• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Terrorists take over Bay Bridge, falsely imprison commuters

Really? I would have thought more people used the San Francisco Bay Bridge than the Malheur Wildlife Refuge.

And in any case I'm sure this "all protests that are later deemed awesome cause some level of inconvenience" would also apply to the Malheur Wildlife Refuge wouldn't it?

Maybe. But as far as I know, none of the BLM protesters are armed, and they occupied the bridge for some hours, not days into weeks. I do think that the lack of firearms, length of time and the number of snack requests set it apart from Bundy's bunch.

I would think more people cross the Bay Bridge in a day than visit the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in a very, very long time.

Not sure what being armed has to do with it. The people who wanted to use the Refuge or the Bridge are deprived of it just the same.

But the people protesting on the bridge were committing an act of Civil Disobedience, were arrested,

And promptly released. :banghead:
Perhaps you should start a fund to subsidize the internment of BLM protesters around the USA. Otherwise, who are you to expect other communities to fund the temporary relief from your butthurt?

Last edited:
Really? I would have thought more people used the San Francisco Bay Bridge than the Malheur Wildlife Refuge.
There would be no doubt in that.

And in any case I'm sure this "all protests that are later deemed awesome cause some level of inconvenience" would also apply to the Malheur Wildlife Refuge wouldn't it?
What does the Malheur Wildlife Refuge seizure have to do with inconvenience? It really isn't much of an inconvenience to anyone except those who are getting stalked by the protesters. It is more about heavily armed status of the occupiers and their statements of being "ready to die", implying they would use lethal force, insist that the Federal Government lacks the right to own the property, and their stated intention of having no intention of leaving that really makes it a pretty big deal. And of course, their destruction of a fence that the adjoining property didn't want removed.

Your post really is equivalent to saying "The Cavs really kept Golden State on their toes last night."

There would be no doubt in that.

What does the Malheur Wildlife Refuge seizure have to do with inconvenience? It really isn't much of an inconvenience to anyone except those who are getting stalked by the protesters. It is more about heavily armed status of the occupiers and their statements of being "ready to die", implying they would use lethal force, insist that the Federal Government lacks the right to own the property, and their stated intention of having no intention of leaving that really makes it a pretty big deal. And of course, their destruction of a fence that the adjoining property didn't want removed.

Your post really is equivalent to saying "The Cavs really kept Golden State on their toes last night."

Actually much of this thread has been about the people who were harmed by the disruption of the intended use of the Bay Bridge. But if you are arguing the disruption of the Malheur Wildlife refuge has had substantially less harmful effect on people than the closing of the Bay Bridge, we agree.

If you are dumb enough to believe it.

"All protests which are later deemed awesome...inconvenience" does not imply that all inconvenient protests will later be deemed awesome.

An 'awesome' protest would have packed enough tampons for at least a month.

If you are dumb enough to believe it.

"All protests which are later deemed awesome...inconvenience" does not imply that all inconvenient protests will later be deemed awesome.

You know I had not considered that.

Oh wait, that was actually central to my point.

Protestors don't get to decide the rules don't apply to them because they think their protest is awesome. The Bundy guys think their protest is awesome too.

Maybe. But as far as I know, none of the BLM protesters are armed, and they occupied the bridge for some hours, not days into weeks. I do think that the lack of firearms, length of time and the number of snack requests set it apart from Bundy's bunch.

I would think more people cross the Bay Bridge in a day than visit the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in a very, very long time.

Not sure what being armed has to do with it.
The people who wanted to use the Refuge or the Bridge are deprived of it just the same.
Please. We all know that if the BLM protesters were armed or if there was even a hint that they *might* be armed, they would be dead right now.

Moreover, the BLM movement is not seeking to wrest control of federal land and return it to 'local' control.

Isn't that kind of the point of a Wildlife Refuge?

I didn't notice an actual question until the second time around...

Again, I have not defended the bridge protesters actions as somehow legal. They broke the law, and they were ok with the consequences. So am I.
The problem is that the consequences they are facing are nowhere serious enough to deter these people. After all, they were all released before the day was out. They did not even have to spend a night in jail.
Yeah, well I tend to prefer to live in a society that understands that people will have grievances, and not want to create a police state in order to make sure we have absolute tranquility.

And ok, you do not think what they did was legal. But do you think it was moral?
I'm not sure if it was moral, as I would need to know much more about the situation. But it certainly isn't a horrible thing in the grand scheme of things.

Also, calling them "protesters" is misleading.
And calling the #BLM protesters "terrorists" isn't misleading? ROTFLMAO No, Derec this #BLM event is/was clearly within the normative of what most all people would call protesting, and little else beside being a public nuisance, unlawful assembly and obstructing free passage.

You do not have the right to publicly express yourself on the Bay Bridge. It is a crime to do so.

What if I drive across the bridge with a sign on my car that says "dismal is a big poopy head"? Would I be subject to arrest?

You do not have the right to publicly express yourself on the Bay Bridge. It is a crime to do so.

What if I drive across the bridge with a sign on my car that says "dismal is a big poopy head"? Would I be subject to arrest?
Yes, because the resulting standing ovation would cause a traffic jam.

Yeah, well I tend to prefer to live in a society that understands that people will have grievances, and not want to create a police state in order to make sure we have absolute tranquility.
If they have grievances they need to air them on December 23rd like the rest of us, not block highway/bridge traffic. It is not a police state to aggressively go after idiots like that, no matter their political motivation. Would you be as understanding if you were trapped on a bridge because some pro-lifers or anti-gay-marriage activists decided to have themselves a little "protest"?

I'm not sure if it was moral, as I would need to know much more about the situation. But it certainly isn't a horrible thing in the grand scheme of things.
Tell that to the people who were trapped there.

And calling the #BLM protesters "terrorists" isn't misleading? ROTFLMAO
It was a direct reference to the thread about the Oregon occupiers.
No, Derec this #BLM event is/was clearly within the normative of what most all people would call protesting, and little else beside being a public nuisance, unlawful assembly and obstructing free passage.
You forgot to mention false imprisonment.

Who was falsely imprisoned? And I am not talking in a weird "oh they had to lock their car doors" way. I mean in the legal, prosecutable way.

Please. We all know that if the BLM protesters were armed or if there was even a hint that they *might* be armed, they would be dead right now.
Oh really?
-8616578a1c8998d1.JPG

And the racist of the (New) Black Panther group like to parade and run around with rifles as well and they are not getting shot.
I think you have fallen victim to some PC misinformation here.
Moreover, the BLM movement is not seeking to wrest control of federal land and return it to 'local' control.
One of the things Occupy Bay Bridge idiots were complaining about is gentrification, which is about ownership and control of real estate.

- - - Updated - - -

Who was falsely imprisoned? And I am not talking in a weird "oh they had to lock their car doors" way. I mean in the legal, prosecutable way.
If you trap somebody on a bridge for two hours that's false imprisonment.

I don't recall Derec calling for the imprisonment of New Jersey officials over slowing traffic to a standstill on a bridge to New York.

Perhaps you should start a fund to subsidize the internment of BLM protesters around the USA. Otherwise, who are you to expect other communities to fund the temporary relief from your butthurt?
People are routinely getting jail sentences for crimes much less serious than blocking a busy highway bridge. They also usually spend at least one night in jail before their bail hearing.

I don't recall Derec calling for the imprisonment of New Jersey officials over slowing traffic to a standstill on a bridge to New York.
That resulted in several federal felony charges. So you think those responsible for Bay Bridge shutdown should face federal felony charges as well or at least state felony charges since the bridge is not between states?

Well Jamar Clark's Bunch managed to occupy a police precinct for three weeks and they were asking for food and firewood.

The Malheur case is one of insurrection and seizing of government property.
And the Bay Bridge is not government property?

And oddly enough, the alleged reason, to protest the extended prison sentences of the two people there is no where to be heard.
Well one of the things that go the #BLMer panties in a bunch is that a known gangbanger was shot dead when he stabbed somebody and refused to drop the knife when he got surrounded by police.
I don't know, I think robbers and stabbers (whom #BLM support) are a lot more dangerous than some yahoos who illegally clear federal grassland.

Back
Top Bottom