• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Anything But Racism Argument.

Were the Jim Crow laws abolished at the end of the Great Depression?
The further we get into the future, the tighter the leftists hold on to the past. Bitter clingers.
That doesn't seem like a fair response. Someone mentions the Great Depression as a bottom point for economics, and generations were then able to move up step by step. But blacks in many areas were held back by Jim Crow laws, even kept from being able to vote... well after the Great Depression. How is that not relevant to the remark regarding the Great Depression?

You were saying some people are tired of saying they are sorry for social ills of the past. The teen was killed by a cop last week. Blacks protested and cops came out in battle gear and had angry dogs with them. I don't recall seeing any of that with recent marches in DC. So the position that all that shit was long ago doesn't have the legs some want to believe it does, especially in places like Missouri.
I would have expected that comment to be in that thread. I understand the relevance...
Then why are you objecting to it being brought up?
...but the fact remains that I don't believe anyone on this board is a cop in Ferguson... so the ire seems misplaced.
Which brings me to my next point. What would the reaction have been if the teen was white?

Why is this discussion about race to begin with? Why isn't this a discussion about how the officer probably didn't have to kill the teen?

Emily Lake said:
I would have expected that comment to be in that thread. I understand the relevance...
:confused: You seem very antagonistic toward my confusion. I don't recall objecting; I recall expressing a lack of understanding as to it's relevance. I did not understand how what you were saying was intended to relate to anything I had said in this thread, in this context. once you clarified, I then expressed that I then understood the relevance, but also attempted to express (politely and humorously) that I thought it would be more suitable in a different thread.
...but the fact remains that I don't believe anyone on this board is a cop in Ferguson... so the ire seems misplaced.
Which brings me to my next point. What would the reaction have been if the teen was white?

Why is this discussion about race to begin with? Why isn't this a discussion about how the officer probably didn't have to kill the teen?
This discussion is about racism, because AthenaAwakened chose the topic, and the topic is "The Anything But Racism Argument", which is implicitly about racism, and how racism is used and viewed in the context of discussions.

This discussion isn't about how the officer probably didn't have to kill the teen, because this discussion isn't about Michael Brown's shooting. There is an entirely different thread for that discussion.

The further we get into the future, the tighter the leftists hold on to the past. Bitter clingers.
That doesn't seem like a fair response. Someone mentions the Great Depression as a bottom point for economics, and generations were then able to move up step by step. But blacks in many areas were held back by Jim Crow laws, even kept from being able to vote... well after the Great Depression. How is that not relevant to the remark regarding the Great Depression?

Jim Crow ended when? And it wasn't in all of the country. The generation that grew up in the great depression was prosperous by the 1950's and 1960's. So 20 - 30 years? Using some past historical event that occurred long before you were born to wallow in pity is a cop out. It's an excuse. I suppose we could all do that to explain away our failures and misfortunes in life. Damn Normans, the residual effects of that invasion still keeps down Anglo-Saxons today!

You think that characteristic is confined to "leftists"? Wow.

No. I was purposefully using this characterization because people on the far left use it against people on the far right; when people on the far left are just as irrational about their sacred cows as those on the far right. Irony.

Jim Crow ended when?

Not really until 1960s, which is within the lifetime of nearly all blacks over 50 and after their parents' birth for the vast majority of adult blacks alive today.

And it wasn't in all of the country.
It was in places where a huge % of blacks lived and had lived for generations.
In addition, it isn't just formal Jim Crow laws, but the widespread organized discrimination by whites that continued well after. The fact that whites controlled the local economies meant that this created a form of economic depression for blacks that was outside their control in a way that was at least as true as the Great Depression created poverty among otherwise skilled and hardworking white people.

The generation that grew up in the great depression was prosperous by the 1950's and 1960's. So 20 - 30 years?
They had the post WW II economic boom to take advantage of and that blacks were largely prevented from taking advantage of.
In addition, their economic depression didn't last a single decade but 500 years and the entire lifetime of the grandparents of most blacks alive today. That kind of stable, never-known-anything-different "fuck you" from the Universe tends to infect people's outlook and shape culture that takes much longer to shed onself of after it finally ends.

Using some past historical event that occurred long before you were born to wallow in pity is a cop out. It's an excuse.
Its a scientifically grounded causal explanation for group level differences. "Cop out" and "excuse" is your moral judgment of it, causal influence is scientific fact and the same factors impact most people of all races, so it is not a racial susceptibility to getting fucked, its an objective difference in just how fucked and for how long.
Whether its wise for blacks to focus upon those historical impacts, define themselves and others by race and thus by inferred "privilege", etc. is another issue. But to deny the objective fact that they got fucked long and hard until a generation ago and to deny the inherent psychological impact this has, and to deny that you and most non-blacks would likely suffer the same effects is irrational at the level of being a young-Earth-Creationist.

You previously agreed with my critique of the blatant anti-reason of the critique of the "Anything but racism" theory cited by AA. You can't endorse rational causal reasoning when it suits your ideological goals then abandon it and attack it as "excuse making" when you don't like its conclusions.

Can you summarize what we should take from this unpublished, non peer-reviewed, data-free essay written by someone with zero 1st author publications in the last 20 years, and only 7 in his entire 30 year career?

Here is his concluding idea: (I corrected his typo since no reviewers or editors have read his essay in order to point out the error)

The challenge for social scientists in is to abandon the search for alternative explanations
and involve themselves in the study of how racism is created, sustained and the
mechanisms through which it impacts all of our lives.

IOW, do the exact opposite of what is the very heart of all rational thinking and all of science by ignoring any and all ideas except your preconceived notions. Spoken like a true pseudo-intellectual post-modern religionist who knows that opposing the principles of rational thought is the only way to defend his faith-based beliefs.

I will be sure to warn people NC State is not a good place for a valid education in Sociology.

I didn't get that far before giving up on his garbage when I realized he was heading towards an it-must-be-racism answer.

You previously agreed with my critique of the blatant anti-reason of the critique of the "Anything but racism" theory cited by AA. You can't endorse rational causal reasoning when it suits your ideological goals then abandon it and attack it as "excuse making" when you don't like its conclusions.

I accept your critique. I was simply stating that pointing to some past historical event as the reason for your misfortune is a cop out. Moral judgment or not. We all make decisions in life, whether we acknowledgment them or not. When you were assigned home work - do you do it? Do you pay attention in class? Did you act out? Did you skip class? Did you apply for honors or AP courses, or did you chose regular or remedial classes because they were easy? Did you stay out all night hanging out or did you go to bed to get a good night sleep? Did you get in to fights? Did you respect the authority of adults? Did you do drugs? I make these points because my upbringing may be different than others. I moved around a bit. I went to an inner-city school (got to experience cracker day). I went to schools which were minority-majority. And as scandalous as it it may be to write it, my experience was that certain minority groups just did not care about their education, participation, or their own future. Regardless of how devoted the teacher. Things may have changed in ~20 years. But if you were to tell me that a number of my former minority classmates earn incomes substantially less than me, or that they were wrapped up in the criminal just system, my response would be, well, that figures. How you behave early in life has great consequence later in life. To say, well, my poor life station is due to some long-ago historical event, and ignore your own life decisions, is a cop out.

You seem to have me confused with someone else (I'm not talking about searches).

You responded to Jimmy
Good. We have established that I am not Jimmy.

My critique still applies. If cops are going out of there way to invent...
They need not "invent" anything. All it takes is a lack of care in serving the warrant accurately.

The searches themselves
... are irrelevant. We still need to know the disposition of those arrested -- search or no search -- in order to make a statement as to how many of those arrests were actually justified.

Here's the thing though: nobody actually does that. Most of the recognitions of the EXISTENCE of racism are being made by people who are looking to advocate some kind of constructive reform and would prefer to have a dialog on how to move forward.

The problem is, a conversation starts with:
"So, you started with an inherent advantage over everyone else that your family obtained by exploiting my family..."
Is usually interrupted by the other side saying:
"I fail to see how holding me accountable for the actions of my family, and expecting me to feel guilt and remorse over what someone else did, accomplishes or furthers that goal."

The introduction of defensiveness is where the entire dialog shuts down. Because you are insecure about what you have and whether or not you really deserve it, you are much less comfortable discussing a subject of how to help people who didn't have that same advantage; there's always that fear, never far from the surface, that YOU are somehow going to end up being held accountable for the disparity.

The defensiveness occurs, in my opinion, because the topic is introduced in an accusatory manner. YOU have an UNFAIR advantage because YOUR people EXPLOITED MY people. The message being given is that YOU specifically did something BAD AND WRONG AND SHAMEFUL and that you have something that you shouldn't have and have no right to - that your having it is tantamount to theft because it is ill-gotten.
Here's the thing:

Almost all of the accusatory language in that statement has been supplied by you. The following terms:
- unfair
- bad
- wrong
- shameful
- have no right to
- tantamount to theft

Are NOT found in the statement you quoted. They are the product of your emotional response to that statement as the implications of it sink in. The result is that instead of arguing with what the statement says -- that you have an advantage you inherited through your family's exploitation -- you begin arguing with how the statement makes you feel: like a bad, wrong, shameful cheater.

It's sort of like that old comedy routine:
Mike: John, you have pretty unusual tastes in music, are you--
John: No, I'm not gay! Who told you I was gay?! That's a goddamn lie and I don't know how that damn rumor got started!
Mike: Um... I was... going to ask if you were a fan of Bjork.
John: Oh... um... right....
Mike: Which brings <ahem> me to my next question...

And because it's couched in divisive accusatory terms
If would be much easier to support that argument if it ACTUALLY WAS couched in divisive, accusatory terms. The broader problem is the fact that you feel divided and accused by what the statement represents doesn't make the statement untrue. Nor does it change the fact that you are at least as insecure about your past as black people are about their futures.

When this discussion comes up, you have a simple choice: guard your insecurities and expect others to be sensitive of them*, or move PAST those insecurities and think constructively. BOTH parties actually have this same choice, the only difference is the what they're insecure about.

Perhaps if the conversation started with "A part of our history involved a systematic discrimination against a group of people for no reason except the color of their skin and their racial heritage. As a result of that systematic historical discrimination, many problems persist in our society that haven't been fully addressed."
Because the only way you're willing to rationally discuss the subject is if the entire world goes out of its way to avoid mentioning the IDENTITY of the people who implemented that system in the first place.

*But they won't, because they don't know or care what's going on in your head, and frankly they shouldn't have to psychoanalyze you just to have a coherent discussion about sensitive topics.

See how there's no "you" or "your" and no "my" or "I"? There's no divisiveness
There's also no recognition of the problem. That's the thing you seem to be missing in all of this: the disparity of advantages is part of the problem.

Put that in the context of two roomates arguing over the rent:
Mike: "So, I have forty thousand dollars in student loan debt, and you have a trust fund because your parents are oil tycoons..."
John: "I fail to see how holding me accountable for the actions of my parents, and expecting me to feel guilt and remorse over what someone else did, in any way changes the fact that you haven't paid your half of the rent."

The generation that grew up in the great depression was prosperous by the 1950's and 1960's. So 20 - 30 years?
They had the post WW II economic boom to take advantage of and that blacks were largely prevented from taking advantage of.
Not all of them. That actually counts as a pretty strong data point too: it's been my experience that black families that at present time find themselves solidly in the middle or lower-middle class are usually descended from those that managed to get in on the post-war boom. The most common method is through the GI Bill: black soldiers returning from the war were able to get college educations and subsidies that opened opportunities they never would have had otherwise. The second most common seems to be public sector jobs (e.g. teachers, postal workers, public transportation). Union jobs was another contributor, but not all unions actually were inclusive of black workers (some of them still aren't).

By the 1970s, the momentum from the postwar boom had started to dry up; the oil crisis siphoned a lot of strength out of the economy, and and black workers who were already marginal -- both by tradition and by lack of specialization -- were the first to feel the burn. Those families that were already middle class by then were able to survive until things started to improve in the 80s; those that were still blue collar got pushed WAY to the back of the line and ended up in the ghetto.

Basically, the entire working class had its knees kicked out from under it in the 70s and the 80s and barely recovered in the aftermath; working class blacks were already highly vulnerable at the time, so they were hit the hardest. At the end of the day, reconstruction of the working class IN GENERAL would be beneficial; in that case, the only outstanding question is how to create safeguards so the most vulnerable subgroups of the working class don't get screwed over if the economy goes into another decline.

The defensiveness occurs, in my opinion, because the topic is introduced in an accusatory manner...

Almost all of the accusatory language in that statement has been supplied by you. The following terms:
- unfair
- bad
- wrong
- shameful
- have no right to
- tantamount to theft

Are NOT found in the statement you quoted. They are the product of your emotional response to that statement as the implications of it sink in. The result is that instead of arguing with what the statement says -- that you have an advantage you inherited through your family's exploitation -- you begin arguing with how the statement makes you feel: like a bad, wrong, shameful cheater.

It's sort of like that old comedy routine:... (a person in denial)

...The broader problem is the fact that you feel divided and accused by what the statement represents doesn't make the statement untrue. Nor does it change the fact that you are at least as insecure about your past as black people are about their futures.

When this discussion comes up, you have a simple choice: guard your insecurities and expect others to be sensitive of them*, or move PAST those insecurities and think constructively. BOTH parties actually have this same choice, the only difference is the what they're insecure about.

Perhaps if the conversation started with "A part of our history involved a systematic discrimination against a group of people for no reason except the color of their skin and their racial heritage. As a result of that systematic historical discrimination, many problems persist in our society that haven't been fully addressed."

Because the only way you're willing to rationally discuss the subject is if the entire world goes out of its way to avoid mentioning the IDENTITY of the people who implemented that system in the first place.

*But they won't, because they don't know or care what's going on in your head, and frankly they shouldn't have to psychoanalyze you just to have a coherent discussion about sensitive topics.

There's also no recognition of the problem. That's the thing you seem to be missing in all of this: the disparity of advantages is part of the problem.

Put that in the context of two roomates arguing over the rent:
Mike: "So, I have forty thousand dollars in student loan debt, and you have a trust fund because your parents are oil tycoons..."
John: "I fail to see how holding me accountable for the actions of my parents, and expecting me to feel guilt and remorse over what someone else did, in any way changes the fact that you haven't paid your half of the rent."

Crazy Eddie,

Ms. Lake has always been reflective and mindful of competing arguments, so much so I think your attempt to discredit her by making her feelings "the problem" is a cruel and needless ploy. Anytime you make a poster a target, and it is suggested "you have an advantage you inherited through your family's exploitation" that is getting personal, and you are going to get a response expressing their feelings.

By the way, I am not unfamiliar with your watered down "re-education" techniques, having had a similar but far more intense exposure in a UC Berkeley education department course on multi-multiculturalism - the purpose of which was to "get personal" to shame the white student to the point he/she sees that in spite of their professed innocence, their guilty feelings are part of their racism and privilege, and that they must confess and expunge themselves (my favorite part was there showing a film of the bawling white guy who was surrounded and personally critiqued till he saw the light).

When you claim that "they shouldn't have to psychoanalyze you", really mean you'd LOVE to make her the subject and psychologically analyze her, to make her understand that her feelings are a sign of something darker and more sinister while YOU are a man of enlightened virtue.

Nice try.
Max P.

Last edited:
Crazy Eddie said:
"So, you started with an inherent advantage over everyone else that your family obtained by exploiting my family..."

If that was what people actually said and it was true, I really wouldn't have so much of a problem with it. But I have never once heard that.

No, it is always broader than that. It is never "your family" and "my family". It is always "your people" and "my people", usually referring to race, often "white" and "black". This is then applied to "whites" including people who have no such family history, are poor and disadvantaged, and even those who are recent immigrants and have no family history in your country at all. It is used to justify preferential treatment for everybody in the "black" (or other identified) category, including those who are already quite privileged and those who are recent immigrants and have no past family history in your country at all.

If we can start looking at individuals and their family histories, that would be a great leap forward... towards looking at individuals themselves.

:confused: You seem very antagonistic toward my confusion.
You think the above was antagonistic?
I don't recall objecting; I recall expressing a lack of understanding as to it's relevance.
I'll take passive aggressive for $1000 Alex.
I did not understand how what you were saying was intended to relate to anything I had said in this thread, in this context. once you clarified, I then expressed that I then understood the relevance, but also attempted to express (politely and humorously) that I thought it would be more suitable in a different thread.
Oh... a daily double!!!

So this thread is alright for expressing why the poor trooden whites are suffering from the fatigue of alleged guilt over crimes against humanity hundreds of years ago, but we aren't allowed to address contemporary problems that may help explain why we see what we see today.

This discussion is about racism, because AthenaAwakened chose the topic, and the topic is "The Anything But Racism Argument", which is implicitly about racism, and how racism is used and viewed in the context of discussions.
I don't understand why you are so antagonistic to my response.

Not all of them.

Irrelevant. All that matters for the discussion at hand is that blacks had the obstacles that whites had, plus many more and much greater obstacles impeding their ability to benefit for the post WW II. This is an undeniably significant causal factor responsible for the lower incomes, less job related skills, and less education of blacks on average than whites on average.

That actually counts as a pretty strong data point too: it's been my experience that black families that at present time find themselves solidly in the middle or lower-middle class are usually descended from those that managed to get in on the post-war boom.

So then you are acknowledging that how well people do is heavily determined by the situation that they are born into, including their parents income, education, and general social resources available to them. Good, that is a start, because one cannot acknowledge that fact and reasonably deny the extreme disadvantage that most blacks were born into compared to most whites. Although the size of the disadvantage and the % of blacks to which the term "most" applies have both steadily decreased, that disadvantage remains on average and the magnitude gets bigger and bigger to a very extreme degree as you go back for centuries.

The most common method is through the GI Bill: black soldiers returning from the war were able to get college educations and subsidies that opened opportunities they never would have had otherwise. The second most common seems to be public sector jobs (e.g. teachers, postal workers, public transportation). Union jobs was another contributor, but not all unions actually were inclusive of black workers (some of them still aren't).

I am not claiming that blacks had zero opportunities, but very few of them compared to whites and almost no higher paying opportunities (e.g., blacks who earned a college degree via the GI bill were still not even considered for most jobs requiring a college degree). The kinds of opportunities to get any real wealth out of the boom were virtually non-existent for blacks. The rise in their average wealth from 1940 to 1960 was much smaller than for whites, and was due to fewer opportunities and just down right legal prohibitions on what they could do.
The primary determinant for success are the number and variety of opportunities to succeed. Whites coming out of depression poverty had many times more opportunities to improve their situation than blacks did

By the 1970s, the momentum from the postwar boom had started to dry up; the oil crisis siphoned a lot of strength out of the economy, and and black workers who were already marginal -- both by tradition and by lack of specialization -- were the first to feel the burn. Those families that were already middle class by then were able to survive until things started to improve in the 80s; those that were still blue collar got pushed WAY to the back of the line and ended up in the ghetto.

I agree with all of that. What that means is that black had about 10 years of anything resembling legal equality and freedom, before things went to shit. And since most of them, no matter how hard working and skilled, would have still been at the bottom rungs of "Blue collar" they got especially fucked.
Did many whites also get fucked? Yes. Are many whites today in their 20s to 40s children of economic struggle with a mediocre education, uneducated parents, and no inherited money or other resources? Yes. Are people who claim that all whites are "privileged" and should feel so wrong? Yes.
But it is critical not to ignore that the effects of slavery and racism are still a/the major cause of why black communities on average have less education, less wealth, less skills, and more crime. This is true even though there is variability in those communities and some people do more with what they have than others, just as is true of every group. Also, because physical and social communities are still centered around racial lines, even a black kid born with middle class parents is still likely to live in a neighborhood with more crime, worse schools, more friends getting in trouble, and fewer friends with any chance to go to college.
This is a mechanism by which a disadvantageous environment can be basically "inherited" independent of one's personal family wealth and education level.
Again, there are are % of whites born into much worse situations than many blacks. Policies and ideologies that ignore this are destructive, unjust, and racist. However, rational beliefs about why group level differences exist must be cognizant of the many direct and indirect factors that have and do create more obstacles for blacks on average.

How all this related to the OP is that, we must recognize that racism exists (something that the OP has yet to show anyone denies), and that the effects of racism continue to this day and will continue for generations, impacting group-level differences and creating more obstacles for the average black person than the average white person. However, it is fallacy to go from this to concluding than any bad outcome for a black person or any and every disparity between a sample of whites and blacks on any given variable is evidence of racism, especially racism by any of the more immediate actors in the situation rather than residual effects of historical racism. Making this inference to specific situations requires more direct evidence and all rational consideration of evidence requires consideration of alternative explanations for that evidence and asking "given everything else we know, would we expect to observe the same data even if no direct racism was responsible for the outcome?" This modest request for rational evidence-based thinking is what the OP objects to and is the real perspective that the "Anything but Racism" argument is a dishonest misrepresentation of.

the anything but racism meme grows out of the colorblindness as a cure for racism belief. If we can just not see color, then there can be not racism.

Here is what the American Psychiatric Association has said about that belief

Over the past 2 decades scholars and popular authors have written about racial color-blindness as a way to characterize racial beliefs in the post–civil rights era. At its core, racial color-blindness refers to the belief that racism is a thing of the past and that race no longer plays a role in understanding people’s lived experience. Conceptually, racial color-blindness has its roots in the law field and traditionally has been applied mainly to the Constitution. More recently, scholars have redefined the term to better capture the new social relations within the current racial climate. As early as 1997, the field of psychology questioned the underlying assumption that ignoring race and color was a desirous and appropriate approach to interracial interactions. In a pamphlet on color-blind racial attitudes, the American Psychological Association (APA) concluded that “research conducted for more than two decades strongly supports the view that we cannot be nor should we become, color-blind” (p. 3). The APA further provided a critique of the color-blind perspective, arguing that a color-blind approach “ignores research showing that, even among well-intentioned people, skin color...figures prominently in everyday attitudes and behavior” (p. 2). The APA thus argued that to get beyond racism it is essential to take into account differences between the lived experiences of people

http://www.sagepub.com/healeyregc6e/study/chapter/encycarticles/ch11/NEVILL~1.PDF

This is then applied to "whites" including people who have no such family history, are poor and disadvantaged, and even those who are recent immigrants and have no family history in your country at all. It is used to justify preferential treatment for everybody in the "black" (or other identified) category, including those who are already quite privileged and those who are recent immigrants and have no past family history in your country at all.

If we can start looking at individuals and their family histories, that would be a great leap forward... towards looking at individuals themselves.

Here's a true story. Recent immigrants come to America. They are Germans. They arrive fairly poor and make their home in the USA. They have 5 children, all born in the USA. These children only speak german at home, so when they get to Kindergarten, they learn english. By middle school, they are indistinguishable from any other white student and receive preferential treatment over black americans in housing, availability of activities, loans, treatment by police and educational opportunities.

They had nothing whatsoever to do with slavery but they very definitely benefitted from being white in america while the people who were black in the same town - did not. Those people had a more crowded school, less housing opportunity, less work opportunity. And less advantageous outcome. In other words, the white German immigrants and their children benefitted at the expense of their black neighbors, who did not get the same opportunities to compete for the same jobs. Because the labor pool was smaller - excluding the black workers - it was easier to get a job than if the labor pool had been all white.

the anything but racism meme grows out of the colorblindness as a cure for racism belief. If we can just not see color, then there can be not racism.

Here is what the American Psychiatric Association has said about that belief

Over the past 2 decades scholars and popular authors have written about racial color-blindness as a way to characterize racial beliefs in the post–civil rights era. At its core, racial color-blindness refers to the belief that racism is a thing of the past and that race no longer plays a role in understanding people’s lived experience. Conceptually, racial color-blindness has its roots in the law field and traditionally has been applied mainly to the Constitution. More recently, scholars have redefined the term to better capture the new social relations within the current racial climate. As early as 1997, the field of psychology questioned the underlying assumption that ignoring race and color was a desirous and appropriate approach to interracial interactions. In a pamphlet on color-blind racial attitudes, the American Psychological Association (APA) concluded that “research conducted for more than two decades strongly supports the view that we cannot be nor should we become, color-blind” (p. 3). The APA further provided a critique of the color-blind perspective, arguing that a color-blind approach “ignores research showing that, even among well-intentioned people, skin color...figures prominently in everyday attitudes and behavior” (p. 2). The APA thus argued that to get beyond racism it is essential to take into account differences between the lived experiences of people

http://www.sagepub.com/healeyregc6e/study/chapter/encycarticles/ch11/NEVILL~1.PDF

First, your OP and your other link to that Sociologist hack, go way beyond anything in this quote or anything that even the APA (not a bastion of scientific rigor) would likely endorse (though maybe I give them too much credit). Arguing that we should not be blind to the impact that race has on people's experiences (all that the quote above really says), doesn't endorse the idea of dismissing rational evidence-based evaluation of specific claims of racist influence which includes consideration of alternative influences on the data, which is the kind of epitome of anti-intellectualism that your OP and that other link argued for.

As to the validity of the APA quote, it mostly red herring bullshit based upon a patently false assumption that "color-blindness refers to the belief that racism is a thing of the past and that race no longer plays a role in understanding people’s lived experience." That's absurd revisionist history invented by pseudo-intellectuals who can't publish unless they make shit up. The concept refers to the idea that one should not use racial profiling or the racial category an individual belongs to make positive or negative evaluations of them, and instead should consider the actual traits and actual experiences an individual has. It means, one should actually consider the lives people have led and not assume it based upon racial group.
The whole anti color-blind agenda (doesn't qualify as a theory) is to conflate the very different issues of "How does race lead to different average/typical experiences at the group level" with "On what basis should I evaluate the individual person in front of me". It conflates group level differences with individual differences and assumes that the same difference between the group level averages applies to every possible pairwise comparison between all individuals of each group.

Back
Top Bottom