• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Strange religious sites

ideologyhunter

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
I googled some Bible gravesites today. I found out that Adam and Eve are buried in Sri Lanka, but also near Hebron, Israel, at the Cave of the Patriarchs (which is also where Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebecca, and Leah are buried.) And Eve is also buried in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia. Which involves a lot of moving around, because I've been to Adam-ondi-Ahman, which is in Daviess County, Missouri, and was Adam and Eve's new home after they got kicked out of the Garden. Those two got around.
On various travels I've stopped in at inspiring religious sites, grottoes, miracle event locations, etc. Among the most moving:
1- Soybean Jesus -- This was a Jesus image spotted in 1986 on the side of a soy bean oil tank outside of Fostoria, Ohio. People used to park their cars about dusk to look at the image, which showed up best with factory security lights shining on it. I've heard that the tank has been painted over, and that Jesus is gone.
2 - Our Lady of the Knobs -- convent in Floyd's Knobs, Indiana. I went there strictly for the name.
3- Christ of the Ozarks -- huge Jesus statue that hovers above Eureka Springs, Arkansas. (The town is beautiful, and worth the drive.) Strange looking Jesus, sort of like a really cheap transformer toy that has no flexible pose. Also bosomy for some reason. Financed by the late racist reactionary Gerald L.K. Smith -- he's buried at the base of the statue alongside his wife Elna.
4- Sacred Grove, in Palmyra, NY -- site of Joseph Smith's First Vision, where he met with angels or maybe with God or maybe with God + Jesus.
5 - Santa Claus, Indiana -- has really big cement statue of SC (rivalled by the Jolly Green Giant statue in Blue Earth, MN, which I also visited, and which has better artistry.) There was a second, defunct Santa statue lying on its side in the woods, so maybe an impostor Santa killed the real one.
6- Downtown movie theater, Ferriday, LA -- supposedly Jimmy Swaggart found God in front of the theater and went on to devote his life to -- well, that's another story.
7 - Blues Crossroads, Clarksdale, MS -- supposedly where Robert Johnson traded his soul to Satan in exchange for his musical ability, although, to be fair, when he sang about the crossroads, the lyric goes, "I went to the crossroads, fell down on my knees/Asked the Lord above have mercy now, save poor Bob, if you please."

Last edited:
Is anyone else watching Netflix's Dancing for the Devil: The 7M TikTok Cult ?
Wow. It's a weird story, and relevant here because Robert Shinn, "Pastor" of Shekinah Church -- which has the same name as some other unrelated churches -- is also operator of 7M Films, a management company for TikTok dancers. The church-goers are trained that they will certainly go to Hell if they disobey Shinn. Two dozen or so of his churchgoers claim to have been sexually assaulted by Shinn.

It may be an interesting case study for "Christian cults" in post-rational Amerika. And unlike most famous "cult" stories, this one is on-going: The cult is still active and AFAIK no indictments or arrests have been made.

One of 7M's top dancers is Miranda Derrick (nee Wilking). Google shows her with a $5 Million net worth now, though other 7M dancers report that they are required to sign dozens of blank checks and to ask for permission before spending money. Miranda's sister and parents feel that she has been brainwashed; it was their initiative that led to the Documentary.

Search terms like "Shekinah Robert Shinn" or "7M TikTok Shinn" or just "Miranda Derrick" will get hits, but I see no websites (except a personal one for Miranda). Perhaps any websites were taken down after the documentary appeared just a few weeks ago. Miranda herself seems clear-headed and doesn't believe she's in a cult but many dancers and churchgoers "escaped" from the cult even before the documentary appeared; and more have left recently.

I draw no particular conclusions. It's just a weird story.

I googled some Bible gravesites today. I found out that Adam and Eve are buried in Sri Lanka, but also near Hebron, Israel, at the Cave of the Patriarchs (which is also where Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebecca, and Leah are buried.) And Eve is also buried in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia. Which involves a lot of moving around, because I've been to Adam-ondi-Ahman, which is in Daviess County, Missouri, and was Adam and Eve's new home after they got kicked out of the Garden. Those two got around.
I'll do you one better - check out the gravesite of Jesus himself in Aomori, Japan.

I'll do you one better - check out the gravesite of Jesus himself in Aomori, Japan.
OMG... Thanks for the info; I may have to book my flight to Aomori. Without devoting too much space to it (see wikipedia for more), this tradition has Jesus' look-alike brother taking his place on the cross, and Jesus absconding to Japan, to marry and become a garlic farmer. Hell, why not. I'm sure the theologians could shoe-horn this tale into the grand narrative, if they had to. The trials and tribulations of Jesus would become learning to use chopsticks. They'd probably want to 'discover' a second Magnificat, in which an older, wiser Mary says, "My soul doth magnify the Lord, and all that stuff. But come on, you and your garlic, you don't have time to write your mother?" Jesus with his levitation tricks would make one hell of a ninja. Today's gamers would eat it up. Mortal Kombat XIII: Holy Ninja Klusterfuck is just waiting to happen.

Or the one in Srinagar, Kashmir, Roza Bal.

220px-Roza_Bal_Tomb_in_Srinagar_Kashmir.jpg

Will the Real Mcoy please stand up!

So many claiming to be Jesus. So many wanting to be Jesus. So many bowing down to Jesus.
🙄

2 - Our Lady of the Knobs -- convent in Floyd's Knobs, Indiana. I went there strictly for the name.
Of course you did
Yep. In the 80s and 90s I'd drive miles and miles out of my way to visit crazy-sounding places. I'm proud to have visited:
Cement, Indiana
Greasy Corner, Arkansas *
Intercourse, PA
Blue Ball, PA *
Knockemstiff, Ohio *
Cut and Shoot, Texas
Looneyville, WV
Weiner, Arkansas (I watched my speed, didn't wanna tangle with those Weiner police)
Chunky, MS
Hot Coffee, MS
Bobo and Soso, MS
Monkey's Eyebrow, KY *

* = unincorporated townships

The postmistress in Looneyville was a riot -- she told me about all the other tourists who stopped just to say they'd been there, and also that their town signs are continually stolen. Weiner is big enough to have cop cars that say Weiner PD, and there's a Bank of Weiner. I didn't see a Weiner Clinic, but I didn't stay long. Intercourse PA is Pennsylvania Dutch, and is swarming with tourists -- their name continues to enrich them. Cut and Shoot actually has a tiny post office with its name on the window. In Soso, MS, I stopped outside one of their schools (which was a big old quonset hut) and saw a car with my favorite bumper sticker of all time: MY CHILD IS AN HONORS STUDENT IN SOSO MIDDLE SCHOOL. Thank you, Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom