• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Stupid Shit Religious People Do

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Watching an episode of the History Channel program Found. The shtick is people have their found artifacts researched to discover their history.

On this episode, a guy writes in that he has a Bowie knife he believes might have actually belonged to Jim Bowie. So the teams treks out to the knife holder's home and asks to see the knife.

The owner proceed to pull pieces of the knife out of a box. Why is it broken up in pieces? The guy says he's a Christian and he became obsessed with the knife and he can't have anything of him become higher than god.

Long story short. The knife steel is not Bowie's. The ivory handle however, now broken, dates back to being 45,000 years old.

Great job, asshole!

Reminds me of two unrelated events (except that they were done by zealots):
The burning of Beatles records in '66 in places like Birmingham and Waycross, all because of a Lennon quote that the Beatles were 'bigger than Jesus' -- which was a debatable point. At least it was just vinyl being burned in Dixie, at these mob experiences...
The dynamiting of two giant Buddha statues by the fun-loving Taliban, in Afghanistan, around 2001. One statue was 125' tall, and its neighbor was 180' tall. Blown up on orders from a mullah.
I'm sure there's heaps more of these events. The melting down of the gold treasures of the Inca and Aztec empires hardly count, IMO, as they were done strictly by treasure-crazed buccaneers, using religion to justify their predations. But to read of the carvings and figurines that went into the smelting pots can make you crazy.

But they weren't True Christians.
True Christians would never do anything like that.
Or Muslims. Islam is The Religion of Peace
Tom

Long story short. The knife steel is not Bowie's. The ivory handle however, now broken, dates back to being 45,000 years old.
Are you sure?

That's about the time H. Sapiens first permanently settled in Europe. Any worked ivory of that age would be astonishingly rare.
Non-existent, more like. The earliest ivory artifact we know of dates from nearly four thousand years later, and it's mammoth ivory.

Don't believe everything you see on tv, kids.

Watching an episode of the History Channel program Found. The shtick is people have their found artifacts researched to discover their history.

On this episode, a guy writes in that he has a Bowie knife he believes might have actually belonged to Jim Bowie. So the teams treks out to the knife holder's home and asks to see the knife.

The owner proceed to pull pieces of the knife out of a box. Why is it broken up in pieces? The guy says he's a Christian and he became obsessed with the knife and he can't have anything of him become higher than god.

Great job, asshole!
I don't see how this is a particularly Christian issue.

On the flip side Christians do the same thing, find something stupid related to an atheist or one of the many atheist views ad proclam all atheists are one way or another.

Great job, asshole!
I'm sure the Fiction Channel had to do a lot of spinning to conceal the abundance of stupidity around his object. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they were asking details about how he came into its possession. This is probably more golden tablets, seer stones religious fraud. Did he come upon the object when he was exploring for Noah's Ark or sailing the Bermuda triangle?

Reminds me of two unrelated events (except that they were done by zealots):
The burning of Beatles records in '66 in places like Birmingham and Waycross, all because of a Lennon quote that the Beatles were 'bigger than Jesus' -- which was a debatable point. At least it was just vinyl being burned in Dixie, at these mob experiences...
The dynamiting of two giant Buddha statues by the fun-loving Taliban, in Afghanistan, around 2001. One statue was 125' tall, and its neighbor was 180' tall. Blown up on orders from a mullah.
I'm sure there's heaps more of these events. The melting down of the gold treasures of the Inca and Aztec empires hardly count, IMO, as they were done strictly by treasure-crazed buccaneers, using religion to justify their predations. But to read of the carvings and figurines that went into the smelting pots can make you crazy.

The whole iconoclast stuff. As the reformation swept across parts of Northern Europe, Christian churches were sometimes gutted of all crucifixes and other religious symbols. Henry VIII's confiscation of monasteries.

I found some.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pastor-stunts-church_n_7346314

6 Of The Most Ridiculous Stunts Pastors Have Pulled To Get People To Church

Carol Kuruvilla

By Carol Kuruvilla
May 24, 2015, 08:51 PM EDT

https://facebook.com/share.php?u=ht...aign=share_facebook&ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

https://facebook.com/share.php?u=ht...aign=share_facebook&ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

Gone are the days when a banner advertising a revival service was enough to get Americans excited about going to church.
Pastor Lawrence Bishop II, of Solid Rock Church in Monroe, Ohio, was willing to be bruised and trampled by a bull named Bonecrusher in order to spread the gospel.
The "cowboy pastor" transformed his church into a bull ring on a recent Wednesday night, ABC reports. Bishop managed to hold on to the raging bull for about three seconds before being bucked to the ground. Then he climbed onto the stage and gave a sermon.

Are you sure?

That's about the time H. Sapiens first permanently settled in Europe. Any worked ivory of that age would be astonishingly rare.
They used carbon dating and basically said the same thing about H.S.

The ivory could have laid in a ditch for 20,000 years before being found and worked on.

A few years ago a local non-denominational christian mega parish hired a sky diver to parachute onto site at Easter dressed as the easter bunny. The main event was the kids going after thousands of easter eggs.

And then there was Moses melting down the golden calf (vandalism) and G_d himself destroying Sodom and Gomorrah, which, face it, by today's standards, could be giant theme parks providing plenty of employment. If your family's already done the Ark Encounter, you're telling me you wouldn't take in SodomLand and Wild Wild Gomorrah World?

Great job, asshole!
Well, how smart can it be to start a thread to curse out somebody who's never going to read it?

Are you sure?

Non-existent, more like. The earliest ivory artifact we know of dates from nearly four thousand years later, and it's mammoth ivory.

Don't believe everything you see on tv, kids.
It can’t be 45,000 years old since the earth is less than 10,000 years old!

In 1969 I went to Navy electronics schools outside of Memphis in Millington Tenn.

One day a bus was parked outside the main gate. Somebody was saying a group was putting togeter a social event for service people. I got on.

I ended up litening to Evangelicals testify and preach until the bus took us back.

Reactions: SLD
In 1969 I went to Navy electronics schools outside of Memphis in Millington Tenn.

One day a bus was parked outside the main gate. Somebody was saying a group was putting togeter a social event for service people. I got on.

I ended up litening to Evangelicals testify and preach until the bus took us back.
That belongs in the "stupid shit you did to yourself by not looking before you leapt" thread.

Are you sure?

They used carbon dating and basically said the same thing about H.S.

The ivory could have laid in a ditch for 20,000 years before being found and worked on.

Custom knife makers are using Mammoth Ivory for handle handles/scales;

Back
Top Bottom