• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Texas Secessionists Push for Referendum on State Becoming Independent

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Republican lawmaker has introduced a bill that would give Texans a vote on whether to secede from the United States.

Texas State Rep. Bryan Slaton said he was "proud" to file H.B. 3596, known as the Texas Independence Referendum Act, on Monday.

Texas nationalists have been pushing unsuccessfully for a referendum on secession for decades despite the fact there is no provision for a state to secede in the U.S. Constitution. Secessionists' hopes have been buoyed by an opinion poll last year suggesting support for independence and a call for a referendum by Texas Republicans.

"The Texas Constitution is clear that all political power resides in the people," Slaton said in a statement. "After decades of continuous abuse of our rights and liberties by the federal government, it is time to let the people of Texas make their voices heard."

If H.B. 3596 is passed, it would place a referendum on Texas' secession on the ballot during the next general election. If a majority vote "yes" on the referendum, a committee would be established to "investigate the feasibility of independence from the Union and propose options and potential plans for independence to the Texas Legislature."
How would this even work?

I would prefer Mississippi and Alabama be allowed to go independent. Much less of a loss in those going. BUT, this would still be 2 less republican senators, and that electoral college map would be looking a lot better.

As to how it would work? well, take a look at how well UK / Brexit is going and realize that would be too good for Texas to hope for.

I think if the other states allow it, it can happen, but it won't happen. For several reasons. Look up Quebec and the issues there. Mainly the money. The bill itself just asks for a referendum to see whether the Legislature should look into it. Pretty stupid because any investigation into would say secession would be "fucking stupid". Of course, "fucking stupid" is the second plank of the GOP platform these days.

But in the theoretical, the idea of the GOP reducing their influence in American government, however, sounds... nice.

I would prefer Mississippi and Alabama be allowed to go independent. Much less of a loss in those going. BUT, this would still be 2 less republican senators, and that electoral college map would be looking a lot better.

As to how it would work? well, take a look at how well UK / Brexit is going and realize that would be too good for Texas to hope for.
It's just a hoot!

Wait'll Texans realize that there will be no more federal highway funds. No more SSI. No more "let's go to Nevada for the weekend", unless they've got a passport.

The Wall will be on the Texan border, not Mexican.
Tom

As I understand it, Texas was the only state allowed to have the option to secede when admitted to the US.

As I understand it, Texas was the only state allowed to have the option to secede when admitted to the US.
Can't say I knew that. But it doesn't surprise me given the unorthodox way the U.S. acquired it in the first place.

Did this option include provisions for the settling of accounts upon secession?
Tom

DO IT!
And good luck with your electrical grid, cowboys.
(We will want to pull everything that belongs to NASA out of there of course)

Also,
Federal highways become toll roads, at least until the Union of States recoups our investment.
Tom

Can't say I knew that. But it doesn't surprise me given the unorthodox way the U.S. acquired it in the first place.

Tom
I don't think anything like that was addressed in the original agreement.

Tom
I don't think anything like that was addressed in the original agreement.

I wonder if the Mexican government will get involved.

The original reason Texas came to be was the Mexican government. A huge chunk of the Mexican empire was nearly unpopulated, at least by EuroChristian people. The Mexican government offered big land grants to white folks.
Provided those white folks promised fealty to the Mexican government.
Tom

Or what if the drug cartels simply took over, by paying off whatever politicians were in charge? There would be no US military, FBI, DEA, etc. to oppose them. There would be no gun laws, so the cartels would be buying them up.

Or what if the drug cartels simply took over, by paying off whatever politicians were in charge? There would be no US military, FBI, DEA, etc. to oppose them. There would be no gun laws, so the cartels would be buying them up.
Heh.
When the Texan politicians get cut off from bribery by U.S. rich folks, due to leaving the U.S., I'm guessing the Texan politicians will drop their prices accordingly.
Tom

This Texan would be looking for a new place to live.

I'm betting all the neo-billionaires like Elon Musk, who have spent the last decade migrating to Texas on the grounds that California was too liberal, might not be too happy with Texas as an independent country.

And of course, all it takes is a billionaire or three to purse their brow, and politicians suddenly see the error of their ways.

If Texas were allowed to secede, Would the liberal cities in Texas then want to secede from Texas?

This Texan would be looking for a new place to live.
So would every other Texan with a brain and the wherewithal to get out.
You probably believe that but it isn't true.

People with roots don't up and leave because the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence.

I came out the closet in the 80s. Here in deep red Jesustan. Lots of folks told me I should leave for a big city, like Chicago.

I didn't want to, I didn't do so, and I don't regret it. I made a life where I am.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom