• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tastes change as you age (food)

Question? When you roast your veggies do you drizzle olive oil on to keep integrity of the vitamins but not have it come out so dry it's hard to eat? I find it I do is not soggy like with steaming, and holds the vitamins in still if I use just enough to sprinkle on it all. Like with broccoli and cauliflower and asparagus especially as I don't like the wetness of steaming but cant eat it if I roast without evoo

Heat probably breaks down some of the vitamins.

I have absolutely no idea if the oil prevents that. I would be surprised if it did. I mostly do it because every roasting recipe I see does it, to be honest. I figured it helps with browning and keeping the veggies from sticking to the pan. Sometimes I toss in a little grated parmesan to whatever it is, other times I'll make some kind of creamy or cheesy sauce to pour over it when it comes out.

I'm aware it breaks down some of them. My question was on using oil to keep things like broccoli and cauliflower from feeling and tasting dry and yucky and hardtop eat versus decent and tasty and roasted. These are 2 veggies I cannot eat raw but find that when stemmed are soggy and not as good either.

Ah, so that's how you learned to be horrified by lutefisk.

It was pretty easy. My friend told me not to eat lutefisk. I asked what is lutefisk. He told me. I was horrified. How can one not be horrified???????

A Danish-American acquaintance described it this way:

Take any old fish. Stretch it out on a wooden board and leave it outside until it gets really rotten. Then scrape the fish off and eat the board.

That's not how lutefisk is made, that's not an accurate description of the taste or texture, but it does have the benefit of being funny as fuck without mentioning the lye. I figure if someone is crazy enough to try it, the lye should be a surprise. :D

I can't believe that I used to eat: peanut butter cookies, donuts, soft-boiled eggs, grilled cheese, or more than two slices of pizza at a sitting. I still like pizza, but after the first 2 slices, it's just unnecessary. If I ate an entire pie, I'm convinced I would feel the outline of every vein and artery I possess.
I used to be repelled by skim milk; now it's all I buy.

Back
Top Bottom