• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Subs are better than Starships

In other words, it's kind of a neat idea for a fun piece of escapist fiction, as long as you don't look too closely at the details.

Most Sci Fi is like that.

I blame Bradbury and Lucas.

It used to be that sci-fi writers carefully interviewed scientists while they were working out the plot and the tech details of the story in order to be as realistic as possible. Now, any sci-fi writers who still do this are considered to be part of the "hard sci-fi" subgenre. All the rest of sci-fi writers seem to regard "sci-fi" as merely a setting in which stories can take place.

It used to be that sci-fi writers carefully interviewed scientists while they were working out the plot and the tech details of the story in order to be as realistic as possible.
Or actually were working scientists... Asimov comes to mind.

To be fair, if dismissive, I never really felt that Bradbury wrote science fiction. Sometimes his character studies happen to occur on a spaceship, or an alien planet, but it tends to feel more like an afterthought or window dressing.

And Lucas does samurai westerns.

Yeah, but every sub i've ever been on, the toilets require gravity to function.

Surely you are going to give your submarine (or your traffic tunnel) spin.
So, the toilets on the third and fourth deck work, the toilets on the first and second deck work... backwards?

That's even nastier than just floating there saying, "Dude, stop flipping the handle. You're just making it worse..."

Back
Top Bottom