• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Case for Hillary Clinton

James Brown

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic Atheist
Instead of yet another thread explaining why Trump should not win, here's a case for voting for Hillary Clinton, written by Kevin Drum for Mother Jones:

no successful politician is ever perfect. Franklin D. Roosevelt signed on to lots of compromises that liberals detested. Ronald Reagan did the same with conservatives. Clinton will too. There are just too many competing interests in a pluralistic country like America to expect anything else. But all that said, the liberal case for Clinton remains pretty overwhelming. The following list is by no means exhaustive, but here it is:

1. In 1995, despite strong pressure from diplomats and White House aides to remain low-key, she went to China and said, "Human rights are women's rights, and women's rights are human rights."
  2. She worked her heart out for health care reform in 1993.
  3. She now supports Obamacare, and supports expanding it.
  4. She supports increasing the federal minimum wage to $12 per hour. This is good for workers, but less likely to have downsides than a national level of $15.
  5. She supported comprehensive immigration reform in 2007 and continues to support it.

79 others at the link.

Whenever I go out in public here in Texas, I hear no end of reasons why I shouldn't vote for Clinton--most of which boils down to "She's dishonest." These people suspect her of hiding something sinister when she locks the front door of her house when leaving for the day.

What I don't hear from these folks is why I should vote for Donald Trump. ("Because his last name is not Clinton" isn't very compelling.) About the best argument I hear is that he's not Politics-as-Usual. But change-for-change's-sake is too risky, in my opinion, especially in a nuclear age.

Anyway, here are some reasons why I should vote for Hillary Clinton.

'Because her last name is not Trump' works for me...

I agree with James Brown. There are a lot of excellent reasons to vote for HRC beyond 'Not Trump' or the USSC seats.

Good article

I don't know how the Trumpsters rationalize all of Trump's outright lies to cause him to appear honest in their minds, while Clinton is dishonest because..... emails + Benghazi? She has championed every cause that Trump calls his own for her entire life, while Trump was busy enriching himself at the expense of the people he claims to represent....

while Clinton is dishonest because..... emails + Benghazi?

I'm actually "discussing" this with someone on Reddit (I know, I know) and apparently the reason that Hillary is not currently languishing in federal prison is because FBI Director Comey (you know, the guy who was Ashcroft's Assistant AG during the Bush administration) is totally in the tank for Clinton and is protecting her to keep his job.

Also, the entire Department of Justice is corrupt and protecting her as well.

While I am not the biggest Clinton fan in the world, she has done a lot of good things so it's safe to vote for her. She will be a s good a president as the Congress will allow her to be.

And I can't vote for Trump because of his policies.

So it's both for Clinton and Against Trump, not one or the other.

It is not saying much to say she supports this incredibly flawed system: Obamacare.

It would be praiseworthy to say she supports full Medicare for all.

Her only positive is that the other guy is worse and there is nobody better running.

It is a sad statement on American politics. She is going to be the first female president, and win the presidency with historically low favourables.

while Clinton is dishonest because..... emails + Benghazi?

I'm actually "discussing" this with someone on Reddit (I know, I know) and apparently the reason that Hillary is not currently languishing in federal prison is because FBI Director Comey (you know, the guy who was Ashcroft's Assistant AG during the Bush administration) is totally in the tank for Clinton and is protecting her to keep his job.

Also, the entire Department of Justice is corrupt and protecting her as well.
And what's keeping the neocons, the previous secretaries of state and the previous presidents and staff out of jail? What did Clinton do that previous administrators hadn't done more often, more egregiously or with more harmful consequences?

Clinton, it seems to me, knows the system, works hard and often does the right thing -- when she's actually presented with the facts of the matter.

One of my major worries are the probable four supreme court justices likely to be appointed during the next administration. A single supreme court ruling can have huge and long lived consequences, and rulings have often hinged on a single justice.

Instead of yet another thread explaining why Trump should not win, here's a case for voting for Hillary Clinton, written by Kevin Drum for Mother Jones:

no successful politician is ever perfect. Franklin D. Roosevelt signed on to lots of compromises that liberals detested. Ronald Reagan did the same with conservatives. Clinton will too. There are just too many competing interests in a pluralistic country like America to expect anything else. But all that said, the liberal case for Clinton remains pretty overwhelming. The following list is by no means exhaustive, but here it is:

1. In 1995, despite strong pressure from diplomats and White House aides to remain low-key, she went to China and said, "Human rights are women's rights, and women's rights are human rights."
  2. She worked her heart out for health care reform in 1993.
  3. She now supports Obamacare, and supports expanding it.
  4. She supports increasing the federal minimum wage to $12 per hour. This is good for workers, but less likely to have downsides than a national level of $15.
  5. She supported comprehensive immigration reform in 2007 and continues to support it.

79 others at the link.

Whenever I go out in public here in Texas, I hear no end of reasons why I shouldn't vote for Clinton--most of which boils down to "She's dishonest." These people suspect her of hiding something sinister when she locks the front door of her house when leaving for the day.

What I don't hear from these folks is why I should vote for Donald Trump. ("Because his last name is not Clinton" isn't very compelling.) About the best argument I hear is that he's not Politics-as-Usual. But change-for-change's-sake is too risky, in my opinion, especially in a nuclear age.

Anyway, here are some reasons why I should vote for Hillary Clinton.

Both the main parties support women's rights and affordable healthcare (but have different views on how to do it) and reforms on immigration where both accept legal immigrants though the Democrats are somewhat slack on those who enter illegally. If the US stopped spending trillions of dollars of inciting wars in the Middle East it could afford to provide free healthcare for all.

Both the main parties support women's rights and affordable healthcare (but have different views on how to do it) and reforms on immigration where both accept legal immigrants though the Democrats are somewhat slack on those who enter illegally. If the US stopped spending trillions of dollars of inciting wars in the Middle East it could afford to provide free healthcare for all.
Neither party actually supports affordable healthcare -- they can't afford to and still hope to be re-elected.

Our ability to afford it is not in question, and the mechanisms of an efficient, inexpensive health care system are well known from the examples of other nations. The stumbling block is the vast medical industry, their army of lobbyists and their massive campaign funding of co-operative legislators. The interests of the 99% simply do not factor in. There are too many fingers in the pie.

The Republican plan to reform healthcare is to have the Government offer a little bit less help than it is offering now. Seriously.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...-health-care-plan-not-much-care-not-much-plan

The only way the Republicans are trying to make health care more affordable is to cut the taxes on high earners that are redirected into the current health care system.
They only care about making life affordable for the 1%. Seriously.

Democrats, like Clinton, supporting actual progress in making healthcare affordable for the people who need it are actually in great contrast to Republicans.

Neither party actually supports affordable healthcare -- they can't afford to and still hope to be re-elected.

Our ability to afford it is not in question, and the mechanisms of an efficient, inexpensive health care system are well known from the examples of other nations. The stumbling block is the vast medical industry, their army of lobbyists and their massive campaign funding of co-operative legislators. The interests of the 99% simply do not factor in. There are too many fingers in the pie.

It's tru what you said about affordability not being the problem but the US expenditure in wars has run into trillions of dollars. It seems the countries it doesn't like were more advanced on this issue. Cuba has one, Libya had one. When I worked in China in Qingdao off Shanghai, anyone who visited a doctor just paid 10 RMB (US$1.40) and had to have a full medical for any ailment such as a cough or flu. War veterans get free medical care and free medicines in China.

Britain has free healthcare in many cases and an NHS system which though overloaded is still providing a service. It is however not as free as it used to be and patients have to be means tested.

Back
Top Bottom