• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tell Us Something No One Knows About You

I have a sister, but I've only met her twice, and that was 24 years ago.

My Mum had my sister when Mum was in her late teens, and gave the child up for adoption. I didn't ask why but I assume there were a bunch of good reasons. My Dad wasn't in the picture and wouldn't be for half a decade.

After my parents married, they had me and my brother.

When I was 14, my Dad took me and my brother for a drive, and gave us some news.
1. We had a 21-year-old older sister.
2. No-one in Mum's family knew about it except for her mother.
3. My sister had contacted Mum and wanted to meet her.
4. My sister was at our house, meeting my Mum, and we were going home to meet her, too.

I remember walking in and giving her a hug. I can say that my sister was a nice young woman, and must have taken after her father in looks because she didn't resemble my Mum at all, but not much else about her stayed in my memory. She had been adopted by a upper middle class couple who couldn't have kids of their own. She was a nurse and was joining the Navy.

We met my sister one more time a short time after, when we were invited to her mother's home. I remember her adoptive mother was polite, older than my parents, and just a bit snobby.

Some time later Dad said that Mum got a phone call from the adoptive mother. They wanted to carry on living their lives as they were and didn't want any more contact with us.

I never really knew how Mum felt about all this, and I've never figured out a good way to raise the subject. From the little I understand, she was quite hurt by the rejection, and it never seemed like a good idea to raise the subject again. If my sister had never contacted Mum than I suspect I never would have learned of her existence; Mum would have preferred not to relive the trauma.

I occasionally think about her and wonder what she did with her life. Never had any success finding her online.
About 10 years ago I did 23&Me. About once a year since then I check to see if I have any close relatives that I never knew about, and every year there are new DNA relatives, but I share typically less than 1%, so, not close, not that interesting. Fourth cousins, no recognizable last names.

Two years ago in 2022 I did my annual check expecting no one close but this time there is a first cousin, an anonymous person listed only as "Ann B". We share grandparents, we share 10% the same DNA profile. Her profile shows that she is 50% Japanese. I immediately send an email to her, saying hello. An entire year goes by and in 2023 I get a response that is only: "Ho, is Judy your mother?" I write back immediately saying yes. I also tell her that my Mom, Judy, has just passed away, and I send more information telling her that I have two siblings so counting me she has 3 new first cousins. And I ask, how are we related? No answers. None.

In my family somewhere I am either missing an Aunt or Uncle (Ann B's parent) or my only Uncle (Judy's brother) had a child with someone other than his wife. Uncle "Bob" wasn't in the military nor ever traveled to Japan as far as I know, but Uncle Bob did have an uncle that lived in Hawaii. Uncle Bob had 5 children with Aunt J, there are my only cousins (until Ann B). I haven't asked any of them about Ann B.

My Mum had my sister when Mum was in her late teens, and gave the child up for adoption. I didn't ask why but I assume there were a bunch of good reasons. My Dad wasn't in the picture and wouldn't be for half a decade.

When I was 14, my Dad took me and my brother for a drive, and gave us some news.
4. My sister was at our house, meeting my Mum, and we were going home to meet her, too.

I remember walking in and giving her a hug. I can say that my sister was a nice young woman, and must have taken after her father in looks because she didn't resemble my Mum at all, but not much else about her stayed in my memory. She had been adopted by a upper middle class couple who couldn't have kids of their own. She was a nurse and was joining the Navy.

We met my sister one more time a short time after, when we were invited to her mother's home. I remember her adoptive mother was polite, older than my parents, and just a bit snobby.

Some time later Dad said that Mum got a phone call from the adoptive mother. They wanted to carry on living their lives as they were and didn't want any more contact with us.

I never really knew how Mum felt about all this, and I've never figured out a good way to raise the subject. From the little I understand, she was quite hurt by the rejection, and it never seemed like a good idea to raise the subject again. If my sister had never contacted Mum than I suspect I never would have learned of her existence; Mum would have preferred not to relive the trauma.

I occasionally think about her and wonder what she did with her life. Never had any success finding her online.
About 10 years ago I did 23&Me. About once a year since then I check to see if I have any close relatives that I never knew about, and every year there are new DNA relatives, but I share typically less than 1%, so, not close, not that interesting. Fourth cousins, no recognizable last names.

Two years ago in 2022 I did my annual check expecting no one close but this time there is a first cousin, an anonymous person listed only as "Ann B". We share grandparents, we share 10% the same DNA profile. Her profile shows that she is 50% Japanese. I immediately send an email to her, saying hello. An entire year goes by and in 2023 I get a response that is only: "Ho, is Judy your mother?" I write back immediately saying yes. I also tell her that my Mom, Judy, has just passed away, and I send more information telling her that I have two siblings so counting me she has 3 new first cousins. And I ask, how are we related? No answers. None.

In my family somewhere I am either missing an Aunt or Uncle (Ann B's parent) or my only Uncle (Judy's brother) had a child with someone other than his wife. Uncle "Bob" wasn't in the military nor ever traveled to Japan as far as I know, but Uncle Bob did have an uncle that lived in Hawaii. Uncle Bob had 5 children with Aunt J, there are my only cousins (until Ann B). I haven't asked any of them about Ann B.
I'm actually kind of avoiding doing 23&Me precisely because of your situation. Finding out someone in my close knit, extended family who I thought was pure of heart and mind (particularly my mom or dad) had a secret child would be too much of a mind fuck for me to deal with.

This is fun
I was born in a place that can't be found on a map.
ANY map?
Any accurate map drawn since 1980.
A place that has been re-named, or a place that has ceased to exist?
Actually, both. I was born in the US territory of the Panama Canal Zone.
"Hey, want to see a picture of my birth canal? There's plenty online."
That's what she said.

Actually, both. I was born in the US territory of the Panama Canal Zone.

So both you and John McCain are "natural born Citizens" and eligible for the POTUS job. But what if, due to complications, the delivery had to be performed by a hospital in Panama City, Panama?

Consular Report of Birth Abroad
A few years ago, I needed a fresh SS card, so I brought my birth certificate with me and sat patiently and waited for the 20 something clerk to tell me Ancon, Panama isn't in the United States. John McCain and I were born in the same hospital, which at the time would have been the best place to have a complicated delivery.

I'm actually kind of avoiding doing 23&Me precisely because of your situation. Finding out someone in my close knit, extended family who I thought was pure of heart and mind (particularly my mom or dad) had a secret child would be too much of a mind fuck for me to deal with.
A friend of mine was thinking about getting his DNA done by 23&Me (or one of the other sites), and he spoke with each of his siblings beforehand and half-jokingly half-seriously said "is there any reason that I shouldn't have our DNA profile online?"

I change the lyrics to popular tunes so that they’re utterly crude and vulgar. But it’s what the songwriter really means to say.

🎶We could fuck the whole night through!🎶

But I only do this in my head and never out loud.

Back
Top Bottom