• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Bible

Sorry, Mr. Higgins, I'm not sure I know what you mean by this. The pagan doctrine of the Trinity, adopted by the apostate Christian church confuses the matter a great deal. First of all, what is meant by all powerful God? Only Jehovah was called God Almighty (Hebrew El Shaddai Genesis 17:1) and Jesus, however, was called a mighty god prophetically at Isaiah 9:6 (Hebrew El Gibbohr). Jesus sacrificed his blood (soul, life) because only he could have. Since Jehovah is a God of Justice, the life, blood or soul of one taken must be replaced. Eye for eye, soul for soul. Adam was created perfect without sin, so when he brought about death to all mankind only the blood of a perfect sinless man could be sacrificed for justice.

Even if that's the case, what exactly was the "sacrifice" that Jesus made? A few days of minor discomfort that he could have stepped away from at any time in exchange for an eternity ruling Heaven? I sacrifice more when I say no to a birthday cake at the office because I don't want to ruin my dinner - at least I'm put out to an insignificant degree with that.
I think today's SMBC (think of it as an S&M BC comic, just for today), may help you a bit with perspective. We are familiar with the concept that babies are little assholes, who complain for no reason. So... without further ado:

smbc612015.jpg

Attachments

• 1433171256-20150601.png
    1433171256-20150601.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 1
A limited time engagement, no notice. There was talk of a huge return back to the stage, but that fell through. You knew that was what I was referring to.

No, you see, when angels take the form of men they produce that body for their purposes and then leave that body and return to spirit form. What usually happens to the body? I don't know, except for the case of those in the days of Noah who mated with human females and perished in the flood, and Jesus. Michael, the firstborn only begotten son (meaning the first of Jehovah's creation and the only part of his creation that was created exclusively by Jehovah, for through him (Michael) all things were created by Jehovah through Michael) became the human embryo in Mary's womb. He grew to be a man, perfect without sin. Only Jesus was without sin because he wasn't conceived in the usual way, thus inheriting the sin we all inherit. Anyway, when he sacrificed his body that body was dead and taken away to be buried by the angels like Moses had been. After three days in the abyss Michael returned in another body similar to the one he had used as Jesus, this is why some who knew him didn't recognize him at first. You see, he couldn't have used the very body he had sacrificed.

If you want to argue that, you'll need to start a different thread.

Well, it had to do with his not returning in physical form, which was brought up in the thread. Skeptic's can't criticize Jesus for not yet returning when in fact he was never meant or thought to. It's a linguistic and theological fallacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if that's the case, what exactly was the "sacrifice" that Jesus made? A few days of minor discomfort that he could have stepped away from at any time in exchange for an eternity ruling Heaven? I sacrifice more when I say no to a birthday cake at the office because I don't want to ruin my dinner - at least I'm put out to an insignificant degree with that.
I think today's SMBC (think of it as an S&M BC comic, just for today), may help you a bit with perspective. We are familiar with the concept that babies are little assholes, who complain for no reason. So... without further ado:

View attachment 3187

I don't understand what this means.

Just think of it as an opportunity for smacking lobbed softballs over the fence to help any of those in the Peanut Gallery that are still pondering their own understanding of their faith or lack there of.

On nearly every atheist / skeptical / free thought forums I post I get apologies in private by regular posters who think their contemporary posters are xenophobic, intolerant assholes incapable of simple discussion / debate.

Just think of it as an opportunity for smacking lobbed softballs over the fence to help any of those in the Peanut Gallery that are still pondering their own understanding of their faith or lack there of.

On nearly every atheist / skeptical / free thought forums I post I get apologies in private by regular posters who think their contemporary posters are xenophobic, intolerant assholes incapable of simple discussion / debate.
yeah, but you believe everything you read.

What does that have to do with what I said? Getting debunked isn't the same as being flamed.

No, you see, when angels take the form of men they produce that body for their purposes and then leave that body and return to spirit form. What usually happens to the body? I don't know, except for the case of those in the days of Noah who mated with human females and perished in the flood, and Jesus. Michael, the firstborn only begotten son (meaning the first of Jehovah's creation and the only part of his creation that was created exclusively by Jehovah, for through him (Michael) all things were created by Jehovah through Michael) became the human embryo in Mary's womb. He grew to be a man, perfect without sin. Only Jesus was without sin because he wasn't conceived in the usual way, thus inheriting the sin we all inherit. Anyway, when he sacrificed his body that body was dead and taken away to be buried by the angels like Moses had been. After three days in the abyss Michael returned in another body similar to the one he had used as Jesus, this is why some who knew him didn't recognize him at first. You see, he couldn't have used the very body he had sacrificed.
...because God is limited as to what they can do?

What does that have to do with what I said? Getting debunked isn't the same as being flamed.

But it has everything to do with trying to convince yourself that you're just here for simple discussion and not witnessing.

Could you please elaborate on that whole eye for an eye thing and how that applies to the discussion.

If the meaning of the Bible is the vindication of Jehovah God's name through the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus, which it is, the sacrifice can be seen as having taken place for the sake of justice. Jehovah is a God of justice. In the Bible the soul as we call it (actually a poor translation due to its pagan origin) is the blood, the life, and the life experience of any breathing creature. It was sacred, so when God gave us permission to eat meat after the flood, it was with the stipulation that the blood be poured out on the ground and not eaten in acknowledgement and respect of the fact that life, the soul, was sacred to God, who had given it.

If a man was murdered outside of a town and no one knew who the killer was, so that the blood of the killer couldn't be taken in return for justice, then a bull had to be sacrificed and it's blood spilled in order to remove the blood guilt of that town.

If you knocked out someones tooth then you receive the same for the sake of justice. Adam caused the death of everyone who would follow him, and so for Jehovah to accept justice there had to be an equal sacrifice to release mankind of the death, through sin, we inherited from Adam.

Man may have been created without sin, but he wasn't perfect.

Perfect in Jehovah's eyes much like a baby is perfect in it's parents eyes. A baby is fat, bald, toothless, hairless, can't talk, walk, feed itself or go to the bathroom, but in the eyes of it's parents it is perfect in potential.

Man in the Garden did no such thing regarding bringing about death. The only long-term thing Man and Woman did was to grant people knowledge of all things (well, most things).

The tree of the knowledge of good and bad didn't represent knowledge in a general sense, it represented, to Adam, the importance of Jehovah's guidance and protection. His sovereignty. God's rest in his creation work, the seventh day, wasn't for the sake of God's resting from being tired, it was a long period of time in which he would step aside and allow mankind to fulfill their purpose of multiplying and subduing the Earth. Though most likely meant to last thousands of years, the sin (sin means literally to miss the mark set by someone, in this case God) caused a brief (relatively speaking, since we were meant to live forever) delay. That is why thousands of years later David said we (being mankind having inherited sin) couldn't enter into, and Paul, still thousands of years later confirmed the seventh day continuing on in his day. It goes on today, and will continue until the end of Satan, sin and death, and we, like the angels, have matured so that we know it is best and wise to adhere to the guidance and protection of our creator. Until then we will only bring destruction upon ourselves and our creation. (John 5:16, 17 / Psalm 95:10,*11 / Hebrews 4:3, 4, 6,*9)

The angel later known as Satan (meaning resister / adversary) challenged Jehovah's sovereignty, you see?
Not in the Tanakh I don't.

Genesis 3:6

1Now the serpent was cunning, more than all the beasts of the field that the Lord God had made, and it said to the woman, "Did God indeed say, 'You shall not eat of any of the trees of the garden?'" אוְהַנָּחָשׁ הָיָה עָרוּם מִכֹּל חַיַּת הַשָּׂדֶה אֲשֶׁר עָשָׂה יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהִים וַיֹּאמֶר אֶל הָאִשָּׁה אַף כִּי אָמַר אֱלֹהִים לֹא תֹאכְלוּ מִכֹּל עֵץ הַגָּן:
2And the woman said to the serpent, "Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat. בוַתֹּאמֶר הָאִשָּׁה אֶל הַנָּחָשׁ מִפְּרִי עֵץ הַגָּן נֹאכֵל:
3But of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, God said, "You shall not eat of it, and you shall not touch it, lest you die.'" גוּמִפְּרִי הָעֵץ אֲשֶׁר בְּתוֹךְ הַגָּן אָמַר אֱלֹהִים לֹא תֹאכְלוּ מִמֶּנּוּ וְלֹא תִגְּעוּ בּוֹ פֶּן תְּמֻתוּן:
4And the serpent said to the woman, "You will surely not die. דוַיֹּאמֶר הַנָּחָשׁ אֶל הָאִשָּׁה לֹא מוֹת תְּמֻתוּן:
5For God knows that on the day that you eat thereof, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like angels, knowing good and evil." הכִּי יֹדֵעַ אֱלֹהִים כִּי בְּיוֹם אֲכָלְכֶם מִמֶּנּוּ וְנִפְקְחוּ עֵינֵיכֶם וִהְיִיתֶם כֵּאלֹהִים יֹדְעֵי טוֹב וָרָע:
6And the woman saw that the tree was good for food and that it was a delight to the eyes, and the tree was desirable to make one wise; so she took of its fruit, and she ate, and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. ווַתֵּרֶא הָאִשָּׁה כִּי טוֹב הָעֵץ לְמַאֲכָל וְכִי תַאֲוָה הוּא לָעֵינַיִם וְנֶחְמָד הָעֵץ לְהַשְׂכִּיל וַתִּקַּח מִפִּרְיוֹ וַתֹּאכַל וַתִּתֵּן גַּם לְאִישָׁהּ עִמָּהּ וַיֹּאכַל:

In a sense, the authority of his name. His sense of justice. He, the Devil (Greek diabolos, meaning slanderer / acuser).

Since the angels in their myriads, who had been around for, most likely a great period of time before man was created, had witnessed this challenge, so it is more important than mankind's salvation.
You are beginning to swerve into Fan-Fic here.

Job 38:7 The angels are obviously interested in Jehovah's new creation. If Jehovah's name and what it stands for is challenged, and the angels see that it effects them as well, as even some were involved in it. But it raises a question, which Jehovah allowed to be explored. Can man survive without God's guidance and protection? If a respected judge is challenged and basically slandered, even if innocent his name, which in a sense represents his authority, is in question. So why don't God step in and stop the suffering we create?

About the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, the Jerusalem Bible of 1966 says: "This knowledge is a privilege which God reserves to himself and which man, by sinning, is to lay hands on, 3:5, 22. Hence it does not mean omniscience, which fallen man does not possess; nor is it moral discrimination, for unfallen man already had it and God could not refuse it to a rational being. It is the power of deciding for himself what is good and what is evil and of acting accordingly, a claim to complete moral independence by which man refuses to recognise his status as a created being. The first sin was an attack on God’s sovereignty, a sin of pride."

That is yet one of a bunch of interpretations that people put forth for The Fall.

Yes. Once one begins to remove the religiosity and pagan influence of Greek philosophy and Babylonian mythology from the Bible, it begins to make a great deal more sense.

But if want to actually know what it really meant, we should really stick to the source material. ~'Man has become like us, knowing of good and evil. He must not eat of the tree of life and live forever."

Okay. Of what evil did God have a knowledge of firsthand?

This gives us a true understanding of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Man is booted from the Garden because Man has become like him, prideful? No. Smart, knowing of things, knowing of all things from good to evil, not morality, but knowledge in general. Just as a side note, it is of interest that the Serpent tells the truth, God has not. They did not die the moment they ate the fruit. They also did learn of all things good and evil. If anything, it appears God boots them from the Garden because he doesn't want competition.

At Genesis 3:17 " But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die." the Hebrew term mohth ta muth is used, which literally means "in dying you shall die." In other words the process of death began then. They began to die. And they did die.

The point I was making was that the effect we of both sides have on the Peanut Gallery is varied, and there always seems to be people hidden in the pack who are more open to discussion, rather than simply wishing the other side would just shut the fuck up and go away.

...because God is limited as to what they can do?

You could say that, sure. God can't lie. God can't pervert justice. God can't deviate from his will and purpose. But I think you missed the point. You can't take back that which you sacrifice. All Jesus needed to provide was his blood, perfect and sinless, therefore acceptable to God for payment of Adam's sin.

But it has everything to do with trying to convince yourself that you're just here for simple discussion and not witnessing.

What do you mean by "witnessing?" I'm discussing the differences we have in the Bible. Are you suggesting that anything positive said about religious texts is proselytizing? Proselytizing is converting someone to ones own religion. First of all, I'm not Christian, Jewish or of any organized religion. Though I am a Bible believer, believer in Jehovah God and the one whom he sent forth, Christ Jesus.

Secondly, I don't believe it is the responsibility of the likes of myself to convert, only to inform. If my information informs you and you decide to reject God then I am satisfied for my part in that your decision is informed, not that it is the same as mine.

What do you mean by "witnessing?"

See, this right here is why I don't believe you're merely here for honest discussion.

I'm discussing the differences we have in the Bible.

What's to discuss? You showed up here at a forum dedicated to free thought which is populated mostly by non-believers and straight away launched into a defense of the Bible. You've admitted to going to other atheist/nonbeliever forums and my guess is that your "mission" at those other boards is similar.

Are you suggesting that anything positive said about religious texts is proselytizing?

Not at all. There is plenty of admirable stuff in many religious texts. Yet you're not coming here to say positive things about many religious texts. You're here to sell the merits of just one, and it appears - judging on your posts so far - that you won't accept any questioning of the merits of the text you came here to promote.

Proselytizing is converting someone to ones own religion. First of all, I'm not Christian, Jewish or of any organized religion. Though I am a Bible believer, believer in Jehovah God and the one whom he sent forth, Christ Jesus.

You forgot to capitalize the h in "He." That aside, your position is not really unique. We've all heard the refrain before "oh, I'm not religious...I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ!" Spare me.

Secondly, I don't believe it is the responsibility of the likes of myself to convert, only to inform.

And political action committees and Super PAC's are not advocating for any one particular candidate...no, they're just out there providing information. :rolleyes:

If my information informs you and you decide to reject God then I am satisfied for my part in that your decision is informed, not that it is the same as mine.

Again, this is the sort of disingenuous doublespeak that makes it impossible to take you seriously. You know what this place is all about. You've spent time at other similar forums filled with people who have "rejected God." We've had the "information" you bring for a long time. Some folks around here have studied your book more than you have. Some rejected "Christ Jesus" after years of believing and in some cases proselytizing. You know the audience here, yet you show up, Bible verses in tow, and set about trying to...what was it you said in the OP? "Vindicate" the Bible.

That Bible which is referred to by some (and you'll no doubt pretend to have never heard this) as the "Gospel of Jesus Christ." You are here to spread that gospel, under the guise of providing "information," and given what you've contributed so far, only a fool would accept your claim that you'd be satisfied with an informed decision to "reject God."

If you were really satisfied with people rejecting your god, then you wouldn't even be here.

Man may have been created without sin, but he wasn't perfect.
Perfect in Jehovah's eyes much like a baby is perfect in it's parents eyes. A baby is fat, bald, toothless, hairless, can't talk, walk, feed itself or go to the bathroom, but in the eyes of it's parents it is perfect in potential.
Not according to Genesis 7:21 where God says man is wicked or evil. Keep in mind that quote speaks specifically to the curse he fell upon man for eating the fruit.

Man in the Garden did no such thing regarding bringing about death. The only long-term thing Man and Woman did was to grant people knowledge of all things (well, most things).
The tree of the knowledge of good and bad didn't represent knowledge in a general sense, it represented, to Adam, the importance of Jehovah's guidance and protection.
That isn't stated in the story. If you want to make up stuff, you may want to start up a thread in Freethought and Humor. You are implying that what made Man like God and whomever else "us" was is was guidance and protection. Genesis 3:22 just doesn't support that.
His sovereignty. God's rest in his creation work, the seventh day, wasn't for the sake of God's resting from being tired, it was a long period of time in which he would step aside and allow mankind to fulfill their purpose of multiplying and subduing the Earth. Though most likely meant to last thousands of years, the sin (sin means literally to miss the mark set by someone, in this case God) caused a brief (relatively speaking, since we were meant to live forever) delay. That is why thousands of years later David said we (being mankind having inherited sin) couldn't enter into, and Paul, still thousands of years later confirmed the seventh day continuing on in his day. It goes on today, and will continue until the end of Satan, sin and death, and we, like the angels, have matured so that we know it is best and wise to adhere to the guidance and protection of our creator. Until then we will only bring destruction upon ourselves and our creation. (John 5:16, 17 / Psalm 95:10,*11 / Hebrews 4:3, 4, 6,*9)
You are going well off topic there.

The angel later known as Satan (meaning resister / adversary) challenged Jehovah's sovereignty, you see?
Not in the Tanakh I don't.

Genesis 3:6

1Now the serpent was cunning, more than all the beasts of the field that the Lord God had made, and it said to the woman, "Did God indeed say, 'You shall not eat of any of the trees of the garden?'" אוְהַנָּחָשׁ הָיָה עָרוּם מִכֹּל חַיַּת הַשָּׂדֶה אֲשֶׁר עָשָׂה יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהִים וַיֹּאמֶר אֶל הָאִשָּׁה אַף כִּי אָמַר אֱלֹהִים לֹא תֹאכְלוּ מִכֹּל עֵץ הַגָּן:
2And the woman said to the serpent, "Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat. בוַתֹּאמֶר הָאִשָּׁה אֶל הַנָּחָשׁ מִפְּרִי עֵץ הַגָּן נֹאכֵל:
3But of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, God said, "You shall not eat of it, and you shall not touch it, lest you die.'" גוּמִפְּרִי הָעֵץ אֲשֶׁר בְּתוֹךְ הַגָּן אָמַר אֱלֹהִים לֹא תֹאכְלוּ מִמֶּנּוּ וְלֹא תִגְּעוּ בּוֹ פֶּן תְּמֻתוּן:
4And the serpent said to the woman, "You will surely not die. דוַיֹּאמֶר הַנָּחָשׁ אֶל הָאִשָּׁה לֹא מוֹת תְּמֻתוּן:
5For God knows that on the day that you eat thereof, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like angels, knowing good and evil." הכִּי יֹדֵעַ אֱלֹהִים כִּי בְּיוֹם אֲכָלְכֶם מִמֶּנּוּ וְנִפְקְחוּ עֵינֵיכֶם וִהְיִיתֶם כֵּאלֹהִים יֹדְעֵי טוֹב וָרָע:
6And the woman saw that the tree was good for food and that it was a delight to the eyes, and the tree was desirable to make one wise; so she took of its fruit, and she ate, and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate. ווַתֵּרֶא הָאִשָּׁה כִּי טוֹב הָעֵץ לְמַאֲכָל וְכִי תַאֲוָה הוּא לָעֵינַיִם וְנֶחְמָד הָעֵץ לְהַשְׂכִּיל וַתִּקַּח מִפִּרְיוֹ וַתֹּאכַל וַתִּתֵּן גַּם לְאִישָׁהּ עִמָּהּ וַיֹּאכַל:
You didn't actually demonstrate your point there.

In a sense, the authority of his name. His sense of justice. He, the Devil (Greek diabolos, meaning slanderer / acuser).

Since the angels in their myriads, who had been around for, most likely a great period of time before man was created, had witnessed this challenge, so it is more important than mankind's salvation.
You are beginning to swerve into Fan-Fic here.

Job 38:7 The angels are obviously interested in Jehovah's new creation. If Jehovah's name and what it stands for is challenged, and the angels see that it effects them as well, as even some were involved in it. But it raises a question, which Jehovah allowed to be explored. Can man survive without God's guidance and protection? If a respected judge is challenged and basically slandered, even if innocent his name, which in a sense represents his authority, is in question. So why don't God step in and stop the suffering we create?
Yes, fan fic. Want to keep the commentary within at least the same book?

About the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, the Jerusalem Bible of 1966 says: "This knowledge is a privilege which God reserves to himself and which man, by sinning, is to lay hands on, 3:5, 22. Hence it does not mean omniscience, which fallen man does not possess; nor is it moral discrimination, for unfallen man already had it and God could not refuse it to a rational being. It is the power of deciding for himself what is good and what is evil and of acting accordingly, a claim to complete moral independence by which man refuses to recognise his status as a created being. The first sin was an attack on God’s sovereignty, a sin of pride."
That is yet one of a bunch of interpretations that people put forth for The Fall.
Yes. Once one begins to remove the religiosity and pagan influence of Greek philosophy and Babylonian mythology from the Bible, it begins to make a great deal more sense.
So if you strip the text you don't want in there, then you get to read what you want to read.

But if want to actually know what it really meant, we should really stick to the source material. ~'Man has become like us, knowing of good and evil. He must not eat of the tree of life and live forever."

Okay. Of what evil did God have a knowledge of firsthand?
Good and evil isn't about morality knowledge. The Knowledge of good and evil is of all things.

This gives us a true understanding of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Man is booted from the Garden because Man has become like him, prideful? No. Smart, knowing of things, knowing of all things from good to evil, not morality, but knowledge in general. Just as a side note, it is of interest that the Serpent tells the truth, God has not. They did not die the moment they ate the fruit. They also did learn of all things good and evil. If anything, it appears God boots them from the Garden because he doesn't want competition.

At Genesis 3:17 " But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die." the Hebrew term mohth ta muth is used, which literally means "in dying you shall die." In other words the process of death began then. They began to die. And they did die.
Oh come on, that is weak. If it were to start death, why indicate "from the moment you eat it"? You seem to want to reinterpret via a more convoluted method than what is straight in the face.

What do you mean by "witnessing?"

See, this right here is why I don't believe you're merely here for honest discussion.

Well, you are witnessing and I am witnessing. We have different perspectives is all. I think that by witnessing you mean to imply a negative, as in proselytizing.

What's to discuss? You showed up here at a forum dedicated to free thought which is populated mostly by non-believers and straight away launched into a defense of the Bible. You've admitted to going to other atheist/nonbeliever forums and my guess is that your "mission" at those other boards is similar.

I always start out with discussion and debate as a priority. I'm retired and spend most of my time working on my website, Pathway Machine, but in doing this I get no feedback. I like to discuss and debate the Bible. In the past when it became apparent that I wasn't going to get that I would often just entertain myself at the willful stupidity of the unwashed heathen. I'm sure many skeptics have done the same with Christian forums, but lately I just leave, as someone suggested earlier in this thread.

Are you suggesting that anything positive said about religious texts is proselytizing?

Not at all. There is plenty of admirable stuff in many religious texts. Yet you're not coming here to say positive things about many religious texts. You're here to sell the merits of just one, and it appears - judging on your posts so far - that you won't accept any questioning of the merits of the text you came here to promote.

Well, first of all, though I have a limited interest and therefore knowledge of other sacred texts, I'm not adverse to them. On my website I have painstakingly published illustrated copies of the following:

The Dhammapada: Buddhist text.
The Four Noble Truths: Buddhist discourse.
The Gospel Of Buddha: Buddhist text.
Paradise Lost: Apostate Christian Poem.
The Divine Comedy: Apostate Christian Poem.
The Analects: Confucian text.
The Works Of Mencius: Confucian text.
The Bhagavad-Gita: Hindu Text.
The Quran: Islamic Text.
The Pirqe Aboth: Jewish text.
The Kojiki: Shinto text.
The Nihongi: Shinto text.
The Tao Te Ching: Taoist text.
The Chuang Tzu: Taoist text.

In the case of the Quran I updated the text by researching Islamic terms and comparing other texts.

Proselytizing is converting someone to ones own religion. First of all, I'm not Christian, Jewish or of any organized religion. Though I am a Bible believer, believer in Jehovah God and the one whom he sent forth, Christ Jesus.

You forgot to capitalize the h in "He."

I normally don't. I think it is unnecessary and perhaps even somewhat pretentious or superstitious.

That aside, your position is not really unique.

No, it isn't, and neither is yours. We, mankind, have had these considerations for some time. Nothing I - nothing we say is original or unique.

We've all heard the refrain before "oh, I'm not religious...I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ!" Spare me.

What always fascinates me about this obviously xenophobic and it seems, defensive response is that it seems nothing more than that. You would silence anyone who doesn't think like you? In the world and / or in a forum on religious texts?

I consider myself religious in a very basic sense, the same as I consider anyone (everyone) having an adherence to a strict set of beliefs are religious in the same basic sense. I loath all organized forms of religion. I strongly believe in a separation of church and state, for the good of both. I'm against prayer in schools, as well as religious instruction in schools. I think all references to God should be taken out of public government buildings, politics and money.

Secondly, I don't believe it is the responsibility of the likes of myself to convert, only to inform.

And political action committees and Super PAC's are not advocating for any one particular candidate...no, they're just out there providing information. :rolleyes:

I don't vote. I don't try and legitimize or enforce my beliefs on anyone else through politics or legislation, I'm apolitical. I think that the apostate Christian's self appointed policing of the globe is repulsive, I am no part of the world beyond what I am forced by geological coincidence. I think that outside the Christian congregation issues like abortion, homosexuality, stem cell research etc. should be left to them to decide just as within the Christian congregation (or any other) they should be left alone to do as they wish.

You don't buy my "mission statement" here? You know . . . it has happened to me many times that atheists call me a liar when I tell them honestly what I believe and I've gotten to the point where I just dismiss it. Fuck 'em, what the hell do I care?

If my information informs you and you decide to reject God then I am satisfied for my part in that your decision is informed, not that it is the same as mine.

Again, this is the sort of disingenuous doublespeak that makes it impossible to take you seriously. You know what this place is all about. You've spent time at other similar forums filled with people who have "rejected God." We've had the "information" you bring for a long time. Some folks around here have studied your book more than you have. Some rejected "Christ Jesus" after years of believing and in some cases proselytizing. You know the audience here, yet you show up, Bible verses in tow, and set about trying to...what was it you said in the OP? "Vindicate" the Bible.

And you can't stand it, can you? You (collectively) don't have the sense to just ignore me? That's your fucking problem, isn't it. Why don't you learn to defend your ignorant position?

That Bible which is referred to by some (and you'll no doubt pretend to have never heard this) as the "Gospel of Jesus Christ." You are here to spread that gospel, under the guise of providing "information," and given what you've contributed so far, only a fool would accept your claim that you'd be satisfied with an informed decision to "reject God."

If you were really satisfied with people rejecting your god, then you wouldn't even be here.

You almost got it right. I'm here because I think that most skeptics are misinformed and I think that if you are going to discuss religious texts, including the one I'm primarily concerned with, The Bible, it wouldn't hurt to have an opinion that differs from your own. If you want, listen to me, but whether you believe me or not, all I'm interested in doing is learning from you (feedback) and hopefully, informing you. I don't see that as different from what Paul, under inspiration of Jehovah God thought. Acts 24:15: "And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous."

well it does seem DLH isn't here to produce God...

And you can't stand it, can you? You (collectively) don't have the sense to just ignore me? That's your fucking problem, isn't it. Why don't you learn to defend your ignorant position?

I'm not the one showing up at your forum demanding to be taken seriously and calling everyone who doesn't agree with me ignorant.

You're here as a guest, and are pissing on the welcome you've been accorded.

Produce God? God is a simple word that doesn't mean a great deal to me. From various Hebrew forms of El, it simply means anyone or anything that is possessing a might greater than that of the atributor or is venerated. The Bible mentions many Gods, some of whom were men (Moses, the judges of Israel who were men and women, some righteous some unrighteous) Jesus, and Tammuz, the Sumerian King. Angels, including Satan, and false idols of the nations such as Baal, Molech, Dagon etc.

I told you earlier I could get you a god. Here's two: Eric Clapton, a guitar god and Brian Warner, aka Marilyn Manson, the god of fuck, who said: "I never really hated a one true god; But the god of the people I hated; You said you wanted evolution; The ape was a great big hit; You say you want a revolution, man; And I say that you're full of shit." That's a good quote.

I'm not the one showing up at your forum demanding to be taken seriously and calling everyone who doesn't agree with me ignorant.

You're here as a guest, and are pissing on the welcome you've been accorded.

Don't patronize me and don't fool yourself into thinking that the only things you want regarding my free thought isn't that it either agrees with yours or is silenced.

Produce God? God is a simple word that doesn't mean a great deal to me. From various Hebrew forms of El, it simply means anyone or anything that is possessing a might greater than that of the atributor or is venerated. The Bible mentions many Gods, some of whom were men (Moses, the judges of Israel who were men and women, some righteous some unrighteous) Jesus, and Tammuz, the Sumerian King. Angels, including Satan, and false idols of the nations such as Baal, Molech, Dagon etc.

I told you earlier I could get you a god. Here's two: Eric Clapton, a guitar god and Brian Warner, aka Marilyn Manson, the god of fuck, who said: "I never really hated a one true god; But the god of the people I hated; You said you wanted evolution; The ape was a great big hit; You say you want a revolution, man; And I say that you're full of shit." That's a good quote.
You can't produce that which you don't understand, right? maybe we're using different definitions? maybe there is a true god to speak of?
maybe that God in Genesis 1:1 you aren't producing.

You can't produce that which you don't understand, right? maybe we're using different definitions? maybe there is a true god to speak of?
maybe that God in Genesis 1:1 you aren't producing.

How would you have me produce a God, for example, Jehovah God of the Bible who created the heavens and earth in Genesis 1:1?

Back
Top Bottom