• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Study Shows White Privilege Among Poor.

Nice Squirrel

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Only the Nice Squirrel can save us.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/11/opinion/alexander-olson-poor-urban-whites/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

But the consequences have been especially dire for African-Americans. As young adults, African-American men had fared much worse than whites in the job market, even though they and their white counterparts had about the same levels of education and the whites reported higher rates of marijuana and heavy drug use and binge drinking.

Take, for example, the types of jobs the men in our study held. At 28, nearly half of the white men who had not attended college were employed in the industrial and construction trades, the highest-paying sector of blue-collar employment. By contrast, only 15% of African-American men worked in these sectors, and even within that small group, annual earnings were less than half that of whites -- $21,500 versus $43,000.

This disparity is no accident.

It fits a broader pattern evident as far back as high school: About one-fifth of white men who grew up in disadvantaged families had after-school and summer jobs in these industries -- important experience that can help secure a full-time job -- while not a single African-American person did.

And what of those women having babies?

Most of the women of disadvantaged background, white and African-American, became mothers as teenagers, worked sporadically and when working, their employment was concentrated in the low-pay clerical and service sectors.

The difference, though, is that many more white women were married or in a stable co-habiting relationship. An additional earner in the household makes a vast difference in economic well-being, which means that white men's workplace advantages benefit white women as well.

Why do women have babies as teenagers, and who, precisely, is to blame?

Impossible. If white privilege exists then I posses a trait or resource which others do not, my ability to attribute every good thing in my life solely to my own intelligence and hard work is compromised, and my sense of self worth is negatively impacted as a result.

Unacceptable.

They have babies as teenagers because they're having sex without using contraceptives. Who is to blame? Why point the finger of blame? Isn't the better question, what kind of measures can be taken to prevent it?

http://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/preventteenpreg.htm

Is being in a stable co-habiting relationship another aspect of white privilege, as implied by the article?

Sort of. The oldest economic statistic is, "Born poor, die poor."

One of the biggest factors in a person's day to day decisions is their perception of the future. This is especially true for young people. A stable co-habitating relationship may not be an aspect of white privilege, but the perception that it is the norm is a powerful part of the decision making process.

What we have to remember is, this is not a matter of race, but social strata. There is a black middle class and their statistics mirror the white counterpart, but they represent a smaller percentage of the population.

They have babies as teenagers because they're having sex without using contraceptives. Who is to blame? Why point the finger of blame? Isn't the better question, what kind of measures can be taken to prevent it?

http://www.cdc.gov/teenpregnancy/preventteenpreg.htm

Is being in a stable co-habiting relationship another aspect of white privilege, as implied by the article?

We need to stop heaping the victim blaming on the unwed black teen moms and focus on minimizing the racial disparity by getting more unwed white teen girls to have babies. This will absolve blacks of any personal responsibility, decrease white privilege and eliminate racial disparity. Plus, more government hand-outs to the poor! Finally, a win-win solution that liberals can embrace!

When did the term "White Privilege" enter the lexicon? I really don't remember hearing about it in the past. Seem to be a new "thing". Google agrees with me:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=white privelage

So is that a complete non sequitur to stop people from discussing a topic you're uncomfortable with, or are you pretending you're not smart enough to understand that a phenomenon can predate a term used to describe it?

Ok, I read the study. I wonder if geographic privilege isn't more to blame. A lot of black poor people live in areas like Detroit. I feel like the best thing the government could do is buy them a bus ticket to North Dakota or Texas. Let them get entry level jobs in the Fracking industry where they will probably make more than me.

- - - Updated - - -

When did the term "White Privilege" enter the lexicon? I really don't remember hearing about it in the past. Seem to be a new "thing". Google agrees with me:

It's been around at least 57 years. I have always been aware of it and tried to put it to good use.

Do you know who coined the term by chance?

So is that a complete non sequitur to stop people from discussing a topic you're uncomfortable with, or are you pretending you're not smart enough to understand that a phenomenon can predate a term used to describe it?

Take a deep breath. I'm just curious how the term entered the lexicon. Maye you shouldn't assume so much. I'm not uncomfortable with discussing it. Nor, am I claiming it doesn't exist. The extent to which it exists and the measurement of it are worthy of discussion.

Ok, I read the study. I wonder if geographic privilege isn't more to blame. A lot of black poor people live in areas like Detroit. I feel like the best thing the government could do is buy them a bus ticket to North Dakota or Texas. Let them get entry level jobs in the Fracking industry where they will probably make more than me.

I believe the term you are looking for is "ethnic cleansing".

To answer my own question:
n 1965, drawing from that insight, and inspired by the Civil Rights movement, Theodore W. Allen began a forty-year analysis of "white skin privilege," "white race" privilege, and "white" privilege in a call he drafted for a "John Brown Commemoration Committee" that urged "White Americans who want government of the people" and "by the people" to "begin by first repudiating their white skin privileges."[11] The pamphlet, "White Blindspot", containing one essay by Allen and one by Noel Ignatin (Noel Ignatiev), published in the late 1960s, focused on the struggle against "white skin privilege" and significantly influenced the Students for a Democratic Society and sectors of the New Left. By June 15, 1969, the New York Times was reporting that the National Office of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) was calling "for an all-out fight against 'white skin privileges.'"[12] In 1974-1975 Allen extended his analysis to the colonial period with his ground-breaking "Class Struggle and the Origin of Racial Slavery: The Invention of the White Race" in 1974/1975,[13] which ultimately grew into his seminal two-volume "The Invention of the White Race" in 1994 and 1997.[14]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

But why the huge uptick in interest in white privilege?

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the term you are looking for is "ethnic cleansing".

Did I say to kill them? People need to move to where the jobs are.

The groups are not equal in parental income. 98% of the black families were "low income" qualifying for subsidized lunches, while only 90% of the white families were, and Table 4 shows that for each poverty level a higher % of the blacks in those neighborhoods were below that poverty level than were whites. So, while they studies "poor" people broadly defined, the level of poverty was greater among the poor blacks. Thus the study mostly just shows the impact of poverty and income and not of race.

In addition, almost of the other differences that predict the future earnings of the kids raised in poverty are differences in how members of their own families and race treat them. Black mothers are more likely to get pregnant as a teen, and less likely to rate their children as their top priority, black fathers are less likely to support their offspring socially or financially, black neighbors are more likely to commit every type of crime against or just around these kids.
There are not many measures of services and support provided by society at large, except for the school quality which shows that the poor black kids actually went to as good or better schools than the poor white kids. Tables 4.5 and 4.6 show that the avg academic performance at the poor kids schools were similar, but kids in largely black neighborhoods went to schools with about 35% more after school programs and 15% fewer students per teacher.

Many of these factors and self-destructive actions within the black community have historical influences tied to racism, but the proximal causes are not "white privilege" unless it means that it is a privilege not to grow up around black people who are more likely to do or fail to do things that make life worse and harder to get past the obstacle of low parental income itself.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/11/opinion/alexander-olson-poor-urban-whites/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

But the consequences have been especially dire for African-Americans. As young adults, African-American men had fared much worse than whites in the job market, even though they and their white counterparts had about the same levels of education and the whites reported higher rates of marijuana and heavy drug use and binge drinking.

Take, for example, the types of jobs the men in our study held. At 28, nearly half of the white men who had not attended college were employed in the industrial and construction trades, the highest-paying sector of blue-collar employment. By contrast, only 15% of African-American men worked in these sectors, and even within that small group, annual earnings were less than half that of whites -- $21,500 versus $43,000.

This disparity is no accident.

It fits a broader pattern evident as far back as high school: About one-fifth of white men who grew up in disadvantaged families had after-school and summer jobs in these industries -- important experience that can help secure a full-time job -- while not a single African-American person did.

You're simply assuming this is due to discrimination.

Among other things--there's little construction in the inner city, thus few construction jobs there.

Among other things--there's little construction in the inner city, thus few construction jobs there.

Let me set up the dominos for you Loren Pechtel.

The inner city primarily consists of slum lord properties.

Primarily those who can't afford anything better live there. Few taxes are collected from slum dwellers. Few services are provided to slum dwellers. Few retailers locate where little is to be made.

The above is are major reasons why school busing started in areas where there was defacto segregation.

It is really a stretch to say one isn't discriminating just because the area in which they live has few jobs of the sort suited to those there because there is no activity going on there for those jobs.

When one sees a disparity in jobs in a work segment for which the population is well suited is there discrimination? Oh Yeaaah!

Primarily those who can't afford anything better live there. Few taxes are collected from slum dwellers. Few services are provided to slum dwellers. Few retailers locate where little is to be made.

The above is are major reasons why school busing started in areas where there was defacto segregation.

It is really a stretch to say one isn't discriminating just because the area in which they live has few jobs of the sort suited to those there because there is no activity going on there for those jobs.

When one sees a disparity in jobs in a work segment for which the population is well suited is there discrimination? Oh Yeaaah!

Ug, Double negatives are difficult to follow! Are you saying that people are discriminating when they don't locate a company with jobs in a booming area vs an area that is in decline and that has lots of "minorities"? If so, that is a big reach. Please rephrase so that I can follow you......

If you simply fail to undo an existing situation you are not discriminating.

Back
Top Bottom