• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tell Us Something No One Knows About You

I have a sister, but I've only met her twice, and that was 24 years ago.

My Mum had my sister when Mum was in her late teens, and gave the child up for adoption. I didn't ask why but I assume there were a bunch of good reasons. My Dad wasn't in the picture and wouldn't be for half a decade.

After my parents married, they had me and my brother.

When I was 14, my Dad took me and my brother for a drive, and gave us some news.
1. We had a 21-year-old older sister.
2. No-one in Mum's family knew about it except for her mother.
3. My sister had contacted Mum and wanted to meet her.
4. My sister was at our house, meeting my Mum, and we were going home to meet her, too.

I remember walking in and giving her a hug. I can say that my sister was a nice young woman, and must have taken after her father in looks because she didn't resemble my Mum at all, but not much else about her stayed in my memory. She had been adopted by a upper middle class couple who couldn't have kids of their own. She was a nurse and was joining the Navy.

We met my sister one more time a short time after, when we were invited to her mother's home. I remember her adoptive mother was polite, older than my parents, and just a bit snobby.

Some time later Dad said that Mum got a phone call from the adoptive mother. They wanted to carry on living their lives as they were and didn't want any more contact with us.

I never really knew how Mum felt about all this, and I've never figured out a good way to raise the subject. From the little I understand, she was quite hurt by the rejection, and it never seemed like a good idea to raise the subject again. If my sister had never contacted Mum than I suspect I never would have learned of her existence; Mum would have preferred not to relive the trauma.

I occasionally think about her and wonder what she did with her life. Never had any success finding her online.

I've had cosmetic surgery.

When I was 13 I had my ears pinned back.

As a boy I had very big ears that stuck out a long way. Children had teased me about it for years, and in my first year of high-school kids referred to me as "Nim-nim", as in the sound of a satellite signal. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad, but I was also bullied for being shy and liking books, and was afraid to stand up for myself.

This was my second high school, and my parents were ready to move me to a private school after I started skipping school and failing every subject, but I didn't want to move because I was convinced that I would be terrorised no matter where they sent me. However they agreed to help me fix my ears.

In the summer holidays between Year 8 and 9 I had the surgery. It went pretty well, although my ears now had a slightly unnatural shape and didn't really bend like ears normally do.

When I came back to school in Year 9, everyone immediately noticed. They then noticed another quirk about my head: my head is unusually large* and long in the front-back direction, so they started making fun of me for that instead. I left the school after Term 1 and started at a private school like my parents had wanted. I was never bullied again.

* Hats labelled "one size fits all" do not, in fact, fit all.

My sister had this done at a very young age. She must have been seven or eight years old at the time. She too had the surgery done during summer. I remember the thick bandaging around her head and her quietly crying due to how hot and uncomfortable she was. It must have been some of the hottest days of summer.
I can relate. The bandage was unpleasant, especially when trying to sleep.

According to Hot or Not I was a 7, so I guess the surgery was a good long-term investment.

In adulthood I had an awful time with motorcycle helmets. I could never find a good fit - no manufacturer makes helmets for my weird skull shape - and my ears are so stiff that it's incredibly uncomfortable to put a helmet on.
coneheads.jpg

"HELMET LAWS SUCK"

Back
Top Bottom