• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The death of a pet animal

Philos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
Our hamster has died

His name is Felix. He lived a long time, was always friendly and peaceful to be around. Two days ago he was taking pieces of carrot from my hand, then he seemed muddled and then today my wife found him in one of his his tubes, dead.

There are so many things to say about Felix. There was the way he reacted to us, always coming out of his nest at the sound of my voice. There was the way he was gentle with our fingers, and the time when he escaped he decided to come back again. OK, I know about anthropomorphism, and I also know that Felix made his choices. I liked his individualism and his attention to detail, so much like me. In the moment of his big adventure, he chose safety and what he knew. Maybe I would do the same.

He is in the kitchen, in a little box with his name on it. He will be missed.

What are your experiences with the life and death of a pet animal?

A.

Well first off, sorry to hear about Felix. Hamsters don't often live very long, so it is great that you had him long enough to know him so well.

For me, the most recent was my old dog Ginger. She lived a very long time. 18 years. She'd been in deteriorating health for awhile, and then one day she seemed to turn a corner. It was time. I left for work that morning and resolved to take her on that last trip to the vet the following day. I was heartbroken. When I got home from work she was lying out in her usual spot in the yard, but she was already gone. The old girl beat me to the punch.

I think that on some level our pets are there to teach us about death. They don't live very long relative to us, so there's a lesson about the impermanence of life to be taken away. It perhaps softens the blow when one of our own dies.

Well first off, sorry to hear about Felix. Hamsters don't often live very long, so it is great that you had him long enough to know him so well.

For me, the most recent was my old dog Ginger. She lived a very long time. 18 years. She'd been in deteriorating health for awhile, and then one day she seemed to turn a corner. It was time. I left for work that morning and resolved to take her on that last trip to the vet the following day. I was heartbroken. When I got home from work she was lying out in her usual spot in the yard, but she was already gone. The old girl beat me to the punch.

I think that on some level our pets are there to teach us about death. They don't live very long relative to us, so there's a lesson about the impermanence of life to be taken away. It perhaps softens the blow when one of our own dies.

Ford,

Thanks. I totally get it with Ginger, at least you didn't have to say the word to the vet.

Yes, I agree with your sentiment too. My wife and I, both nearing 70, have had the conversation. Neither of us want to be the one left behind. But, for now, life goes on and we will go for another hamster in due time. Our little burial plot on the allotment is growing now, with four hamsters in there.

We are not really animal people, but with the family grown it is important to have another little life in the house. :) I don't really like cages, but of all the small animals, hamsters find a lot to do and don't seem to mind living solo. We always have one which has been left in the shop, unwanted or returned.

ATB,

Alex.

While not knowing anything about consciousness, I still have an optimism that it cannot be destroyed.

A Dead Mole by Andrew Young.

Strong-shouldered mole,
That so much lived below the ground,
Dug, fought and loved, hunted and fed,
For you to raise a mound
Was as for us to make a hole;
What wonder now that being dead
Your body lies here stout and square
Buried within the blue vault of the air?

I think they meet their deaths with an intuitive understanding which we have perhaps lost touch with.
I'm sorry it gets so painful.

I've never been keen on having a pet for a myriad of reasons but when you have two young daughters it is very difficult to resist their pleas for a furry friend. A neighbor had a rabbit that gave birth to four adorable little rabbits and we ended up with one of them. We kept him in the backyard and let him have the run of the place. He was a funny little thing and very cute. I used to sit outside with my feet on a stool and he would hop up on the stool and keep me company for a while. He hated being put in his cage so we usually just let him stay out, night and day. There was some risk to this as we have coyotes and birds of prey lurking about. And of course the swimming pool which he did take a dip in, not sure if by accident or design. I got really attached to the little fella. He took ill one day and the kids were so upset. Not many vets cater to rabbits but my wife found one in Beverly Hills, miles from where we live. Now, I could see the writing on the wall and did not want to take him to the vet, I reckoned he'd be dead by morning no matter what, he was a decent age. But through floods of tears I had to relent and off he went to the vet. My wife called me from the vet, "they want to keep him in overnight and it's $700 for the treatment". I was like, bring him home but the kids are there and I can hear them crying. Anyway, $700 and 24 hours later he died right in front of my youngest daughter. We were all very upset to lose our furry family member but such is life. And the local animal control center took him off our hands for disposal at a cost of about $20. He was never replaced but I would have a rabbit again.

I've been taking in feral cats for a good while and it always ends in pain. There is a spot on the hill where they breed and then wander down into man land. They end up playing Dances with Wolves with me because wild cats fascinate me. They never got their shots as a kitten, so by the time I nearly domesticate them - they die. Liver or kidney disease. Cats are susceptible to so many things.

All I do is worm them and make sure they don't have lice or ticks. Nature does the rest, and nature apparently likes to kill them. Or I'll accidentally run over them. Last one was a really painful loss. It had a little buddy, and his little buddy isn't aware that he is dead yet, because I did not let him decompose on the hill long enough. His death never got a chance to sink in. Now my main cat is always searching for his little buddy, and that is almost as sad as watching a cat slowly die, and having no money to take it for treatment. At least these feral cats get to know human love before they inevitably die young.

The list of cats I've seen die is long, and warped by salty tears of saddy sadness. Cats I sometimes think are wiser than humans. I think they have a higher capacity for love, and their viciousness is in balance, unlike humans'. Every cat is unique. I've never met identical cat personalities. Quick fact: you can teach cats to love getting their bellies rubbed. But yeah, they die constantly. It sucks.

another1,

Yes, we have never met identical hamster personalities either. That came as a surprise.

A.

we have never met identical hamster personalities either. That came as a surprise

Probably goes for all animals. Maybe all animals have a unique personality if you get to know them. Dogs have more animated personalities than humans. Even their expressions are more accurate. Cats... hard to tell what is going on in a cat's head. I'm constantly surprised by cats. They have systematic ways to fool me into leaving them inside all night. draw my attention to another room and hide behind a counter - direct me to the other end of the room while then go behind the trash can... I'm outwitted by cats daily.

The ferals are probably huddled in a huge pile up on the hill that is littered with rabbit and bird bones. Very frigid tonight. I wonder how some animals deal with that. What the hell do deer do?

Philos, I am sorry to hear about Felix. I understand completely. I've raised a number of dogs, three gerbils and probably about a half a dozen hamsters, although only two were intentional. I agree that they all do have their own personalities, their own likes, dislikes, habits, their own ways about them, and their own ways of relating to the humans around them. It always breaks my heart a bit--ok--a lot-- to lose one. For me, it's especially hard losing a dog. My daughter says that our first dog as a family (distinct from the dogs of my childhood) was my soul mate. I don't really believe in the concept of soul mates, but I got what she meant. He was literally my dog in that he was a birthday present to me--and the best birthday present in the history of birthday presents. He was utterly and completely devoted to the whole family, and was a fierce, if gentle protector of all of the children. He came to us when our youngest was only 4 years old and served as bed mate, waker upper, after school greeter, soccer player, best seeker in any game of hide and seek, giver of unconditional love, fair and impartial referee in all the kids' squabbles (he did not approve!), washer of faces, and discrete disposer of all leftovers at any meals as well as doing an excellent job of pre-vacuuming up any crumbs. For all of that, he was MY dog, following me about throughout the day, laying on my feet, knocking me over to play if I had been outside weeding the garden too long, reminding me it was time to get to bed when I was up too late working on some project or another. He kept all secrets very safe. And our home as well. He was overcome with joy when our oldest son came home from college the first time, and every time. He remembered all the kids' friends and the sounds not just of their voices but of their cars! as those times came. He loved best of all to be surrounded by family and friends and would place himself in the center of any group gathered and just bask in the attention and in the sounds of his people talking and laughing. Oh, and taking care of any unwanted or unguarded bits of food.

Well, I will cry now, overcome with too much sentiment. The others have all been as fiercely beloved and loving, goofy, funny, cuddly, utterly faithful and always--ALWAYS-willing to ignore a bad mood and give you some space and always knowing when what you really needed was a walk or some cuddles. Or to share your sandwich or cookie.

One of our hamsters was extremely adventurous but also predictable. When he escaped--and he was an excellent escape artist--he could reliably be found in the same place: in the potato bin! Which was annoying as he had sampled most of the potatoes by the time I found him (morning after his midnight escape) so I had to throw out a good number of otherwise perfectly good potatoes. But he was sweet and fluffy and good with his little human. He was very much missed and his antics are still legend at our home, 20 years since.

Alex,

I am sorry for your loss.

I have not had an animal pass away naturally on me, at least not that I recall. The first cat I remember, was, I suspect, euthanised due to a snake bite and permanent paralysis when I was about 8. Other cats we have owned have simply wandered off and not come back - or at least, that is how I remember it. In some ways, I think we treat animals with more dignity than we do our elderly relatives.

In recent memory, I have lost three cats. Kodak, who ended up living with my mum until she was 20, was euthanised as she, like a lot of elderly beings, simply lost control of everything and it was kinder.

Lucky was next to pass. He was an ornery bugger who bit me to the bone on the day we euthanised him. He had had kidney trouble all his life and at the grand old age of 8 (twice the life expectancy the vets had expected), his kidneys started to literally disintegrate and so it was kinder to put him to sleep.

His mum, Mistie, followed about 18 months later when she collapsed completely while passing pure blood and it was discovered that she had multiple tumours in her bladder and around her kidneys. She never fully woke up and was given the green dream.

I have been lucky in that the same vet has pretty much administered to all of my cats, from 6 weeks old until their passing.

All had their own unique personalities. All of them are missed. And I cried every time.

I wasn't aware at the time, but I actually arranged for Lucky to be sent to 'Pet Heaven' which is actually a crematorium for pets. He was returned to me in an urn, which I put on the tv cabinet. Mistie, Lucky's mum, would look at it every time she walked past and nod at it. When the urn was moved, she would still look AT the urn and not at IT.

I hope you will get another hamster and remember Felix fondly. :D

Gaynor

Alex,

I have not had an animal pass away naturally on me, at least not that I recall. The first cat I remember, was, I suspect, euthanised due to a snake bite and permanent paralysis when I was about 8. Other cats we have owned have simply wandered off and not come back - or at least, that is how I remember it. In some ways, I think we treat animals with more dignity than we do our elderly relatives.

Hi Gaynor,

You are obviously a warm hearted animal lover, indeed generally warm hearted all over! :)

Here is a sad reason why I have only owned one dog in my life. As a teen I had a pure bred German Shepherd. His name was Sinbad. Anyway, he got sick very young with some kind of leukemia. One night he had a massive bleed, all over the kitchen floor, and we found him dead in the morning. There were deep scratches in the door where he had been trying to get to us.

I have never wanted another dog after that. :(

Alex.

Alex,

Hi Gaynor,

You are obviously a warm hearted animal lover, indeed generally warm hearted all over! :)

Here is a sad reason why I have only owned one dog in my life. As a teen I had a pure bred German Shepherd. His name was Sinbad. Anyway, he got sick very young with some kind of leukemia. One night he had a massive bleed, all over the kitchen floor, and we found him dead in the morning. There were deep scratches in the door where he had been trying to get to us.

I have never wanted another dog after that. :(

Alex.

Alex,

I don't blame you not wanting another dog.

Gaynor

Yeah I don't want another "pet" either. Twinky forced himself on me as a naturally friendly and curious feral. I liked watching and interacting a little but I wasn't ready for a new cat, after running over my decade old cat. Twinky didn't have any problem coming around, even without food involved. His dead friend Timmy was 100% feral and would injure himself trying to get out of a house. I'm going to pawn Twink off on someone nice, when it is time to move. The thought of him back out "there" is sad, because he seems born for human affection.

I was sitting on the verandah on the second day of my new home in the Rio Chico, when I heard a loud miaowing, getting nearer. Up the track came a tiny black and white cat, which came onto the verandah and gave me a right shouting at. It wouldn't come near, but it was hungry and thirsty, (it was a hot September day) so I was allowed to see to its immediate requirements.
After a few days, I was allowed to stroke her a couple of times while she ate, and eventually she decided I was OK.

My partner joins me for ten days every month, other than that, it's just Diva and me, and to avoid talking to myself, I talk to her. She prefers German.
She knows what's in my mind much better than I know what's going on in hers, and any excursion whether it be up the aceqia or just down to the compost heap has her zooming past me like a rocket, only to stop and beat up a leaf, then pause and take in the scene with me as I gaze at the mountains.

Sleeping in a hammock suits my back, and often in the night she lands on my chest, makes herself comfortable, and purrs to let me know the universe is unfolding as it should.
She's the shape of a rugby ball now -- I had the decision to make, and decided when I'd taken on the responsibility of caring for her, to allow her to have kittens before finally being neutered, as taking her to be 'done' would have broken her trust in me at that early stage.
I haven't signed anything - but I'm definitely 'under contract' and for my mundane contribution of food and shelter, her reciprocation is anything but mundane.

It'll be getting chilly on the verandah, I'll see if she wants to come in.
There's a bit of chicken left over from making the curry ...

I've bee married for 35 years and the only times I've seen my husband shed tears was after the death of two of our dogs. Kermit was almost 16, blind, deaf and incontinent. ( I put diapers on him when he was in the house ) One day Kermit became very ill, with vomiting and diarrhea. We decided that due to his age and failing health, the kindest thing was to have him humanely euthanized. My husband held him in his arms while the vet injected the lethal dose. I didn't really grieve because Kermit had enjoyed a good life and it was time to let go.

When my toy fox terrier experienced what looked like a stroke to me, we made the decision to have her put down. I was the one who held her while the vet injected the drug. When I got home, my husband and I held each other and tears streamed down our faces. Maggie May was only 11 but she had been treated for heart disease for about a year or two prior to her death. She was a delightful little bundle of love.

Billy Bee was my chihuahua. He once defended me against a large dangerous dog that had gotten out of his pen. Two days later that same dog tried to kill its pen mate. I told everyone that Billy Bee would have a wonderful life, no matter how cranky he became, as I honestly believe he may have saved my life as well as the life that day. Billy lived to be a few months shy of 16. He had arthritis and I gave him half of a baby aspirin for a few years prior to his death, which seemed to help his pain and mobility. Just like Kermit, he became violently ill one day after eating very little for several days. I made the decision that it was time to say goodbye. I held him in my arms while the vet gave him the deadly drug. I didn't really grieve because again, Billy Bee had a wonderful life and his time had come.

I have always been able to over come my loss by bringing another dog into my life almost immediately. I'm a dog nut and feel like life isn't complete without a dog companion. We currently have Zoie, a loving Brussels Griffin and Kiki, a fearless little rescue mixed breed. My husband is extremely attached to Kiki and I dread the day that she no longer exists. I feel the same way about Zoie, who is my faithful companion.

I also have two totally spoiled parrots that we made the mistake of bringing into our home over 25 years ago. Jammer was only three months old when we got her while Harley was a rescue we took in before we realized how difficult it can be living with parrots. I will be honest in saying that if I found them dead in their cages one day, I would probably be relieved. Parrots are very hard to live with but we have given them a wonderful life, more out moral obligation than out of love. Since they may out live us, I am starting to look into finding a sanctuary for them. Parrots frequently go from home to home because most people aren't willing to do what's needed to make them happy. At least in a sanctuary they would probably adjust and be around other parrots for company. I just hope to find a place for them where they will be treated well. Well, maybe I do love them, at least a little bit.

So, Philos, I'm sorry about the loss of your tiny pet and if you are anything like me, you'll find a replacement ASAP. :D

I don't know about the UK, but in the US there are countless numbers of abandoned pets that need homes. So, I've adopted the well known phrase, "Rescues are my favorite breed."

Our hamster has died

His name is Felix. He lived a long time, was always friendly and peaceful to be around. Two days ago he was taking pieces of carrot from my hand, then he seemed muddled and then today my wife found him in one of his his tubes, dead.

There are so many things to say about Felix. There was the way he reacted to us, always coming out of his nest at the sound of my voice. There was the way he was gentle with our fingers, and the time when he escaped he decided to come back again. OK, I know about anthropomorphism, and I also know that Felix made his choices. I liked his individualism and his attention to detail, so much like me. In the moment of his big adventure, he chose safety and what he knew. Maybe I would do the same.

A.

I am so sorry.

I had a gerbil once. He lived for 2 years. His cheek pouch got infected. I spent a lot of money trying to make him well. And I couldn't. He died on my birthday. That was a long long time ago. And I'm crying right now remembering.

If you love your pets and care for them, you never get over their deaths. If you feel you are to blame in any way for not noticing they were failing, then you really never get over the sorrow and guilt. I can't even think of some of my pets without breaking down.

I had dogs, a hamster, a rabbit, a pet snake, and several frogs and toads and turtles of all sorts. I used to have a big old tractor tire that the neighbor folks called the neighborhood zoo because I had so many animals in it at once when I was a little kid. The turtles got confortable enough they laid eggs and I had baby turtles. Some were of the pond slider variety and the others were of the box turtle variety--the ones with the black shells and yellow marks you see over east Texas. One time I got a pair of baby alligator snapping turtles. I got them before they had been out of the shell too long and learned to be mean. I kept them for a good five or six years and they were half a foot long when I let them all go. They must learn to be mean in the wild because they showed no fear of me, would eat from my hand, and I could pet their heads and love on them without them wanting to fight or bite back.

I had a Bernese Mountain dog , I knew when I got her that they only lived an average of 10 years. She was so beautiful and lively I could not resist getting her. She just loved everybody family,friends total strangers,we had her for 10 years. Then one day I noticed she had problems getting up and drinking a lot so I took her to the vet, he told me she was just getting up in her years and it was pretty much down hill from here. He suggested that maybe I should consider putting her down I told him I would think about it. I went home and didn't tell anyone what the doctor said ,like a fool I thought to myself it will get better. I foolishly kept her for another week watching her get worse,then i finally realized how selfish I was being to keep her going. I took her to the vet the next day and had her put down. I held her while the vet gave her the injection,I tried to keep my cool , but I cried at the vets office. He kindly put his hand on my shoulder and said "I understand", he left me for a few moments while I gathered myself together. When I came home my wife could see I was upset for see had only seen me cry twice when my parents passed away, my kids on the other hand had never seen their father cry. For the next week or so,every morning I got up looked for my dog than realizing she was gone.

Our hamster has died

A.

My condolences on the passing of Felix. My wife and I have had a menagerie of pets pass through our house over the decades, but cats have always ruled the roost. We tried to keep hamsters for a while, but they didn't mix well with the cats. In order to keep them from being eaten for any length of time, we had to put their habitrail up on top of a bookshelf. They went from being eaten by the cats when escaping, to taking a leap of faith off of the bookshelf when escaping, equally resulting in their demise, though in a much quicker fashion. After the Second Hamster Bookshelf Suicide, we gave up on the little rodents, and got a guinea pig. We went on vacation, and left a friend to care for the pets, he thought the guinea pig looked lonely, so he put a plant next to the cage to keep it company. The plant was not real, but rather made of plastic, but our guinea pig decided it looked edible anyway. The guinea pig did not survive.

The next rodent to enter the house as a pet was a rabbit, at the behest of our son, who was in first grade at the time, and kept drawing pictures of rabbits he wanted one so bad. A friend had bought a rabbit for his mother for Valentine's day (or Easter, or something), and she had no interest in keeping it, so we took the rabbit in, and our son named it Monkey. Monkey was a large and fabulous rabbit, and he was the first rodent that could actually stand up to our cats. If they came anywhere close to Monkey, he would give them the thumping of their lives with his back legs, and then just jump around in circles, taunting them. Monkey lived 6 years, which is about two years longer than the other two rabbits who followed. The cats never went near his successors, Lunchbox, and Chasing Amy.

On to those wonderful cats. The first cat we adopted as a couple, Sasha, was not the friendliest of cats. She had no love at all for the two miniature humans that invaded her home not long after we adopted her. After about a decade she eventually warmed to them, and in her old age she did get quite friendly. It was in her old age, however, that the kids gave her a new name "Undead Kitty". Seriously, Sasha just would not die. At the end she has lost most of her hair, all but one tooth, and had lost track of the litter box. She wasn't incontinent, she just decided that the kitchen table was a better place to do her business. She never got up on the table, except to do her business. As she was 22 years old at the time, and we were unable to correct her behavior, we had her put to sleep about a week later. It was tearful for my wife and I, but the kids had suffered many scars from Sasha the Undead Kitty over the years, so they got over it quickly. Our daughter had even contracted Cat Scratch Fever from Sasha at one point, so the kids had constructed a mythology around her stealing their life force each time she scratched them.

The worst loss for us was Simba. Simba was an Egyptian Mao, and by far the kids favorite pet over the years. He was the polar opposite of Sashsa, fun and friendly. He always kept his claws sheathed when playing with the kids, and he always wanted to be in someone's lap. He also had a fondness for pizza, and would steal it directly from your plate if you let him get near enough. When we first brought Simba home at 8 weeks old, we had a mixed rat/wire terrier named Misty who Simba loved to play with. Simba would attack Misty until Misty got tired of him, and then she would pick Simba up, head first, in her mouth, and carry him around until he was coated in dog slobber, then let him go to clean himself in the corner. Simba lived to be 18, which was a miracle, as at a year old x-rays revealed that he had a heart defect, and he was not supposed to live past 10.

Our most recent loss was Milkshake, an orange tabby we picked up as a stray one particularly cold winter (2004), the vet estimated his age at 5 at the time. Milkshake was a bit of an asshole to the other cats, and while generally friendly to humans, he was prone to get tired of petting after a while, issue a war cry, and then attack you if you continued to show affection. We still loved the little shit head, though. Last year Milkshake lost a lot of weight, and eventually took a turn for the worse, the vet said it was just old age, and there was nothing we could do. He just lost his appetite, and had not other issues except for weight loss. We were on vacation in Florida last November, and our kids were taking turns coming over to care for the pets. Our daughter found him dead on the back stairs the day before we were to head home. She was an emotional wreck about it, so we had to call our son to bury Milkshake in the back yard. The grave still seems fresh, and I chocked up a bit thinking about the little bastard just now.

Finally, we had a scare a week ago. We have two cats in the house now, both are geriatric. We have a 15 year old Siamese, and a 16 year old Maine Coon. Our Maine Coon, Emily, stopped eating, started getting weak, and eventually collapsed on the floor, bleeding from the mouth. We immediately took her to the vet. The bleeding was the result of ulcers in her mouth, which had ruptured, and that was likely the cause of her not eating as well (the ulcers, not their rupturing). The vet noted that she was dehydrated, and she also had an extremely low Red Blood Cell count. They wanted to do a blood transfusion, but we did not want to go to that expense, as she is old and has lived a long, happy life. It was touch and go for a few days, but we nursed her back to health, and though her appetite is still suppressed, she was doing much better when we took her back to the vet last night. She looks like she will likely make a full recovery.

Sorry for the long post, but as noted, we have had a menagerie of pets through the years, and I only really touched on the highlights with this post.

Back
Top Bottom