• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Black Cat Analogy

Coleman Smith

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
View attachment 40851
I disagree. Metaphysics is the discussion of what is meant by "dark" "black" and "cat" so that one has a concept oppose the darkness of the room and a rubric for catness to know what one has found.

All of them are doing metaphysics but the scientist most of all.

View attachment 40851
View attachment 40851
I disagree. Metaphysics is the discussion of what is meant by "dark" "black" and "cat" so that one has a concept oppose the darkness of the room and a rubric for catness to know what one has found.

All of them are doing metaphysics but the scientist most of all.
I'm with the wizard on this one.

Thats funny ...

I might change it to philosophy sitting outside of the room looking for the cat inside. Fundy think type atheist come out of a dark room with a broken nose saying ... "Nope, there aint nothing there.". Engineers set a trap.

For me ... I wish more atheist understood science. I love talking to atheist after saying "yeah, we agree, they are wrong, what do you think?" and getting the theist like special plead of "I am not making any claims past they are wrong." in some form or another. Some atheist are as faith based as their theist counter parts.

BTW, heeding science is kind of short sighted. Its more about doing the best we can to reduce error and lower bias. Remember, any claim with a mechanism, repeatability, and correct predictions are more reliable than those with out it. Period the end. It doesn't matter if they are theist or atheist.

View attachment 40851
Novelists and journalists would say, what are the circumstances that cause the room to be dark? Have mewing or other cat noises been heard? Are we talking about a particular cat possibly being in there or just about a general idea that some sort of cat is/ may be there? Why is this even a concern: Has someone lost an actual cat? Is there a scent of a cat having "marked" the room? Is there a concern that this possible cat may damage part(s) of the room by excreting, scratching? Does anyone know if there's a kitty litter box in the room?

any claim with a mechanism, repeatability, and correct predictions are more reliable than those with out it.
Well... I’m still waiting for a falsifiable hypothesis supported by repeatable observations and both predictive and explanatory powers to emerge from the theist Community.
This OP sounds suspiciously like a political “both sides” assertion.

Why has no one bothered to mention that philosophy and metaphysics are not separate things? Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom