• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Texas Secessionists Push for Referendum on State Becoming Independent

If I recall the last time some states tried to secede there was a bit of shooting for a few years.
Ironic.

The first time some states tried to secede it was a bit of shooting in the late 18th century.
Tom

This shit again. They cannot secede. The people can go but they have to leave the land and water behind. Once you're in, you're in.
Texas v. White
"There was no place for reconsideration or revocation, except through revolution or through consent of the States." - Texas v. White

I.e., once you're in your in, unless the other states agree to let you leave. Singapore left Malaysia by making itself such a pain in the ass to the other states that they kicked Singapore out. Texas in theory could do likewise.

You can
Check out any time you like but...

You can
Never leave.

I thought that was California.
Tom
I'm hoping the departure of Texas would set some precedent for our secession as well. The federal government has never understood the West, its problems or its virtues.

This Texan would be looking for a new place to live.
So would every other Texan with a brain and the wherewithal to get out.
You probably believe that but it isn't true.

People with roots don't up and leave because the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence.

I came out the closet in the 80s. Here in deep red Jesustan. Lots of folks told me I should leave for a big city, like Chicago.

I didn't want to, I didn't do so, and I don't regret it. I made a life where I am.
Tom
Hooookay, Tom.
Somehow I doubt that if you were in what TX would quickly become under its own independent government and "morality", you'd be quite so blasé about living there. Killing fags might be their national sport, y'know. As it (TX) is now, that wouldn't go over extremely well with the courts, but in an independent Texas, it would likely be just fine.

This Texan would be looking for a new place to live.
So would every other Texan with a brain and the wherewithal to get out.
You probably believe that but it isn't true.

People with roots don't up and leave because the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence.

I came out the closet in the 80s. Here in deep red Jesustan. Lots of folks told me I should leave for a big city, like Chicago.

I didn't want to, I didn't do so, and I don't regret it. I made a life where I am.
Tom
Hooookay, Tom.
Somehow I doubt that if you were in what TX would quickly become under its own independent government and "morality", you'd be quite so blasé about living there. Killing fags might be their national sport, y'know. As it (TX) is now, that wouldn't go over extremely well with the courts, but in an independent Texas, it would likely be just fine.
Apparently coming out of the closet is similar to a breakaway republic. Someone should tell China so they stop whining about Taiwan.

Texas is an illegitimate state to begin with, and we're better off without it.

As they said when it was up for statehood in front of Congress, "Texas is just another way to spell taxes!"
Then, when Texans were bellyaching about Alaska becoming a State, there was "You better sit down and shut up, or we'll cut Alaska in half and make Texas the THIRD largest State!"

I'm hoping the departure of Texas would set some precedent for our secession as well. The federal government has never understood the West, its problems or its virtues.
So where exactly do you live, Perth, Kalgoorlie, Broome, Margaret River...?

;)
You have no real equivalent of a California or a Texas; as near as I can tell all of Western Australia is one giant Utah.

;)
You have no real equivalent of a California or a Texas; as near as I can tell all of Western Australia is one giant Utah.
They certainly spend a lot of time whinging about being misunderstood by the East Coast - much of it justified. When they're not digging for gold, or on fire.

Sounds more like a giant California to me :)

;)
They certainly spend a lot of time whinging about being misunderstood by the East Coast - much of it justified. When they're not digging for gold, or on fire.

Ah, but we have one thing Perth hasn't got: capital.

;)

Perth IS the capital. :)

I think if the other states allow it, it can happen, but it won't happen. For several reasons. Look up Quebec and the issues there. Mainly the money. The bill itself just asks for a referendum to see whether the Legislature should look into it. Pretty stupid because any investigation into would say secession would be "fucking stupid". Of course, "fucking stupid" is the second plank of the GOP platform these days.

But in the theoretical, the idea of the GOP reducing their influence in American government, however, sounds... nice.
They would become an oil-rich third world country.

;)

Actually, it does, simply because of all the mining in WA.

I think if the other states allow it, it can happen, but it won't happen. For several reasons. Look up Quebec and the issues there. Mainly the money. The bill itself just asks for a referendum to see whether the Legislature should look into it. Pretty stupid because any investigation into would say secession would be "fucking stupid". Of course, "fucking stupid" is the second plank of the GOP platform these days.

But in the theoretical, the idea of the GOP reducing their influence in American government, however, sounds... nice.
Without Texans like Bush and Cruz, it would be easier for the rest of us to wean off fossil fuels.

Go Texiteers!

I'd say "Get the fuck out of my country", but that wouldn't be polite.
Tom

Without Texans like Bush and Cruz, it would be easier for the rest of us to wean off fossil fuels.

Go Texiteers!

I'd say "Get the fuck out of my country", but that wouldn't be polite.
Tom
I'm worried about all the steers and queers that would be very hurt without our normalizing common union.

;)

Actually, it does, simply because of all the mining in WA.
Ah. One of our secret superpowers as well. One of the major reasons, in fact, that Congress will never voluntarily let Texas or California secede.

Back
Top Bottom