• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The City That’s Giving People Money

Back in the 50s and 60s an adult male working as an unskilled labor could afford a small house and a family. Not anymore.

A white American. The worst jobs were either non-white or not in the USA. We didn't see them, that doesn't mean they weren't there.

Yes there was Jim Crow, but there was also a black middle class udder the principle of separate but equal.. Middle class black communities and neighborhoods with schools, banks, business, lawyers and so on.

In the early days of jazz the music was rejected by some educated blacks as coarse and unsophisticated. Musicians who could not read music and played by ear.

Which is irrelevant to my point. The civil rights movement means whites have to share the pain.

You pick an irrelevant yardstick and complain that it's irrelevant. You have simply decided there's a problem, you aren't showing there is one. The standard "proof" of the problem is seriously flawed--it's unions bemoaning the fact that union jobs aren't the good jobs anymore.

Except the tax receipts do not support this assertion. The top rate was a lot higher, tax take as a % of GNP didn't have a big difference.

Sure. :rolleyes:

Your numbers are contradicted by reality.

Hauser says otherwise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauser's_law

Taxes at every bracket were higher. Per capita GDP was far lower. Income tax receipts as a proportion of GDP were dramatically greater then than now.

Total taxation revenue is not relevant to my argument; So Hauser's Law is a red herring.

I am talking about redistriution of income, via income taxation.

Please try to keep up.

You seem to be confusing the top tax rate with the amount of income tax collected. The former has varied widely but when it's been high there have been more ways around it. The actual money collected doesn't vary that much.

What part of 'at every bracket' makes you think that the top tax rate is my concern?

Yes there was Jim Crow, but there was also a black middle class udder the principle of separate but equal.. Middle class black communities and neighborhoods with schools, banks, business, lawyers and so on.

In the early days of jazz the music was rejected by some educated blacks as coarse and unsophisticated. Musicians who could not read music and played by ear.

Which is irrelevant to my point. The civil rights movement means whites have to share the pain.

My crown of thorns is out for sharpening. The back historian Gates did a series on the slave trade. Turns out there are African families today whose prominence began with the save trade. Why not go after dependents of black Africans who profited from the slave trade? Arabs were part of it as well.

My concern is only how progress has been made.

You pick an irrelevant yardstick and complain that it's irrelevant. You have simply decided there's a problem, you aren't showing there is one. The standard "proof" of the problem is seriously flawed--it's unions bemoaning the fact that union jobs aren't the good jobs anymore.

Except the tax receipts do not support this assertion. The top rate was a lot higher, tax take as a % of GNP didn't have a big difference.

Sure. :rolleyes:

Your numbers are contradicted by reality.

Hauser says otherwise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauser's_law

Taxes at every bracket were higher. Per capita GDP was far lower. Income tax receipts as a proportion of GDP were dramatically greater then than now.

Total taxation revenue is not relevant to my argument; So Hauser's Law is a red herring.

I am talking about redistriution of income, via income taxation.

Please try to keep up.

You seem to be confusing the top tax rate with the amount of income tax collected. The former has varied widely but when it's been high there have been more ways around it. The actual money collected doesn't vary that much.

What part of 'at every bracket' makes you think that the top tax rate is my concern?

Deductions are taken before the tax brackets are applied. His Flatulence's tax "cuts" were tax increases for many large families and some others that got screwed by changes to what is deductible.

My crown of thorns is out for sharpening. The back historian Gates did a series on the slave trade. Turns out there are African families today whose prominence began with the save trade. Why not go after dependents of black Africans who profited from the slave trade? Arabs were part of it as well.

I don't believe we should be going after the descendants of slavers. There's no stolen property to recover, it simply comes down to punishing people for who their parents are.

I don't believe we should be going after the descendants of slavers. There's no stolen property to recover, it simply comes down to punishing people for who their parents are.

I do not carry the weight of the world. I was not responsible for slavery. I do what I have always done, try to improve the environment around me when it comes to race and other social issues. There are many whites who simply do not grasp what Jim Crow was. I have empathy but I do not walk around every day feeling pain over slavery. There is joint to wearing sackcloth and ashes. and whipping myself. It accomplishes nothing.

What matters is what we collectively do in our daily lives. It is as any political action.

I do not expect Germans or Japanese born today to carry any emotional burden for WWII.

I sit for meals with 2 people. A white guy from Nebraska and a black guy who grew up in La under the worse of Jim Crow. The white guy was clueless. He never had any interaction with blacks as a kid or an adult. He was filled with stereotypes and ignorance of the social issues. Both are in their 70s. The best thing we can do is promote awareness.

Back
Top Bottom