during or immediately after.

Clark is one of at least 269 people fatally shot by police so far this year, according to The Washington Post’s database tracking such deaths. Since The Post began to track these shootings in January 2015, the Sacramento police have fatally shot six people. Including Clark, five of the six have been black men.
And vast majority of them have been justified. Note that #BLM Sacramento routinely protests police shootings of black suspects even if clearly justified, like the guy who was shooting at police or another guy who injured both a human and a K9 officer by throwing rocks at them. This is the first case to gain national coverage though.

So, now it appears as if these cowardly police shot this unarmed man in the back. I don't understand how anyone can defend the actions of these police. Why didn't they use tasers before they decided that the young man was armed? Why did they shoot him in the back, 8 times no less? Why are some of you defending the actions of these incompetent police officers? The police in many parts of the US are totally out of control. They seem to think that the citizens are the enemy, perhaps because many of them are former military personnel, or perhaps because we have militarized our police departments. We should all be outraged! And, don't the police wear protective vests? Why are they such cowards?

Why don't we wait for the results of the actual investigation before we condemn the police. Family attorneys talk a lot of bullshit when the day is long. For example Lee Merritt in the Darius Smith case who claimed that Darius wasn't in the midst of a robbery (he was) and that he was executed after getting incapacitated (complete fabrication). Actual facts turned out to be quite different. So, yeah, I'd take this "independent" autopsy with a grain of salt. Or a whole salt mine.

Just as he said, the entrance wounds are in the back. Like the video shows, he was laying down on his stomach most of the shots.

Just as he said, the entrance wounds are in the back. Like the video shows, he was laying down on his stomach most of 12thghe shots.
Back and side. Since there are no exit wounds for most of those, location of where the bullet stops can be used to determine exact trajectory. But all of these entrance wounds are consistent with him standing sideways. Except the thigh shot that was front-to-back and thus means he was turned toward the officers for that one.
Now, whether he was still standing or not cannot be determined from these entrance wounds.

Yes, that is the conclusion of the examiner paid by the family shyster. Not independent, even though it's often referred to as such.
The independence refers to independent of the state criminal justice system. So, it is independent. Using your definition, there is no such thing as an independent autopsy, since the examiner is hired by someone.
Why don't we wait for the results of the actual investigation before we condemn the police.
Fascinating, since you are unwilling to wait for the results of the actual investigation before you condemn the victim.

See? Derail Derec at it again, galloping off into irrelevancy because he got rekt and can't admit it.
Wrong again. It is not I who is getting "rekt". For example, the claim that he was just hanging in the yard - refuted. Then that was amended that he wasn't the guy police were looking for and was merely taking a shortcut through neighbor's yards - refuted based on map that shows no possible shortcut through that yard. And so on.

Just as he said, the entrance wounds are in the back. Like the video shows, he was laying down on his stomach most of 12thghe shots.
Back and side. Since there are no exit wounds for most of those, location of where the bullet stops can be used to determine exact trajectory. But all of these entrance wounds are consistent with him standing sideways. Except the thigh shot that was front-to-back and thus means he was turned toward the officers for that one.
Now, whether he was still standing or not cannot be determined from these entrance wounds.

The entrance wounds are generally in the back not the side.

The independence refers to independent of the state criminal justice system.
That's like saying that Obama was an independent candidate for president because he was independent of the Republican party. Being not part of one side does not make one independent if they are dependent on the other side.
Now if a news organisation or another disinterested party commissioned an autopsy, that would be independent. But family's lawyer with an axe to grind and millions of dollars to con out of Sacramento taxpayers is not an disinterested party and hence his autopsy is not within the ballpark of "independent".
So, it is independent.
Nope.
Using your definition, there is no such thing as an independent autopsy, since the examiner is hired by someone.
If it was a disinterested party doing the hiring it could be called independent. Not when it is done by the lawyer for a party to the case. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that being linked with a party to a case is not independent?

Fascinating, since you are unwilling to wait for the results of the actual investigation before you condemn the victim.

Well there are things we already know for sure, like his criminal record. Why should the family be the only ones who get to paint a portrait of Stephon?

They all cluster on the right side of the body, including the clearly right-to-front neck wound (1), the arm wound (2), and two separate flank wounds (4 and 7). The back wounds (3, 5 and 6) are also reachable from a sideways attitude of the body and are thus not necessarily indicating that his back was turned to the police. In fact, together with 1, 2, 4 and 7, the wounds 3, 5 and 6 are more likely also due to being shot from the side, not back.
And don't forget number 8 which is front-to-back. How do you do that if he is not turned toward the police?

They all cluster on the right side of the body, including the clearly right-to-front neck wound (1), the arm wound (2), and two separate flank wounds (4 and 7). The back wounds (3, 5 and 6) are also reachable from a sideways attitude of the body and are thus not necessarily indicating that his back was turned to the police. In fact, together with 1, 2, 4 and 7, the wounds 3, 5 and 6 are more likely also due to being shot from the side, not back.
And don't forget number 8 which is front-to-back. How do you do that if he is not turned toward the police?

It doesn't matter for this point that they are on tbe right side of the body. In fact, in concert with them being in his back, it shows they were shooting him while he was laying on his stomach.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyLd...hgNJwVtu6ZShRg[/YOUTUBE]

This video from the helicopter, they keep saying "he's running"

He looks like he is barely walking to me. They also claim he broke a window in this video, but that doesn't appear to be there either.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYzv7kPYNo[/YOUTUBE]

First warning at 1:03. Clark continues to flee.

At 1:17 Clark appears to move towards the officers.

It was an independent autopsy (which LP and Derec will read as “biased” and “not trustworthy”).
It was not an independent autopsy. It was commissioned by the family lawyer, Benjamin Crump. That is the very antithesis of "independent".
I win! I win! *wubbzy shuffle*
What have you won exactly? I merely corrected your erroneous classification of the family autopsy as "independent".

Fast forward to about 1:20. You can see how most shots would have been in the back. The police were above him since they were standing. He was in a kind of crawl position at shot#1. Then immediately he was laying flat. All or most of the other shots would have hit him in the back, back of the head, back of legs etc. A small number could in theory enter from the side.

What this has to do with Loren's bullshit excuses, I have no idea.

ETA: watching the full video again several more times, I could have been mistaken about the first 1 or 2 shots. It seems like he could have been hit by 1 shot while standing, one while hunched over in a crawl position, and then 6 more times while laying on his stomach. The main point of vast majority of shots entering from the back still being valid and consistent with autopsy.

Ok, you're looking at human reaction time there. The reality is that people will tend to fire a few additional shots once the target goes down. It takes far less brain power to fire another shot than it takes to assess that the threat is over, cease fire.

Fast forward to about 1:20. You can see how most shots would have been in the back. The police were above him since they were standing. He was in a kind of crawl position at shot#1. Then immediately he was laying flat. All or most of the other shots would have hit him in the back, back of the head, back of legs etc. A small number could in theory enter from the side.

ETA: watching the full video again several more times, I could have been mistaken about the first 1 or 2 shots. It seems like he could have been hit by 1 shot while standing, one while hunched over in a crawl position, and then 6 more times while laying on his stomach. The main point of vast majority of shots entering from the back still being valid and consistent with autopsy.

Ok, you're looking at human reaction time there. The reality is that people will tend to fire a few additional shots once the target goes down. It takes far less brain power to fire another shot than it takes to assess that the threat is over, cease fire.

You are thinking about normal people, not trained police but anyway I accept your tacit concession that the shots were in the back.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyLd...hgNJwVtu6ZShRg[/YOUTUBE]

This video from the helicopter, they keep saying "he's running"

He looks like he is barely walking to me. They also claim he broke a window in this video, but that doesn't appear to be there either.

Broken by a bad cut and paste.

- - - Updated - - -

You are thinking about normal people, not trained police but anyway I accept your tacit concession that the shots were in the back.

I'm talking about humans, period. Being trained police doesn't change the issue.

Actually, it took a lot longer than that. The video shows that the police officers considered him a threat well after they had fired all of the shots. They could see he was on the ground, but appear to be uncertain as to whether he was incapacitated or dead, or pretending to be so. In fact, one of them reloaded after firing all of the shorts, while the other officer covered him. Furthermore, when another officer arrived, she told him they couldn't help until they knew he did not have a weapon. They were still thinking that he might be pretending.

Back
Top Bottom