• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Texans Like Their High School Football

Trausti

Deleted
A North Texas school district has gotten the green light to break ground on what will be one of the most expensive high school stadiums in the U.S.

Voters there approved, by 62 percent, a $220 million bond program on Saturday that included a little more than $50 million for a new 12,000-seat high school stadium and event center for the McKinney Independent School District, about 30 miles outside of Dallas.

The total price tag for the stadium and center: $62.8 million.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-district-oks-628m-high-school-stadium-center/story?id=39049339

I suppose they can afford it with all those companies escaping California and relocating to Texas.

hill-city-block.gif

A North Texas school district has gotten the green light to break ground on what will be one of the most expensive high school stadiums in the U.S.

Voters there approved, by 62 percent, a $220 million bond program on Saturday that included a little more than $50 million for a new 12,000-seat high school stadium and event center for the McKinney Independent School District, about 30 miles outside of Dallas.

The total price tag for the stadium and center: $62.8 million.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-district-oks-628m-high-school-stadium-center/story?id=39049339

I suppose they can afford it with all those companies escaping California and relocating to Texas.

hill-city-block.gif

Plus, just think how much more stimulated their economy will be with all that infrastructure. I'm going to slap a 10x multiplier on it.

hill-city-block.gif

Plus, just think how much more stimulated their economy will be with all that infrastructure. I'm going to slap a 10x multiplier on it.

Except it isn't useful infrastructure. It is a place where people can go and watch a specific and restricted set of things.

If it was roads, or public transit, or fiber optics or any other rhythm-of-life infrastructure it would be different in that the effort would pay itself back by improving the lives of everyone. But stadiums have a hard time improving the lives of, well, anyone. I don't recall the last time I ever even stepped into something that would qualify as a stadium.

Except it isn't useful infrastructure. It is a place where people can go and watch a specific and restricted set of things.

If it was roads, or public transit, or fiber optics or any other rhythm-of-life infrastructure it would be different in that the effort would pay itself back by improving the lives of everyone. But stadiums have a hard time improving the lives of, well, anyone. I don't recall the last time I ever even stepped into something that would qualify as a stadium.

OK, 8X multiplier then.

If you don't set foot in stadiums I'm sure no one else does either.

But the money circulates in the economy regardless.

Hush your mouth young man, that new Jawa Transporter USBANK Stadium (and roller dome II), is bringing our metro "thousands" of full-time, year round jobs for the seven-twelve days a year gridiron football game is played there.

Hush your mouth young man, that new Jawa Transporter USBANK Stadium (and roller dome II), is bringing our metro "thousands" of full-time, year round jobs for the seven-twelve days a year gridiron football game is played there.

I'm still not sure why it isn't Minneapolis Taxpayer Stadium with a tiny little dedication plaque to USBank for being a contributor.

OK, 8X multiplier then.

Except when the money is spent on a stadium, the money doesn't circulate. It's flushed constantly down the toilet of upkeep. It's used at most one or two days of the week, and the 'jobs' it produces are transient. The construction is done by contractorsnoften from out of state, and the money spent disappears quickly into the pockets of profiteers capitalists. Instead of acting as a common platform that is accessible and useful for for a culture that relies on it, it sits as an edifice to rent seeking. It isn't proper to call it infrastructure. In this case it's just yet another essentially private structure.

Squirrel said:

On other days it has other events. Like Monster Truck Madness, Madness, MADNESS! And concerts.

It looks like someone's dad put it together without reading the instructions.

OK, 8X multiplier then.

Except when the money is spent on a stadium, the money doesn't circulate. It's flushed constantly down the toilet of upkeep. It's used at most one or two days of the week, and the 'jobs' it produces are transient. The construction is done by contractorsnoften from out of state, and the money spent disappears quickly into the pockets of profiteers capitalists. Instead of acting as a common platform that is accessible and useful for for a culture that relies on it, it sits as an edifice to rent seeking. It isn't proper to call it infrastructure. In this case it's just yet another essentially private structure.

You don't realize this, but dismal is pulling a poe on you. His statement is sarcastic. Dismal doesn't usually believe that government spending ever accomplishes anything productive. (except maybe when it's spent to stop terrorists or criminals)

I think everyone who has posted in this thread so far agrees that this is an inefficient use of taxpayer money.

Tell that to the City of Oakland and Alameda County. The Oakland Raiders, an NFL team can't get a stadium built because the tax burden on the citizens would be too much. This has been ongoing for well over 15 years now. The city and county both know they'll lose a shit ton of money over it even if the stadium sells out every single week the Raiders play there.

Only when a football facility can double as something else for the rest of the year does it become worthwhile (e.g. convention center that attracts other business).

You guys need to get more sport happening.

Of course a stadium won't make money if you only use it for one football code.

Lang Park hosts Rugby League Football, Association Football and Rugby Union Football - that's a match every couple of weeks, all year around; including the occasional international match and exhibition games featuring touring sides from other nations. Last week, there was a sold-out double-header, Manly vs Brisbane and Melbourne vs North Queensland; and the Queensland teams were officially the AWAY sides - both Manly and Melbourne gave up home ground advantage knowing that playing in Brisbane and collecting half of 52,000 ticket sales would be more lucrative than playing at home and collecting all of the few thousand receipts they get locally (Manly get poor attendances because they have a tiny decrepit stadium; Melbourne get poor attendances because Victorians don't care about Rugby League, obsessed as they are with aerial ping-pong or whatever it is they play down there).

The moral of the story is, if you are going to build a stadium, build it in Australia (but not at Brookvale).

Lol at you trying to educate Dismal!

Squirrel said:

On other days it has other events. Like Monster Truck Madness, Madness, MADNESS! And concerts.
As long as they have a Jawa Sandcrawler, them I am all for it!

OK, 8X multiplier then.

What's important is that it's a prop for maintaining a childhood fantasy world for a population that doesn't like reality, kind of like the Christmas season. If Texas is ever going to secede, it's really gonna need to get more consumers better trained in fighting over imaginary teams and hero stories and whatnot.

It looks like someone's dad put it together without reading the instructions.

Every time I see it, I feel tempted to begin planning on 'defacing' it with a new name: MN Taxpayer Stadium

You don't realize this, but dismal is pulling a poe on you. His statement is sarcastic. Dismal doesn't usually believe that government spending ever accomplishes anything productive. (except maybe when it's spent to stop terrorists or criminals)

I think everyone who has posted in this thread so far agrees that this is an inefficient use of taxpayer money.

I do realize he's taking a sarcastic jab at the idea that government exists to provide infrastructure. And I'm telling him he can take that false analogy and place it lovingly in his rectum, because he isn't fooling anyone or furthering his rent seeking proselytization in any way.

I do realize he's taking a sarcastic jab at the idea that government exists to provide infrastructure. And I'm telling him he can take that false analogy and place it lovingly in his rectum, because he isn't fooling anyone or furthering his rent seeking proselytization in any way.

Those fucking football coaches in Texas told me to keep running at people with my head as a weapon to make the other team fall down. That is how they practice warming up; kamikaze headbutts. These people have no idea about how concussions happen, or why Texas is such a shitty place to live according to history. The best football coach I ever had didn't even know where the battle for Texas independence happened.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom